Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM

I have a friend going in soon and I wanted to send him some books, but he mentioned that he was not allowed to receive books unless it comes directly from the seller (like Amazon). Is this true? I have a few paperback books and publications I wanted to send him to get him started off.

Also, when he is done reading them, then can he send them back to me? Does he just put a few stamps on to cover the cost of sending the books?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 03:16 PM

If your friend is going to the actual prison, which is medium security, it needs to come directly from the publisher. If they will be in the Camp in the same facility, that is minimum security which means that anyone can send softcover books to your friend. A suggestion would be to send a few softcover books to the prison so your friend has reading material ASAP. Prison is a lot of boredom, and many people are put into the hole/SHU at first until they are put in the general population. This means 23 hours a day in a cell for several days. Books can be a lifesaver.

If you are sending the books early, make sure you put his register number and say to "Hold until day X", where X is the day your friend is arriving. That way they won't get shipped back.

Best of luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackR For This Useful Post:
bchung3uj (04-02-2014), Here4Us (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackR View Post
If your friend is going to the actual prison, which is medium security, it needs to come directly from the publisher. If they will be in the Camp in the same facility, that is minimum security which means that anyone can send softcover books to your friend. A suggestion would be to send a few softcover books to the prison so your friend has reading material ASAP. Prison is a lot of boredom, and many people are put into the hole/SHU at first until they are put in the general population. This means 23 hours a day in a cell for several days. Books can be a lifesaver.

If you are sending the books early, make sure you put his register number and say to "Hold until day X", where X is the day your friend is arriving. That way they won't get shipped back.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the info!! I really appreciate it. I think it is the camp so I'll send them in asap like you suggested.

Do you know if he can send them back to me and how he can? Just wondering because I have a copy of a book with notes in it and I wanted to get it back if possible. Otherwise I'll just buy another copy. Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM

While many camps allow outgoing packages, I'd hold off on sending books you want back until he is sure he can return them to you. Ship less than 5 books (definitely try to start with softcover just to be sure) and he'll be in great shape if he ends up in the SHU. If he's really camp bound theres a possibility he may never have to be held there, but it will still mean the world to him to have something from a friend there.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackR For This Useful Post:
bchung3uj (04-07-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Unhappy How is FCI Cumberland Medium, not the Camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celar View Post
Yep, Cumberland is air-conditioned (both the FCI and the camp). I think everything but the gym is air-conditioned.

Yes they have pool tables too. The camp has a pool hall with two tables, and at the FCI I think there are more.

I was at the camp for about a year. Pretty nice place. Good food; officers were friendly; I enjoyed walking & exercising outside. Made a few friends there too, and I still keep in touch with them.

Hi! My brother was just sent to FCI Medium, not the camp. Are they seperate? Do you know what FCI is like? He's been there for a few days now and I still haven't heard from him. Are there lots of fights? Any info on the facility would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM

