Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:44 PM

My son is being transferred to ASHLAND. Right now he is in Atlanta. He transferred from Fort Dix. Is there anyone who can give me information on what it is like there. He only has a year and a half left. Is it safe?

Last edited by momofdrummer79; 07-13-2015 at 05:32 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Default Ashland Camp

Im looking for any information regarding the camp at Ashland. Please pm me if you could answer a few questions. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:27 PM

I served nearly 8 years at FCI ASHLAND, and left in 2014. I don't see any current posts for this facility, so thought I would contribute some information. It certainly is not the worst facility, but the buildings are quite old. The plus side of that is the place has some charm in that it has more of a campus like setting as compared to newer prisons. The violence is low, the staff is from a rural setting, and it is easy to stay out of trouble if you are reasonably compliant. Information such as visiting hours, commissary, etc. is available from the Ashland website, so I won't waste time detailing that. The food served is decent, and they do a pretty good job on holiday meals. The visiting used to be pretty laid back, but kept getting more restrictive (where you can sit, visitor contact, talking with others in visiting, etc.) which all seemed over the top and unnecessary in my opinion. Only a few of the living units are air conditioned, which was rough during hot summers, but I believe that is slowly changing. The recreation, chapel facilities and education programming are pretty good. Unicor there has closed, which leaves only facilities maintenance, education and a few other areas for obtaining decent jobs, with pay that tops out at 70-100/month at best. The camp is very small with much more limited education, recreation opportunities. Overall, Ashland is a place that is easy to do time and is a relatively safe environment. It requires some patience to work up to a better job, which is probably more true now that the Unicor furniture factory is closed. Other benefits of Ashland are that you can see the outside world, with lots of surrounding trees and can even see neighborhoods from the recreation yard. It also has pretty easy access from Interstate 64. Just like any facility, there are some on staff that are unprofessional (to put it kindly), but overall it is well run with some caring staff members to be found. I hope some of this information is helpful!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 AM

Default FCI ASHLAND Facility Summary Lowdown

Here's the lowdown on the FCI Ashland facility: First, you can use Google Earth to get a pretty good view of the compound. Best living units are:
H Unit (air conditioned and newest)
E and F Units (smallest, about 80, and rooms with doors, two men per room)
G Unit: 2-man rooms with door, but some squad rooms that are crammed with beds
R Unit (converted gym, open dorm, but air conditioned and best TV set up on the compound)

Recreation: They have a weight pile with limited and dwindling weight supply. The yard has basketball, two tennis courts, handball court, softball field, 1/4 mile walking track with outer running trail. There is also a gym with basketball court and treadmils, etc. There is also a yoga room off the yard for that and cardio classes. There are two covered pavilions on the yard with picnic style tables, and also bleachers facing the softball field and. Ranches along the track.

The UNICOR furniture factory recently closed, which eliminated a lot of the better jobs. The best remaining jobs are in facilities maintenance, education, and safety. Clerk jobs are limited and hard to come by, but can be obtained with a lot of time and patience.

The commissary is not great, and the list is available at the FCI Ashland website. The Trulincs email/MP3 stations are plentiful with printing available in Education and a couple of other locations. The law library systems are also plentiful there, usually with no wait. There used to be laundry machines in every unit, which was really nice, but that went central in 2015. Chapel facility is small but prettynice, and movies are available for individual viewing, and movies are also shown big screen there from time to time.

The medical facility is adequate with a pretty good dental office. As with the entire BOP, medical care is rationed sparingly, but serious issues are usually treated, but sometimes with delay. The education building, gym and chow hall are air conditioned, but most living units are not. Education also has a pretty good library with lots of video materials too.

The best part of the aging facility is that it has a campus-like setting with trees, and surrounding forrests roads and neighborhoods, that you can see from the compound. The visiting room is small, vending leaves much to be desired. There is a kids room with toys, etc. off the main visiting room. Visiting rules have been tightened up over time and lots of visitors get turned away for petty and inconsistent reasons relating to clothing. (Strongly advise getting visiting guidelines from their website.). I hope this information is helpful to those heading to FCI Ashland, or with family or friends expecting a stay there.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:17 AM

Default hotels near FCI Ashland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rell123 View Post
will be flying in to Huntington west Virginia to go to Ashland. What are considered good hotels either near the airport in West Virigina or near the prison in Ashland.Should I rent a car at the airport? Any suggestians as to which car rentals have the best rate?
hello, I usually take the DaysInn or Fairfield Inn Marriot. They are both on Route 60. Wishing you a great visit ! BHC girl
Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 AM

Default any others with ION-spectrometry experiences?

