Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:35 PM

Default FCI--Taft

my father, age 73, just started serving an 8 month sentence at taft. I'm very worried for him, he's been there 5 days and we haven't heard from him yet. I wonder what he is doing with his days, is he eating and sleeping o.k...it is very hard to not have heard from him. Does anyone know if they can wear shorts in this heat? Any information on Taft would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2005, 06:33 AM

It is likely that you dad's in segregation pending a bed for him. They can wear shorts on their free time but not in the dining room or to work assignments.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:46 PM

Hey Racer, you sure he isn't 70?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:09 PM

The only phone call they can make initially is to someone on their PSI. Others they have to go through an approval process to call. That could take a week, depending upon the COs attitude of the day.

Taft uses collect calls or they can buy phone cards in the commissary. For us it is less than half the cost to use the phone card. They get 300 minutes of phone time per month which they pay either of those ways and they can call anyone on their approved list.

Watch the mail for him to send visiting approval forms. Turn them around ASAP. They get mailed to the counselor.

I just overhead the operator today giving instructions to still mail US Postal money orders directly to them for commissary. Or, you can put them through a slot when visiting.

Visiting is modest clothing that is not white or shades of tan/khaki
Old 07-31-2005, 11:12 PM

My dad is also at Taft.. It takes a few days to get phone privledges - he will be OK!!! No shorts - lots of A/C in different areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
my father, age 73, just started serving an 8 month sentence at taft. I'm very worried for him, he's been there 5 days and we haven't heard from him yet. I wonder what he is doing with his days, is he eating and sleeping o.k...it is very hard to not have heard from him. Does anyone know if they can wear shorts in this heat? Any information on Taft would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Default FCI Taft CAMP

FCI Taft Camp

ABSTRACT

Located in the Joaquin Valley of southern California, surrounded by miles of desert, scrub bushes and Joshua trees, FCI Taft Camp houses about 600 inmates in four separate housing units (A4A, A4B, A4C & A4D). Taft Camp is a non-secure satellite facility managed by MTC (Management Training Company?) a for-profit private prison operator. Prior to 2007, FCI Taft was managed and operated by The GEO Group, another for-profit private prison operator. Financial issues at Taft are paramount given the profit motive associated with the private operators. Inmate population at the camp is evenly mixed with: 40% Spanish, 30% blacks and 30% whites. The different races cohabitate well.

The following narrative is based on my experience at the FCI Taft Camp in 2006. I was at Taft Camp before receiving two incident reports, increasing my points and being shipped to FCI Lompoc Low. This editorial does not contain insights regarding institutional life at the Low security main compound at FCI Taft.

WEATHER

Located in the middle of the desert, average daily summer temperatures are scorching and often in excess of 100 degrees under scalding sunny skies. Summer heat can be problematic. As such, the living units, chow-hall, education building and all support facilities are air-conditioned. Average daily winter temperatures are pleasant and generally 60-70 degrees. Winter coats are distributed to inmates but worn for only a few months.

HOUSING UNITS

Built in the late 1990's, the Taft Camp maintains very modern living quarters with two-man and three-man cubicles in a two-story concrete building. Each living unit is self contained on a single floor with three TV rooms (one each for Spanish, blacks & whites), laundry with washers & dryers, microwave room, quiet room with two tables, an enormous day room with more TV's, chairs and tables. The living units contain ample toilets, showers and sinks all with modern fixtures. There are generally no waiting lines for bathroom facilities. The living facilities at Taft Camp are very, very nice.

FOOD & COMMISSARY

Food sucks. This is entirely due to the profit motive associated with the private prison operators who attempt to minimize food costs. In 2006, there was a rumor that the GEO Group was able to reduce food costs to 53 cents per man/per day. Commissary was superb! This is again due to the profit motive associated with the private prison operators. The more commissary they can sell to the inmates, the more profit they record.

UNICOR – PRISON INDUSTRIES

None.

NON-UNICOR EMPLOYMENT

Like many other federal prisons, there is a scarcity of work at the Taft Camp. Each inmate is assigned work 7 hours per day but that work may require only 10 minutes of actual labor.