Unhappy Info on FCI Cumberland Medium, not the camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladtobeout View Post
i was just released from there...it is not that bad...its a minimum security place...the best it gets at the fed level...the food is all processed i spent most of my time eating salads which helped me lose 25lbs...you have plenty of time to work out which also helped me get in shape...it is a working camp so you will be required to get a job there or they will give you one...you work from 7-3 usually...breakfast is at 6am lunch is around 11 and dinner around 4:30...commissary is on monday and tuesday depending if you are in the general or program until...cumberland has a drug treatment program which alot of the inmates there are either already in or waiting to get into the program...i hear they are going to turn the whole place into a program camp soon...visitation is on sat sun from 8-3 and monday and friday from 4:30-8...youll be issued a 3 green uniform sets and five pairs of boxers and undershirts...more can be purchased through commissary...the sleeping arrangements are pretty cramped...there are 2 2 story buildings which are each divided into four wings...on each wing there are 8 cubes...4 cubes on each side about 15ftx15ft i would say...rough estimate...in each cube there are 3 sets of bunk beds...along with 6 lockers...you will probably have a top bunk since people who have been there longer get the choice of where they want to sleep...all you blankets and sheets should be given to you when you get there...make sure you ask the correctional officer for a pillow...i didnt get one until my 4th day there...the showers are dorm style with 4 stand up showers with shower curtains...each wing has their own set of showers...on each wing there is also two toilets with doors that do lock just like any mcdonalds rest room...there are also two urinals and 4 sinks...each unit also has 2 washers and 2 dryers along with 2 microwaves so you can warm up some food that you get from commissary...they also take laundry bags everyday around 11am right after lunch and you can get them back the next day usually except on the weekends...their are inmate counts a few times a day monday through friday roughly at midnight, 3am, 4pm, 9pm saturday and sunday midnight 3am 10am 4pm and 9pm...the 10am and all the 4pm counts are stand up counts so you must be awake and standing when the officers come around to count you...m-f from after dinner around 4:30 to 8pm you have free time to do whatever you want...they have classes you can take including: music, business, educational programs, CDL license, etc. also they have a gym with exercise equipment, all cardio stuff though, there are no weights...they have 2 pullup/dip bars outside and a softball field with a gravel track around it that you can walk on...5 laps=1 mile...the cafeteria is basically set up like highschool you stand in line they serve you an entree and you have a few choices off of the salad and side bar which is set up buffet style...they usually have tea, milk, water, or koolaid to drink...you have to be in your unit at 8pm and you arent allowed outside again until the next day...lights out is usually around 11 depending on the wing...each wing has one TV room that gets cable TV channels...usually its pretty busy in their so if you are new there you probably wont have any choice as to what youll get to watch, most nights sports are on...whatever is in season...NBA...NFL...college football and basketball atleast...other then that its usually on BET music videos...a few times a week they broadcast a movie on the closed circuit tv channel and you most of the time you can find them on atleast a few of the tvs throughout the unit...sleeping can be tough if you are a light sleeper because you can hear everyone snoring talking playing cards or using the bathroom...the cubes as i mentioned dont have walls that close each cube off from another...those walls are about 8 feet tall but from the top bunk you can see overtop of the wall into the next cube so sound travels pretty well...each wing also has a waterfountain and there is an ice machine in each unit...their are also vending machines on the compound that you can use with your inmate ID card which you can put money on at the commissary...there is a barbershop and a library...you are allowed 300minutes on the phone a month and can only talk for 15 minutes at a time...you can only use the phone on weekdays before 7am and after 4:30pm...their are 12 payphones that you can use in each unit...uniforms must be worn at all times between 7-3...unless you are working out during those times...you can go to breakfast and dinner in shorts or sweats and a tshirt or sweatshirt if you purchase them from commissary or if someone in there gives you one of their old ones which is rare...most of the inmates are in there for drugs or white collar crimes...while i was there there were no fights or sexual abuse so if you saw anything on tv that worried dont let it get to you...cumberland along with all federal prison camps are nothing like the prisons you see on TV or movies...just try and be respectful of other inmates and youll have nothing to worry about but dont let them try and intimidate you or scare you...im being pretty random with this whole thing so if anyone needs any clarity just let me know and i can clarify or answer any other questions you might have but i think that gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect there...i self surrendered so if you would like more information on that process just ask...take care and goodluck...time will fly once you get into a routine

Thanks for all the info. My brother is in FCI medium, not the camp. Is it the same as you mentioned above? How long ago were you there? I'm very worried for him. He hasn't called since he got there a few days ago. I tried calling and was told "he may have not taken the proper steps" not sure what that means. But they did tell me I can write. I'd like to visit asap. Do I have to wait for him to send me the visitation form or can I just show up since Im immediate family? Any info you can give me would be helpful. Thanks again
Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM

Unhappy FCI Cumberland Medium, not the camp

Hi,

My brother was recently sent to FCI Cumberland, he's at the actual facility not the camp. Wondering if anyone can give me any info on what this place is like.....he hasn't called since he got there. Its been a few days. I'm so worried for him. Please help! Thank you
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaga227
Hi,

My brother was recently sent to FCI Cumberland, he's at the actual facility not the camp. Wondering if anyone can give me any info on what this place is like.....he hasn't called since he got there. Its been a few days. I'm so worried for him. Please help! Thank you
I haven't been there to visit so I can't tell you much about that but what you can do is write him make sure he has your number and money to call you and send him your email address so you can email him throughout the day through www.corrlinks.com it is cheaper than having to call prepaid long distance
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaga227

Thanks for all the info. My brother is in FCI medium, not the camp. Is it the same as you mentioned above? How long ago were you there? I'm very worried for him. He hasn't called since he got there a few days ago. I tried calling and was told "he may have not taken the proper steps" not sure what that means. But they did tell me I can write. I'd like to visit asap. Do I have to wait for him to send me the visitation form or can I just show up since Im immediate family? Any info you can give me would be helpful. Thanks again
Also you have to get approved to visit you can't just show up. So you can either print the form from the bop website www.bop.gov or your brother can send it to you
Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 AM

I'm self surrendering there in three weeks and was hoping some people may have some current information about the camp there. I wanted to see what my life will be like for the next 24 months.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM

Does anyone know what hotels are close to the Fci ?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Does anybody have a updated detailed run through of how Cumberland is in 2014. I saw the post from 06 I think was the year and I saw a couple for 10 but, I'm sure things have changed a little bit. We think my husband will be going here and he would just like to get any new info about it. From the old post it seems like a decent prison to go to if you have to go. He would love the sports on tv if that's still true. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rysnic8 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-19-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysnic8 View Post
Does anybody have a updated detailed run through of how Cumberland is in 2014. I saw the post from 06 I think was the year and I saw a couple for 10 but, I'm sure things have changed a little bit. We think my husband will be going here and he would just like to get any new info about it. From the old post it seems like a decent prison to go to if you have to go. He would love the sports on tv if that's still true. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is he going to the FCI (the medium) or the camp?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearly For This Useful Post:
Rysnic8 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 11:19 PM