After 6 visits without ION-spectrometry, suddenly at my 7th visit they tested me and the results were positive so I could not visit for 48 hours. I travel from Belgium to Kentucky (more than 4000 miles) to visit my friend and had planned to visit 2 days so I came all the way for nothing. I asked how I could have passed all the immigration controls at the airports (3 different airports) and if I have narcotics on my shoes or clothes, why should it be mine ? I could have picked it up at any public restroom or on the airplanes or at baggage control or at the hotels or where ever I had been in between home and prison, during the last 2 days ?!! But getting a 'the rules are the rules' answer to my questions, I was wondering if anybody has any experience on how to avoid being tested positive ? And how do they decide who they will test ? And will they test me again next time because of this result ?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,320 Times in 11,840 Posts

That's awful, especially since the bop stopped using the ION drug scanners for a long time because of all of the false positive results. The bop has posted quite a bit of information on their web page.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...try_device.pdf

and what change.org says.
https://www.change.org/p/address-the...nadian-prisons
Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 PM

Default No Visiting Thursday's - FCI Ashland

I just noticed that visiting on Thursdays at FCI Ashland is suspended until further notice. Visiting policy, procedures, quality of vending has all gone downhill over the years. I departed there a couple of years ago. The visiting was fairly well run at first, and got more restrictive as years past. So glad to not have to worry about it any more, and thought I'd give the Forum a heads up in case this was not noticed!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:21 AM

Thanks for sharing this information. I appreciate very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free At Last 5 View Post
I just noticed that visiting on Thursdays at FCI Ashland is suspended until further notice. Visiting policy, procedures, quality of vending has all gone downhill over the years. I departed there a couple of years ago. The visiting was fairly well run at first, and got more restrictive as years past. So glad to not have to worry about it any more, and thought I'd give the Forum a heads up in case this was not noticed!
Old 02-26-2018, 11:12 PM

Anyone been to ashland recently? I need help with best places to stay, do i need to rent a car ?or is there taxi service and when does the weather clear up i dont wanna deal with snow or anything. This is my 1st time so its a bit overwhelming trying to figure it out
The Following User Says Thank You to Sugar17xoxoxo For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you get answers from someone who has already visited at Ashland.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:08 AM

Haven’t been in a few years, but there are several hotels, a Holiday Inn Express is one of the newer ones. The weather is fairly safe in March and after. Please read up on their website about visiting, as they are very strict on women’s clothing, and underwire bras will not make it through the metal detectors! Also, be sure you’re on the approved visitor list, or you will not get in. Finally, weekdays are much less crowded than weekends, which makes for a much more pleasant experience. Best of luck!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 AM

One more answer for you - not sure if there is decent cab service or not. Rental car might be best option unless Uber or Lyft operate there.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here's the link to the bop's Ashland web page with the visitor's rules.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/ash/
Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar17xoxoxo View Post
Anyone been to ashland recently? I need help with best places to stay, do i need to rent a car ?or is there taxi service and when does the weather clear up i dont wanna deal with snow or anything. This is my 1st time so its a bit overwhelming trying to figure it out
My love one is on his way to Ashland as well. Currently heís in holdover in atlanta awaiting transportation. He was located at Lexington FMC for the past 7 years. Iíve already booked a flight and hotel on Expedia.com for May 18-21 for 453.60 round trip. The hotel is a days inn which is 4.9 miles from the facility. Iím almost certain Iíll be renting a car but Iím going to investigate Uber/lyft availabilityís in the small town. Iíve noticed on Ashlandís city govít website there are quite a few hotels listed that you can look up. Perhaps we can stay in touch learning the new ropes of this facility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lauren1017 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-03-2018), Sugar17xoxoxo (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren1017 View Post
My love one is on his way to Ashland as well. Currently heís in holdover in atlanta awaiting transportation. He was located at Lexington FMC for the past 7 years. Iíve already booked a flight and hotel on Expedia.com for May 18-21 for 453.60 round trip. The hotel is a days inn which is 4.9 miles from the facility. Iím almost certain Iíll be renting a car but Iím going to investigate Uber/lyft availabilityís in the small town. Iíve noticed on Ashlandís city govít website there are quite a few hotels listed that you can look up. Perhaps we can stay in touch learning the new ropes of this facility.
thank you & yes we should
Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 AM

Quick notes on hotels. Hotels in Ashland can be a good deal, but they aren't necessarily the nicest. Huntington, WV has some newer hotels that are quite nice and are often ~110/night. It's a 20 minute drive to the prison from there.

And for those that have to fly in, Tri-County (Huntington) is a good choice if you can connect to there. If not, Charleston, WV is the closest "large" airport, and a much easier drive than from Lexington, KY.
The Following User Says Thank You to New_Yorker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-12-2018)