Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Default Anyone have updated info on FCI Englewood

My Brother in law self surrendered to do 5 years at FCI Englewood last week. Does anyone have updated information on this place? Everything I have found on here is almost 2 years old. Any help would be appreciated. My Man has done fed time so I'm familiar with the basics just looking for more information on this particular prison. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,333 Times in 11,846 Posts

Here are a couple of articles about the prison from one year ago when the IL Governor self surrendered there. I couldn't find anything else either.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...fci-englewood/
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...lagojevich.php
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozano619 View Post
My Brother in law self surrendered to do 5 years at FCI Englewood last week. Does anyone have updated information on this place? Everything I have found on here is almost 2 years old. Any help would be appreciated. My Man has done fed time so I'm familiar with the basics just looking for more information on this particular prison. Thanks!
hi is he still in englewood? i was wondering if you are allowed to sit next to each other at the visit? can you hold hands? thank you
Old 11-03-2013, 02:26 AM

Hi, 3rd November 2013, I would love to get in touch with other members who have a loved one at Englewood FCI, the Low NOT the camp, but I would be happy to be in touch with anybody, I have never been to CO, Please PM me so I will not miss your response or message, thank you
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillarreal View Post
Does anyone have any information on Englewood Colorado's Federal Prison? My Fiance will doing his time there. It is the closest one to me, but still an 8 hr drive. I will try and go see him at least once a month or every other month. But it will be better for him than the overcrowded county Jail here in Utah.
is your man still in Englewood?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:03 PM

There's not much on this site about Englewood FCI. I'm curious to know what its like in there. If anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated. My boyfriend got in trouble and was just moved there from the camp in Florence, CO. I'm sure its not as laid back as the camp of course but does anyone know how bad it is? Is there a lot of gang stuff? Are they very strict? I read about how it was once a medium security and for some time they followed medium security policies, is this still the case? I read the visiting policy, I believe it said you can hold hands during a visit; can anyone confirm? Hug and a kiss when you get there and when you leave? Does the food consist of spoiled bologna or is it OK? Do they have to be in their cells a lot or do they have a lot of free time to be outside and such? He was in the SHU at the High USP in Florence for like 2 months before this move and I know he was going crazy. He just wanted to get outside and run around, I'm hoping he gets to do so.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:05 PM

Anyone have updated information on the camp at Englewood?
Old 07-22-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAtATime25 View Post
Anyone have updated information on the camp at Englewood?
I was there about 4 years ago, what would you like to know?
Old 11-05-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Questions on the prison?

Hi,
Inquiring for my son who could end up here by the end of the year. Can you give me some info, like is there AC (or is it always cold there anyway?). How is the food, do they have a gym, decent library, decent jobs, Unicor, are they dorm settings or cells? How is it to visit? Are there hotels close by and is it far from the closest airport?
Anything you can think of will help us!

Thanks,
Debbie
Old 11-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I can help with a couple of your questions.

Here's the link to the bop web page for Englewood with driving directions.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/eng/

The prison is 38 miles from Denver International Airport. An internet search for "hotels near 9881 West Quincy Avenue, Littleton CO" has many options.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:43 PM

I registered on PTO because I have a LO at a California prison, but Englewood is less than a mile from where I live. I can see the tower from my window.

About the area, it's in a very nice part of Denver/Littleton. Quite a distance from the airport, maybe 45 minutes or so. There are quite a few stores and restaurants nearby but I can't think of a single motel that is within a few miles. It is on a main street (Kipling) so public transportation is possible to a motel, there are several farther up Kipling in Lakewood or Wheat Ridge. Avoid motels on Colfax, Federal, Sheridan and Alameda. These are not good areas.

It does get very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, but I would say that about 75% of the time the weather is comfortable. The altitude affects the way the temperature feels so the numbers on the thermometer don't mean the same as elsewhere. If the sun is out you can go outside without a sweater when it's 35 degrees.

The altitude takes some time to get used to. It's harder in the winter. I have lived here for 4 years and the air still feels harsh when it's cold. You get out of breath quickly and even occasional nose bleeds. Less oxygen in the air. You get used to it but it takes awhile.

I don't know anything about the prison itself, but one thing that I have noticed from driving by it almost daily is that you don't see inmates outside very often.

In addition to Rod Blagoavich, Jared Fogle the Subway sandwich guy is there.

