Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:26 AM

Default First time visitation

I finally have a visit approved after over a year!! Seeing my son very soon. The visitation rules are super overwhelming, no underwires, no spandex-like material etc. Anyone have info or tips to make sure I donít miss this visit? How strict are they? Do they search your vehicle? Iím a pretty straight-laced mother visiting her only son but I feel like I might miss the basics and not be allowed to visit...any advice is welcome please!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelleemaree For This Useful Post:
BearsLadyBear (01-25-2019), KiwiPP (01-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2019, 01:32 AM

Following for advice as I’m going on my first visit to Lewis soon and I’m equally as nervous ��
Old 01-24-2019, 12:50 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,557 Posts

It's been a while since I've visited, but... They do quarterly checks of vehicles... They will look in your vehicle and trunk... They are pretty strict on dress... You can't wear orange or brown... Can't wear metal and can't wear anything below your collar bone. I wore capris, tee shirt, sports bra and keds. You can take in one key or key fob and I can't remember how much money in change.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:10 PM
here

Always go thinking your vehicle could be searched.It won't happen most of the time, but yo'll be prepared for when it does. As long as you don't have any weapon, contraband, or obvious tools for aiding escape you're fine in the car.

No orange on anything, even if it's just a little. They get stupid strict about that.No khaki or brown (looks like guard uniforms), I personally avoid that forest green for the same reason.

One wedding band, one ear piercing, one watch, a necklace, but only if it has a religious symbol on it, and only one of those too. You can have a bracelet, but only if it's medical alert.

No collarbone showing. Like at all. If it's not bad, they may give you a pass, but that's so hit and miss it's better to avoid it. Nothing ripped or torn, or excessive metal (like on some jeans). Bring a change of clothes, just in case (you can leave it in the car).

$40 in quarters only, per person visiting. In a clear plastic bag. Ziplock will work, but can also break. A lot of us have picked up the clear makeup bags, and thats fine.

One car key, and a fob, and you ID. You can't bring in anything else. (besides the quarters)

Most people in line are helpful too, so if you get there and aren't sure the outfit will pass, ask.

And patience. The lines can take time. We usually stop at a place just before the prison to it the restroom.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Get there early as a line usually forms and find a friendly fellow visitor face and ask them your questions. That’s what I did and have had it done to me and it was SO comforting. Rule strictness varies by prison and guard so finding someone visiting, too, can be a great help.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyLouWho View Post
It's been a while since I've visited, but... They do quarterly checks of vehicles... They will look in your vehicle and trunk... They are pretty strict on dress... You can't wear orange or brown... Can't wear metal and can't wear anything below your collar bone. I wore capris, tee shirt, sports bra and keds. You can take in one key or key fob and I can't remember how much money in change.
40 dollars in quarters per visitor in change for vending
Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 PM

You can’t leave a change of clothes in your car at all places - for example some yards at Tucson once you come up they don’t let you go back to your car and if you do you can’t visit so if you are not wearing the right stuff you don’t get in - so it all depends on the place
Old 01-28-2019, 01:03 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,320 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleemaree View Post
I finally have a visit approved after over a year!! Seeing my son very soon. The visitation rules are super overwhelming, no underwires, no spandex-like material etc. Anyone have info or tips to make sure I donít miss this visit? How strict are they? Do they search your vehicle? Iím a pretty straight-laced mother visiting her only son but I feel like I might miss the basics and not be allowed to visit...any advice is welcome please!!!
No camo clothes allowed. No sleeveless tops. To me all the visitation rooms are cold, even in winter. I wear layers, a long sleeved t-shirt in winter, short sleeved in summer, a long sleeved button shirt over it, a sweater, and depending on the time of year and which part of the state, my coat and gloves.

You can also take in one unopened pack of cigarettes.

Make sure it's not a food visit day if you are going in February. Only Phase 3 have food visits in February. Whenever you visit, make sure to check the schedule in February, May, June, and November as they are the months with food visits and specific days are for specific groups only by phase and DOC NO., Name, or dorm - how they divide them up varies in the different prisons.

Which prison? That really affects the specific advice. For instance,
1. Tucson you can't go back and change your clothes. Kingman, you can change your clothes.
2. Tucson Whetstone has a metal detector pole and the regular metal detector you walk through.
3. Tucson Whetstone there is no gate inspection, you just park and walk to the entry gate. Kingman you have to pop your trunk and they glance inside it and your car, but in 5 years they never opened anything up when I visited on around a total of 60 days. Redrock they do a very thorough inspection of your vehicle, including dogs.
4. Kingman just instituted a new policy of no hoodies. They are a private prison and it is their policy not an ADOC rule.
5. Kingman and Tucson, vehicles start lining up outside the gate early. Tucson, there is no line (because there is no gate to get through). During the food visit at Tucson, there was a line of people, but it wasn't very long. Food visit lines at Kingman were often very long and cars were lined up outside the gate before 7 am.
6. Kingman was very picky about shoes. They inspected them and the shoes had to pass the metal detector test. Tucson Whetstone, you can take them off and they check them but you don't have to pass through the metal detector with them.Some shoes have metal in the heels/soles which the consumer is unaware of. Kingman did not want those getting in as they were potential weapons.
7. Some of the prisons, you can take decks of cards or a board game and "donate" it while you are there. They inspect it and then let you take it in with you so you can play a game with all the pieces there. (Kingman I always took pinochle cards or other card games that they didn't have.) Tucson you can't "donate" any games.