Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Unhappy

My best friend has been in Ashland for about 2 weeks now. He said things are going OK and that the people are pretty nice, food is pretty good, etc. He has a lot less time to call than he did in Lexington. Only has 300 minutes per month. The visitation is Thursday through Sunday from 8 am to 3:15 pm. They get 10 points per month. Each weekday visit is 1 point and weekends/holidays are 3 points. I will be driving from Lexington to Ashland twice a month if anyone is interested in carpooling to save gas. If anyone hears any other news about this place, please let me know. I hate not being able to talk to him every day to know what's going on with him.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM

One of my penpals is in Ashland. He has been there since 2002. He said the faucility is shabby the food is so-so and they have cheeseburgers on weds. obviously the highlight of his week. They get to do a lot of activities and work a job for $10 bucks a month. He has regular access to the phone and it costs him about $3 dollars a phone call they get 15 mins and then have to wait atleast 30mins to have to the phone again.

I am in Co. so the mail runs a bit slow. Mail goes out on Thursdays for them. They get mail through the week. I never had a problem getting a letter to him. For xmas they gave them xmas goodie bags with candy and xmas stuff in it.

He is an artist and has regular access to colors-arts stuff. I guess overall it isn't too bad, the building could be cleaned up of course but it is prison and you know they don't give a crap about prisoners.

Hope that helps.
Mai.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 PM

Default Fci ashland kentucky

I need information re: Fci ashland....nearest airport? Good or bad facility? Anyone have a loved one there? My baby just got re designated to there and he's not happy about it. He was in atlanta at camp. Only has 1 point!!!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
FCI Ashland till 2011

my guy is there...where will you be traveling from? I'm going to see Jay tomorrow...
Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 AM
FCI Ashland till 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanjoseph View Post
I need information re: Fci ashland....nearest airport? Good or bad facility? Anyone have a loved one there? My baby just got re designated to there and he's not happy about it. He was in atlanta at camp. Only has 1 point!!!!!
Since this is my first (and better be the LAST) time dealing with prison systems, from what I've seen at Ashland it's not too bad. Jay's been in trouble before--but never with the Feds, so this is new to him too--but he's not too terribly upset at the facility.

Ashland is pretty laid back. The guys are all pretty peaceful--lots of doctors and lawyers and other white collar crime guys. None of them want to get into any trouble, so I ahven't heard of any fights or anything like that from Jay.

The visiting room is clean, and generally pretty empty during the week. I don't go on the weekends but looking at the log book when I get there on Monday's looks like there's a HUGE crowd on the weekend. I go on either Mon, Thurs or Friday each week and get to spend the whole day with him. I don't know what other prison rules are for visits, but at Ashland you can get there at 8:00am and stay till 3:15pm unless they are overcrowded--which I have never experienced. No tan/brown/khaki clothes. No white t-shirts. No shorts, etc... Oh...no grey (not even charcoal with some guards!). I go in a pair of jeans or slacks--blue or black, with either black, red, or blue for the shirt. NO UNDERWIRES!! I totally spaced it and wore on once (only once!!). There is a WalMart near that really loves the dress code and I swear should have a 'FCI Ashland approved visitor appearal' section LOL.

You can bring $20 in ones, fives and coins for the vending machines--most of us just use a plain ol' ziplock baggie to carry it in.

As for the guys, well....I tease Jay that he's at Club Ashland. Between the yard, the library, the gym, the 'call out before you come into the shower because there might be someone in there afraid of being seen naked' mentality of the guys, the American Indiana sweat lodge (!! yeah, seriously!!) he's doing pretty well. Oh yeah, there's the 9 pool tables, tennis courts, ping pong......all he's missing is the cocktails with umbrellas!

I make light of it all because I have to to keep sane...but, it could be WAY WAY worse. I think you're baby will be fine.

The bonus is that you could see him more with the 10 visit points per month in the FCI than at the Camp (at least in Ashland). The camp in Ashland only allows visits on Sat-Sun--at 3 points each. The FCI allows any day except Tues and Wed. The weekday visits are 1 point, weekends are 3 (and holidays are 3). To, in theory, you could hang out with him for 60 hours a month if you just go on weekdays only

Fee free to contact me on PM and I'll give you my phone number and we can chat.

How long does you guy have left on his sentence? (FWIW, it seems that a lot of the guys at Ashland are there on the tail end of a long term that began in a Medium facility...seems they like to use Ashland as a step down for short timers who can play nice).

CJ
Old 04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Convict love

The guys are laid back but that's because there are alot of pedophiles at Ashland that don't want anyone to know. Believe me it is in no way "Club Ashland"! My guy would prefer to go back to the Med he came from than stay at Ashland. It's old, has no A/C and the guards are petty. One guy got hauled off to the Hole just for talking during count. They share a cell with 9 other guys and have to worry about their property being stolen. They share a Communal bathroom and there are faggots having sex in the shower, that's why they call out before they go in. Does that sound like "Clud Fed" to you?

