Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,755 Times in 2,542 Posts
Default They Sent Us To Just Fade Away And Die": Men Incarcerated at Cuomo’s Prison

They Sent Us To Just Fade Away And Die": Men Incarcerated at Cuomo’s Prison Nursing Home Say They Can’t Access Medical Care

"An 80-year-old man, suffering from osteoporosis, ordered to do manual labor. A 63-year-old with AIDS deprived of a routine blood test. A 64-year-old with chronic lung disease unable to see a doctor.

These are some of the stories from men incarcerated at the Adirondack Correctional Facility, a prison in Ray Brook, New York, just south of the Canadian border. Nearly 100 inmates over the age of 60 were hastily transferred there in June, as COVID-19 was spreading through downstate prisons.

But now some of them say they’re denied basic medical care and fear succumbing to treatable conditions."

https://gothamist.com/news/men-incar...LBiJgyUJAf2vqA
Old 09-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,205 Times in 529 Posts

I won’t comment on anyone’s experiences, only to correct one statement: Cuomo has never been a friend to corrections, or saving jobs.
Right now NYS is waiting to hear what facilities are closing. Cuomo states 7.
He is about politics. Not saving jobs or spending money on older inmates, just send them north where there is no Covid.
And he’s in deep with the nursing homes.
Cuomo makes all the decisions.
God help us all.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,590 Times in 2,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
I won’t comment on anyone’s experiences, only to correct one statement: Cuomo has never been a friend to corrections, or saving jobs.
He is about politics. Not saving jobs or spending money on older inmates, just send them north where there is no Covid.
God help us all.
7? Double bunking will be 10x worse and COVID will be worse
Old 09-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
God help us all.
Speaking of going up north are they moving inmates yet to go upstate i haven't heard anything i no that there was a stop to that but haven't heard anything lately
Old 09-08-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Yeah sounds like a disaster waiting to happen just like he did the no bail reform the crime is double than what it was so sad
Old 09-08-2020, 06:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,205 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
YES!!! I forgot about the double bunking lawsuits... it was only supposed to be temporary, and every inmate signed a contract that they can request a single in sixty days, if move is possible.
Do you know how many years this has been? It’s horrendous and inhuman. And it’s his choice so he can close facilities. And he is not hiring more staff to accommodate, so you have a state where Covid is releasing those early who qualify (decisions made in Albany), but you are left with hardcore violent and gang violence with less staffing putting other inmates in jeopardy.
What happens on the street eventually comes inside. And chaos ensues. I know more old timers who just want to stay in their “house” and read than deal with the bs.
Sad state of affairs. Cuomo owns this.
Pardon my vent.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:14 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,590 Times in 2,169 Posts

Quote:
YES!!! I forgot about the double bunking lawsuits... it was only supposed to be temporary, and every inmate signed a contract that they can request a single in sixty days, if move is possible.
Do you know how many years this has been? It’s horrendous and inhuman. And it’s his choice so he can close facilities. And he is not hiring more staff to accommodate, so you have a state where Covid is releasing those early who qualify (decisions made in Albany), but you are left with hardcore violent and gang violence with less staffing putting other inmates in jeopardy.
What happens on the street eventually comes inside. And chaos ensues. I know more old timers who just want to stay in their “house” and read than deal with the bs.
Sad state of affairs. Cuomo owns this.
Pardon my vent.
How many years until your retirement?
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (09-09-2020)