He is going to the medium and I started to give up hope on this lol so thanks for the reply
fbopnomore (10-21-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 PM

Hi there i don't know much about the med facility as my fiance is in the camp there. Sorry I can't help but good luck to the both of you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hvnsangl84 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-21-2014), Rysnic8 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 12:17 AM

Hey nice to have someone else post on here so I appreciate it. Can you tell me how long the visits are if you have visited? I mean I saw the times and days but how long are they do you get the whole say 4 hours or so cause in County you only get 30 mins or 1 hr if coming from far away
Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,322 Times in 11,841 Posts

Unless the visiting room is overcrowded, you can stay for the entire time. If you are coming a long distance, tell the COs so if anyone's visits are cut short, it won't be yours.

Many prisons have different rules for things like visitation points, odd/even weekend visits, etc., others have none, so your loved one can tell you all of those details. Enjoy your visit.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Can always count on you thanks so much fbopnomore. One more thing I know he will find out eventually but I was wondering if you can have an mp3 player and Walkman at the same time? He said the Walkman is necessary to hear TV it was in State anyway. Is that the case?

Last edited by Rysnic8; 10-21-2014 at 08:13 AM..
fbopnomore (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,322 Times in 11,841 Posts

They were just coming in as I was going out, but I have read where most of the MP3 players also have an FM radio, which is where the TV audio is broadcast, so I think an MP3 would do both.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysnic8 View Post
Hey nice to have someone else post on here so I appreciate it. Can you tell me how long the visits are if you have visited? I mean I saw the times and days but how long are they do you get the whole say 4 hours or so cause in County you only get 30 mins or 1 hr if coming from far away
I've only been to the camp. Visit hours are posted on the website -- I believe 830 - 3 on weekends and evenings on Mondays and Fridays. What they don't tell you is that if you arrive between certain times (930ish to 1030ish) on weekends at the camp, they'll be doing the count and you won't be able to get in. Somehow my first few visits I arrived exactly during the count...very frustrating when you rush to get there after a long haul only to be told they are still counting. At times I wondered..."have they assigned the wrong cop the task of counting?? Surely there is no justification for it taking so long to count so few people!" I think you can call the prison and ask them when the count is during visits so you can plan accordingly but if they won't tell you, asked your loved one.

In any event, I'm told there are no visits at the camp this weekend due to addressing the long-ignored scabies epidemic -- you should check with your loved one if the same applies to the FCI if you are planning to go this weekend (or even just call the prison and ask the cops) because regardless of how short or long your trip is, I can imagine how difficult it would be to get turned away at the gates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearly For This Useful Post:
Rysnic8 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 08:54 PM

Well Bearly pretty much said it all. Yes there are counts during the visiting hours. It is usually around 915 930 so if you are not there before those times you will not be able to get it until 1130 which does suck if you are traveling pretty far such as myself. It's about a 6 hour drive for me so I make sure I am there at 830 and I am able to stay the entire time until 3. In the year and a half I have been doing this only one time has the visiting room gotten packed they were asking for volunteers to end their visits so others can. And Bearly is also correct on the visits being cancelled this weekend which sucks because I was planning on going down there on sunday. I would have to imagine that the same goes for fci only because I know there are people who are in the camp who work at the warehouse at the fci so that could possibly cause contamination idk though i would def call and check it out. But my fiance told me today that they gave out the first round of meds today and they are getting a second round next week. Unfortunately they are pretty much on lockdown until they get everything taken care of. Hope this helps and good luck
Old 04-14-2015, 11:24 AM
Patiently waiting

My fiancé just arrived at FCI Cumberland. How are the visits there? FYI, I'm kinda happy that he got sent to this location. I think it is the closes federal prison to me. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive which is not that bad compared to the 4-5 hour drive to the location he was at when he was previously incarcerated. But anyway, please share your feedback on the visitation. Do they use the drug scanner machine here?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Patiently waiting

Just to give a little update....I have visited her for the past 2 weekends (they allow new inmates to the institution a temporary visiting list for 30 days to give visitors time to get their form mailed in and processed.) Thought that was pretty nice of them. Also, they haven't been using the drug scanner machine....I haven't even seen one in sight. Takes a lot of stress off of visitor. ..The drug scanner machine has always been a nightmare for most people. Good to see that they haven't been using it
Old 05-26-2015, 11:38 PM

Default Current information

Can anyone give any current information for what its like inside? L has heard he might be headed here to the Medium, and is wondering what it's like. Whats the heating like? Cooling? Gym? Rec? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Patiently waiting

Anybody with current or prior ties to FCI Cumberland, please send me a private message. I have many questions!