The BOP might have his body, but I have his heart!!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina B View Post
The guys are laid back but that's because there are alot of pedophiles at Ashland that don't want anyone to know. Believe me it is in no way "Club Ashland"! My guy would prefer to go back to the Med he came from than stay at Ashland. It's old, has no A/C and the guards are petty. One guy got hauled off to the Hole just for talking during count. They share a cell with 9 other guys and have to worry about their property being stolen. They share a Communal bathroom and there are faggots having sex in the shower, that's why they call out before they go in. Does that sound like "Clud Fed" to you?
hi, i'm kathy
jerry is aware of the pedophiles as he was in ashland before and hated it!!! i never went there but i haven't heard alot of good about it. he was in a camp at atlanta and filed a complaint about a counselor so she sent him to the shu and then dcu and now the latest is ashland this week or next. i've written, called, done anything i can think of to straighten this mess out but nothing has worked. even one of the guards told me "who did he piss off". where do you stay when you go there? how often do you go? thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Convict love

Only been there twice. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express the last time and it is very nice but expensive. The Knights Inn is a total dump so I would not recommend that place. I can only go every 3 or 4 months.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM

My BIL just arrived at the FCI in Ashland, any info on the place would be great as well as the visitation process there. We live 3 hours away, so, we would like to go as often as we can.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Fci ashland

Quote:
Originally Posted by messpark35 View Post
my bil just arrived at the fci in ashland, any info on the place would be great as well as the visitation process there. We live 3 hours away, so, we would like to go as often as we can.
hi, i'm kathy,
i looked on the web site for the prison and it says visitation is w,th,fri,sat,sun,mon from 8-3. All the usual rules for dress etc. I think my guy got there today also. He was from atlanta camp, where is bil from? Hope this helps, kathy:d
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Even a camp will send you to SHU for talking during count. That is one of THE biggest no-nos.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Here is thread about just how seriously count is taken. Unless you have been in prison it may be hard to understand, but an inmate should do nothing to rock the boat during count.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=413302
Old 06-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Default Airport

The nearest airport is in west Virgina but it is only 10 miles from the prison and the prison has a deal with one of the cab companies you can find out which one by going to the BOP website and looking up Ashland than on the right of the page click on the link for visiting and the last page gives you the name of the company.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Donation Award 

My boyfriend just went into FCI Ashland on Tuesday. Any "starter" info for a newbie like me would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know how long it takes before they can send letter, make phone calls, receive visitors, etc?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:43 AM

i will forward this to the federal forum so your questions can better answered

Chainsaw is HOME as of 3:15 am on March 30, 2007.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 AM

Default hi there everyone

My name is Bryan iam 28, i was locked up at Ashland, for 36 months, it was hard, but its worst in alot of other places. The food is terrible, the CO's are jerk offs, but its prison u know, but most guy will always say its horrible just so people will do things for them. I meet alot of good people in there. I have been home now three years. I have a good job and do better than ever. It taught me lesson. SO if anyone would like to chat and know more about ashland u can ask me
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 AM

Default hi there ill help u

Hi there My name is Bryan i was locked up in ashland for 36 months i can answer question,
Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Default Fci ashland

Hello, i'm in baltimore and my husband just went 2 fci ashland about 3 weeks ago can anyone tell me anything about it
Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimsbutterfly View Post
hey tia,
my man is at fci ashalnd. I am here if you need to talk or you can pm me.
hello!!!! I'm kathy from the detroit area and i go to ashland once a month. I'd love to talk with you about possibly ride sharing and hotels. :d
Old 08-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Convict love

Ashland is old and run down but I believe it is pretty safe for the guys. No stabbings or violence that I know of. My guy hated it at first but is getting adjusted and has found ways to stay busy. Tell him to sign up for classes to try to stay busy. They have different types of excercise classes, computer classes and there may be others.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Smile My father

Hi, my name is Amisha, and my father is locked up in Ashland;he got 3 more years....his name is lester<3
Old 09-29-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanb View Post
My name is Bryan iam 28, i was locked up at Ashland, for 36 months, it was hard, but its worst in alot of other places. The food is terrible, the CO's are jerk offs, but its prison u know, but most guy will always say its horrible just so people will do things for them. I meet alot of good people in there. I have been home now three years. I have a good job and do better than ever. It taught me lesson. SO if anyone would like to chat and know more about ashland u can ask me

Hi Bryan:

Thanks for the effort to ease our minds about tis location. My father will be going there oin October and would like to know more about this location. He is very old and i am getting worried how things workaround there. He is a very low maintainance guy but this is abviously extremely new to him and unexepcted...just trying to gather as much info that can ease his transit from normal life to prison life and back. ....Just had a few questions...

-How is the housing....is it dormatory style....aprox how many bed in one room? Do you share a room? Are the room is really bad condition as mentioned in some blogs?
-Are the inmates dangerous?
-Do you think its best to really keep to yourself rather than interact and fall into trouble?
-How is the food?
-are you free to walk around in the institute?
-When you go in there...do they you show you around and explain the facility and all the activities offered?
-What are the classes offered? Can you take any classes you wish?
-Is it mendatory to work?
-Does he have to know anything before he goes there to avoid any delays or confusion while his stay there....

Thanks for helping again!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
~missing ninja HUSBAND!~

Any of that information above would be amazing I'm looking into it for my fiance as well

12-31-08 until forever.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick18 View Post
Are the inmates dangerous?
Generally, no. Although there was a stabbing when I was there from 1998-2000.

Quote:
Do you think its best to really keep to yourself rather than interact and fall into trouble?
Most folks kept to themselves unless they needed someone else's help.

Quote:
How is the food?
I quite liked it... but that was a while ago.

Quote:
are you free to walk around in the institute?
That depends on your privileges. You can go most places, although the autobody shop, for example, is only open to those who are training there.

Quote:
What are the classes offered? Can you take any classes you wish?
Under federal law, if you can't prove you have a high school diploma, you are mandated to take 240 hours of instruction to get your GED. If you have proof, you can take upgrading courses... even university-level courses when I was there. That was a while ago however, so not sure if that's still true.

Quote:
Is it mendatory to work?
Yes - everyone does something. They had an okay library in the education wing and some of the older men worked as librarians.

AJ
Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Hi, my husband just got designated to Ashland, FCI...not sure when he will be actually transferred. Does anyone have any info about the facility? Since it is a low security facility, what are the visitation rules?Also, I live in Alabama and would be willing to carpool from here on Georgia.

Thanks,

Down4Mete