There have been several escapes from there in recent years. It's always on the local news, advising nearby residents to lock their doors and windows. This place is literally on a busy main street with a miniature golf course and youth sports complex right next to it.

Hope this helps some of you with LO's here.
The Following User Says Thank You to rnsgaig For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Many "escapes" from federal prisons are made from minimum security camps, most of which have an "out of bounds" line painted on the ground as their total security, not razor wire or "lethal fences" found in the higher security bop prisons. Newspapers, TV, etc. act like Charles Manson is on the loose when it was probably an inmate who has a job in the town next to the prison who walked away. Most of them are caught at their homes within a day or two.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 PM

I haven't seen very many answers to half the questions,so could someone please let me know what the conditions are like in FCI Englewood? I am trying to find out before sentencing so my husband will not make a mistake by requesting it,as it is closer than most with the exception of Florrance.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison talk and to the federal forums. I hope you receive first hand information about Englewood and Florence Prisons.

Englewood is a FCI Low security prison with an adjacent minimum security camp. Florence doesn't have a low security prison, ADMAX (nobody wants to be there), a high security US Penitentiary, a medium security FCI and a minimum security camp. He will be designated to a prison that matches his custody level, so only one of the two options is possible anyway. Knowing his custody level is possible beforehand, but your/his computation may not match the bop's, which is the only one that matters.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5100_008.pdf

The bop only "considers" a sentencing judge's selection of a prison anyway, as a recommendation, not an order (the rest of the sentence is definitely an order though).
Old 06-23-2017, 10:57 AM

Help! Can anyone give me insight as to the visitation process at Englewood low (not camp). Loved one was transferred from Texarkana, where you had to arrive 1-2 hours early and then line up in your car on the side of the road outside prison entrance. Then at 8 am they allowed you to park and line up outside the visitor processing building. Is this similar at Englewood?

I need to know because I wasn't able to rent a car and I'll be arriving on foot. Is there a waiting room? How early do I need to arrive? I tried calling the prison but they are not answering
The Following User Says Thank You to tabyzd For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-23-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanz1313 View Post
I was there about 4 years ago, what would you like to know?
anything u can share would be great! how is it, how are cells, is it safe, food ok? Husband is going there so anything to ease my mind would be great!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wish66 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbw4 View Post
I posted this in the Federal Prison Forum and have not any answers yet so I thought that I would post here and see if I get any responses.

My husband at a Federal Prison Camp-Englewood it is in Littleton. I just wondered if anyone else had a loved one there. I had questions about visiting and about sending stuff if you can. Thanks to anyone that can answer my questions.
My husband is going there, is yours still there? How is it there? Any info you could share would be wonderful!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:33 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

Interviews with former Governor Blagojevich about his experience there.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...ife-in-Prison/

Noisy and too hot to sleep.

Quote:
Blagojevich asked to serve his time at FCI Englewood for several reasons. For starters, it’s one of the few federal prisons to house both low-security and minimum-security facilities. This is important because it makes it quicker and easier for inmates to transfer from one to the other once they are eligible. Second, while there are several low-security prisons much closer to Chicago, FCI Englewood’s proximity to Denver’s airport actually makes it easier for Blagojevich’s family to visit. Third, as Patti Blagojevich points out, Forbes once ranked FCI Englewood among the “12 Best Places to Go to Prison”; it is one of the least violent and least crowded federal sites.
Quote:
More than a week later, I receive a lengthy follow-up email from Blagojevich. He wants to elaborate. “The reason I feel this question needs a fuller answer,” he explains, “is that the separation from your family and the loneliness that ensues is central to the challenge of enduring prison, of ‘doing time.’ As anyone could probably appreciate, in prison, while you are almost always surrounded by other people and are rarely if ever alone—you are alone. All alone, except for the loneliness that never leaves you alone. It is always with you; a constant companion.”
Old 08-20-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Phone Issues - FCI Englewood

My loved one is currently at the camp in Englewood. He's been there for months and we speak on the phone almost daily. We didn't talk Friday-Sunday since I was visiting and we like to conserve the phone minutes. He sent me a message that he's been trying to reach me all day and keeps getting a 'the subscriber you're trying to reach is unable to accept calls at this time' I've been getting calls and texts from people all day today without issue, I contacted my phone company and my phone service is fine, no blocks or restrictions. Anyone have this issue before?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,503 Times in 14,370 Posts

I moved your post to the federal forums, (Englewood) and hopefully someone can give you a good answer.

That's my dog's nose art