Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Default Atlanta camp

I'm self surrendering to Atlanta on Feb. 24th 2010. I was wanting some info on the camp. Things like living conditions, food, do they have a weight pile, educational programs, any info you have. Would like to chat with someone who has been there or has info. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Carpe Diem

Default USP Atlanta - Holdover - can they call only certain days?

My man's at USP Atlanta holdover at the moment, awaiting transfer.

The threads I've found concerning calls from there are from back in -06...

Can they only call on certain days from there or something? My man got there on a Friday - his mom called me the following day (he'd called her).

Then, nothing - until the next Friday. I missed BOTH of his calls that day. AND I missed his call Saturday.

Then, again, nothing.

Someone enlighten me, please?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM

If I remember correctly..my BF was there twice during transfers..he would call in the morning between 9-11. I think they're locked down for 23 hrs a day. I work so I would only get his call on the week-ends.

The Following User Says Thank You to tolong For This Useful Post:
borealis (02-18-2010)
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Carpe Diem

Thank you, tolong!

The Following User Says Thank You to borealis For This Useful Post:
tolong (02-18-2010)
Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM

OH..I didn't realize your in Scandinavia..not sure what the time difference is!!! Your gonna have to do some calculations!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
waiting for daddy

My man was just there about a week ago. He said that they are locked down 23hrs during the week and all day on the weekend. They only get to take showers on certain days but it is during there hour out. So your man may be able to call you mon-fri depending on how long the phone and shower lines are. my man usually called four times a week when he was there.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Carpe Diem

Thank you again to you all.
He is now in transit to his next holdover, so now I'll be wondering again 'til his next call. LOL.

But thank you all for your kind replies!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:25 PM

Default Looking for info. on USP Atlanta

to this website )The B.O.P says that my bro.is at USP-Atlanta but our family has not got a phone call or a letter from him do they not let them call for the first month or so? and do they let them know when they have money in there account? thanks for any info you may have about this prison
Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 AM

My husband was in USP Atlanta for about a year. Let's see for about 6 weeks or so he was in a lock down stage when he first got there. He was out of his cell for about 30 minutes a day to shower and use the phone. He had to wait in line with all the other lockdown people so he usually called for like 2 minutes to let me know he was okay and it was usually at the crack of dawn like 7 am. I don't think he wrote either when he first got there. Then they moved him out into general population and things were alot better and he could call whenever. The visits there kind of suck cause you have to sit across from each other and lean forward just to hear what the other person is saying. He didn't mind it there though, it's a huge, old, ugly, dated place though. He's been gone from there for nearly a year now, he's in a much better place. Most people don't stay there long term from my understanding. It's kind of like a holding place for most. If you think of anything else you need to know let me know and I'll try to answer your questions. Good Luck
Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,601 Posts

Mines there in 'hold over' mode and hates it. Like posted above, they get out to use the phone and shower once a day (crack of dawn is right) and he said there are roaches and rats where he's being temporarily held.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts
Default USP Atlanta visiting Help ? Belling? anyone?

As some of you remember my grandson was sent to usp atlanta.
1st he was there only about 2 weeks and got own a 30 day restriction. Yesterday--- he went to the counselor who is black and was going to ask about where to have his Mom send his GED and home school degree. He has already done that as it is not in his psi. They wanted him to go take his Ged again and he told them he had already and his Mom had the papers. He mastered all his test and scored high. She called him a Stupid White ass boy. She has never liked him. He was suppose to have said something back to her, But he said he did not. So she wrote him up and he saw the Lt yesterday and he is in the hole is all we no. He has never been able to call us for 35 days and we have not been able to go see him. MY Question is? How can a black call us Stupid Ass White Boy and get away with this? Also who can I talk to about this?
Who do I contact about them taking all his privileges away Not even letting us Visit. Is it not true that even the SHU gets Visits?
We are not raciest and I no they are making small things into big one. It is a raciest prison. As it is 85 black 10% white and 5% other race. Who do I contact about us visiting? I am ready to go down there and ask to talk to warden- it would not help. Or do I call our congressman?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Thumbs down Atlanta USP

I saw that race was a problem the short time that I was there.

I guess you could go to that person's supervisor and complain and hope that it will do some good.

There is definitely an accountability problem within the BOP from what I could tell (as with most Federal Gov't agencies) in that many employees act as if they aren't accountable for their actions.

The conditions at the prison are almost medieval with rats and roaches all over the place.They are probably no better than when Al Capone was there.

I had better living conditions in a tent in the desert during the war than I did at USP Atlanta.Amnesty International anyone?

But I digress. You could always go to the warden but I would go outside of the BOP if I could. A Congressman wouldn't be a bad idea.

Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,336 Posts

I say stay out of it, unless he specifically asks you to intervene. You run the risk of making things worse. In the scope of things, this is not a huge deal. Unpleasant, and a hassle, but we all deal with such stuff in our worlds, in and out of jail. Maybe this will help him understand the consequences of not following rules and help him grow up, which as you have said, he needs to do.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

I also think a complaint from you wouldn't help matters. My husband has taken the GED four times I think. He always says, well, he has the time to do it and why argue with them! (They used to pay them $25.00 to pass the GED which is why I think he was happy to do it the first three times or so.) I would think that suspending visiting privileges would not be part of the sanction - maybe you can have him send you a copy of his DHO report. As to whether there is visiting at USP Atlanta for those in SHU, someone else may have that information for you.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks Zelda, I am in touch with a man who was there when this was said. And I am going to call and find out about the visitation. He said he got a bad deal. We don't no anything yet, this man is trying to find out, He was in the presence of what the Counselor said and saw her write him up. He had to go see the Lt, So I am waiting hoping we can visit, His visitation was just approved last week! It took from May 6 when he went until last week for them to call him in office and tell him we were approved! And I have never done anything wrong except got 2 tickets in 59 yrs of driving!! I hope some one can come along that can help shed some light We have not been able to visit him since he left and hie mom and stepdad, brother, Me all had to be approved. When my brother was at Elkton we did not have to be, his immediate family.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 PM

They have video visitation there at the USP for people in lockup/Shu. I had a problem the first time that I went to visit, on just a regular visit. I had waited the whole time to be approved, and it took a while, even though I was on the psi and everything. Anyways, his counselor never put me on the approved list, even though he told my husband I was approved. So I drove all the way down there, spent the night, all that, then they were like he doesn't have a visitation list at all you've got to leave. I hadn't seen him at that point in over 3 months, no one had, and I just broke down, tears running down my face and all that. So I was like screw this,and marched myself up to the front of that massive place, b/c the co's said I should go up front and file a complaint. Ok these jerks, there is no door or up front, but of course I didn't know that. Anyways, I go up and walk up those big steps and I was really crying about hysterical at this point. And these co's open up the windows and were like mam you're not supposed to be up here, and they saw me crying and were like what's wrong. So I told them, and they got this guy named Mr. Epps on the phone, and the guy said look go back down to the visitation area, whatever you do don't be rude to the co's down there, but don't back down either. He said you be polite but firm. So here I go thinking all is hopeless, it was a hike too, and by the time I opened the door down there, they were like mam, you're okay you can come on thru and they took me straight back. So maybe if you could find out who that Mr. Epps is and explain they might can help you. But I do know that we always stopped on the way to the visitation room and on the way out, and dropped off and picked up people in the video visitation room who were visiting people in the shu. Hope that's helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to badwsc For This Useful Post:
boflipflops36 (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks for posting this, Can they take there visitation away? According to the BOP USP they are allowed visitation, I was thinking about driving down there its only 31/2 hrs. and just go and see if they turn me away. I got a letter from him today and his privileges have been took away for 45 days again-- It was suppose to be up Aug 4. This is 2- 45 day privelages taking for petty stuff. He only ask for a cop-out, and she called him Stupid Ass White Boy!! There are a lot going own at that prison that the BOP Higher up needs to investigate.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,336 Posts

Atlanta is a rough place and that impacts those who don't need so much restriction. If you can handle the rejection and at least go to Peachtree Mall (I don't really think that is your kind of place) or Buckhead or a Museum or whatever you like ther, so it isn't a wasted trip if you see. him. Give him a stern lecture, his behavior hurts you way more than it hurts him. You are such a great granny!.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
boflipflops36 (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM

B- thanks for the compliment, But I am one who don't say never. We don't no until we try. Rejection is part of the prison process. The lady who wrote him got in another man face and told him she would have his room searched and find a shank! To much raciest in that prison. As my brother said it is prison! I read in the parent forum a lady who son had been there 9 yrs and had been shanked 13 times. And she had never got to go see him. I am praying for him and all the ones in there. I no it a bad place to be. I will give him a stern lecture and tell him to put his request own paper!! Don't go see the counselor.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

Yes, tell him to keep a low profile and try to avoid talking with the counselor as much as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
boflipflops36 (07-28-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Default Atlanta FBOP Help

What can be done about a Guard who take your commissary card away and throws it away? My Grandson had this happen to him yesterday. He has no way to eat, get commissary or put money on his phone. They are pushing him the guards, its the most deplorable place in the FBOP. I no he has to handle this but how can they get away with doing this? They no he is getting short and I want to go down and see the warden. But it will make it worse own him. What does he do for the next month? Starve. Any suggestion for me to tell him by e m?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM

I am in need of more help! Should I go see Mr. Epps? The Guard took his commissary badge away from him yesterday and he can not go to the mess hall to eat, or even have his Zoloft. They want give him his medicine. He told the Lt and he just laughed today, said we will see about getting you another one when we get time!! He is about to blow. I told my daughter have him go to the hole. He only has a month and there doing everything to push him. He only has a little commissary can;t order any with out his card. I just don't no, what he can do. That place is so awful. Maybe call the Congressman from our district? I am helpless you all.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Good Luck, I would call and ask for Mr Epps he really helped me and was kind. If you only have a month left just tell him to remain calm and try to tough it out. As far as his medicine goes he probably needs that and it could affect his state of mind. I don't know what else to tell you except call and ask for his counselor.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Would that help talking to counselor? He has not had his Zoloft in 2 days now. I have told him to just not go off but he has no way to go to eat the prison food or buy from Commissary. He is helpless with out his ID Commissary badge.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 AM

I am bring this up as I hope Colorado lawyer or FPO some one will help guide me to do the right thing about this incident. He ask the Lt about getting him another card he said he just laughed and said We will get one when we have time!!! He did not receive his Zoloft Mon or Tue either because he has no card, Neither has he got to eat.
I am going down there tomorrow.