Inmates with Community Custody status are eligible to participate in the institution's work furlough program where they can leave the prison and work construction or landscaping jobs in the surrounding towns. In 2006, the work release "out-crews" were employed at a local church doing construction work, in the City of Maricopa performing landscaping work and on a highway beautification project gathering trash from local roads. Inmates on the “out-crews” eat real food for lunch outside the prison. Such meals often consist of pizza and the like. Given the terrible food at the prison, many inmates participate in the work release program just for the food. Very few inmates at the Taft Camp are eligible to participate in the work furlough program. In 2006, of the 600 inmates at Taft Camp, only about 25 inmates worked in the program.

IMMIGRATION

No immigration issues at the camp.

RELIGION

Weekly religious services for all faiths are offered in the camp visiting room. Acoustic and electric guitars and other musical instruments are available for such services.

RECREATION

Recreation is limited at Taft Camp.

Outdoor facilities include: circuit training with a running track, pull-up and dip-bars, softball field, soccer field, basketball court, two tennis courts, bocce, horseshoes, exercise bicycles, medicine balls, elliptical trainers and treadmills. Indoor facilities are limited to a crafts shop and other similar classes. There is no indoor gymnasium at Taft Camp.

LIBRARY & EDUCATION

The leisure reading and law libraries at Taft Camp are very good and include a wide selection of books, magazines, newspapers, legal resources, typewriters and a photocopy machine. Inmate legal clerks provide legal advice and will prepare briefs and other related legal documents for inmates in need of such. In 2006, several ex-lawyers worked in the law library as inmate legal clerks. The library provides typewriter cartridges, correction ribbons and paper free-of-charge.

Inmates without high school diplomas must participate in the institution’s mandatory GED program. In 2006, college correspondence courses were offered through Taft College. Not sure if such college classes are currently offered after the management change from GEO to MTC.

CONTRABAND

Limited. The open campus allows for the introduction of drugs & alcohol however such items were limited in volume. In 2006, prior to the management change, tobacco was sold in the commissary. Not sure if Taft Camp went non-smoking in 2007.

VIOLENCE

Very rare. I was at Taft Camp for 1 ½ years and saw only one altercation.
CONCLUSION

Taft Camp is hot and boring. It’s a safe place to do federal time and is most suitable for sports enthusiasts who enjoy playing tennis and basketball all day.

The biggest perk at Taft Camp is the work-release programs IF you can obtain Community Custody and qualify for work-furloughs. Time goes very quickly while employed on the “out-crews”.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Archie999 For This Useful Post:
gem45 (08-12-2012), wooman7 (03-26-2012)
Old 10-03-2007, 08:38 AM

WOW!!!!
This was great info, a good picture of what Taft camp is like!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to curlyhead For This Useful Post:
Duckfeeder (04-11-2009)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM
LaHarry

Default Any Info on Taft CI..?

Hi all love this site... Can anyone help me with an info on Taft CI...I'm on my way there for 5 months...never done time befor so i have no idea what to excep. What can i take?, what can i except beginning, during? How is it inside, can i leave for outside work for non-profit while in CI not the camp...Thank's all...Harry
Old 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
a Realist NOT an enabler!

Good Luck....I PM'ed you

xoxox Leslie

Poor planning and irresponsibility on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

We have a member who reported to Taft CI a couple months ago. He says it's a cakewalk - one of the best places you can be designated. Thinks placement there is a "reward" for some inmates. It's privately operated, so you can still smoke there - outside. I don't think you can go work off-grounds. Check out the "self-surrender" forum on this federal site and you can find out more about what you can take with you, etc. Z.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:26 AM

hi laharry... PM me. My husband has been at the low for the last 7 months (although they are transferring him AGAIN)... he is not at the camp. If your are going to the low and not the camp.. I can give you lots of info.. he too says it is the best place you can be...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Donation Award 

Default Anyone have info about TAFT visits?

I will be visiting my husband at taft CI in CA. I 'm not sure what to expect. CAn someone help???
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Donation Award 

My husband is headed to Taft Ci the camp side. Any info you can share with me also I would LOVE!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 AM

Default jwjgirl

I just saw your posting if you haven't gone yet here's some info: visiting hours are from 8 til 3 make sure you don't wear khaki, white, or gray and no flip-flops your shoes must always have a back you can take up to $20 per person and everyone there is really laid back enjoy your visit
Old 03-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Donation Award 

Default Anyone have someone at Taft camp?

I called today to see if my husband is there and to find out why he hasn't called since he transfered there last week. Same stupid answers. "He'll call eventually".

Does anyone have a loved one at the camp? I need to find out if my husband is really at the camp and not at the medium. I'm a little worried since it was just a transfer and he hasn't called yet.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I MISS MY HUBBY CHITO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betosangel View Post
hi laharry... PM me. My husband has been at the low for the last 7 months (although they are transferring him AGAIN)... he is not at the camp. If your are going to the low and not the camp.. I can give you lots of info.. he too says it is the best place you can be...
HI CAN YOU GIVE ME INFO ON TAFT CI LOW NOT THE CAMP PLEASE! MY HUSBAND SELF SURRENDER HIM SELF IM SO SCARED I HEARD THE CAMP IS A DECENT PLACE BUT, I HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THE LOW SIDE CAN YOU PLEASE SHARE ANY INFO NOBODY HAS GIVEN ME ANY INFO THANKS!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 PM

My husband is spending time at taft low he says it is the best place he has been. They have ither 2 or 3 to a cell, calls are prepaid and pretty cheap. he says it is like having a walmart in the prison becouse he can buy any thing he needs. they do let you work but only inside the prison not out. as far as taking anything in the prison i belive the only thing you can take is a wedding ring. You can have a magazine subsciption mail to you other than that you can only recive letters and pictures. If there is some who will be sending you money while you are in they have to get a money order from the post office and it can take any where from 3 days to 9 days to recive it. If you have any thing elts you would like to know about it let me know and I will do my best to help you. good luck
Old 05-10-2008, 01:22 AM

Just dropped my husband off at taft, does anybody know the visitation process on hold long it will take to see him. Please let me know if any body has any infomation. T
Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Just dropped my husband off at taft, does anybody know the visitation process on hold long it will take to see him. Please let me know if any body has any infomation. T
You should go to the FEDERAL PRISON VISITATION forum. There is already a thread about CI Taft visitation
hcsjv0 (05-13-2008)
Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Hello and God Bless you all and your families I'm new at this so please bear with me my husband might get sent to taft and there was some rumors going around that Taft had Valley Fever can anyone confirm that and if so how might he be able to prevent catching it I'm not familiar exactly with that but maybe I'll go online and get more information on Valley Fever
so if any one know please write back and once again may God Bless You All.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 AM

Default Any Taft camp wives out there?

Hi all. My husband has been at Taft camp since this past June. I haven't seen much here from Taft wives so am wondering who you all are. And I have a question to start off with. If any of you travel to visit your men, what is a good place to stay? I have looked and found the few places in the city of Taft but it's hard to tell how nice they are. I live 1000 miles away, so any visit is going to involve a plane ticket, rental car and a motel room. A room cheap but clean would be nice. A pool wouldn't hurt.

Pam from Washington state.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Entitled

Hi, my BF used to be at Taft camp until his move last Oct. to Sheridan OR...my situation is just like yours only in reverse :-)

Old 09-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Sheridan was where we were hoping he would be sent. It would have been so simple, just a couple hour drive away. NInstead he was sent 16 hours by car or $$$ by plane. Going to be hard to fit visits into the budget.

So, have you been up to Sheridan for a visit?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

Ponypamela: From all the accounts I've heard, folks like Taft better than the Sheridan camp. The travel is difficult though. How long does he have to serve? If it's more than 18 months, he might submit a transfer request to Sheridan for the latter part of his sentence. Z.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM

He was sentenced to 18 months. So he won't be putting in for any transfers. We had already read the posts about Taft being nicer then Sheridan and so far, he says the place isn't bad, except for the heat (consistantly over 100) and smoke and smog and brown recluse spiders.

So, the only bad thing is the distance. He feels SO far away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ponypamela For This Useful Post:
NeverDull (04-05-2012)