Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in laws that affect various prisons and institutions

Old 04-28-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Have any states successfully overturned strict sentencing laws?

I'm wondering if there has been any success in reversing the Structured Sentencing Act anywhere. My LO is in the North Carolina prison system, which is extremely strict on sentencing. Inmates convicted after October 1994 are required to do 100% of their sentenced time and there is no parole offered. I'm trying to research other states and their recidivism rates, along with their rehabilitation and correctional programs. I think if federal prisons have the 85% rule, it makes no sense for any states to require more. Like I said, I've been doing some research and trying to gather relevant information, but am having a hard time deciding what kind of information would be most effective. Does anyone have any experience in petitioning this kind of thing or know of any states that have successfully overturned strict sentencing laws?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2018, 11:53 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,268 Times in 15,270 Posts

I'm not sure I'd call it successfully overturned, but many states are considering enacting legislation in various degrees of criminal justice / sentencing reforms.

Kentucky has passed two Bills in the last several years that addressed several key issues concerning (early) parole / release, good time, sentencing etc.

Keep in mind that Federal and State are 2 different issues.

There are organizations that fight daily for
criminal justice / sentencing reforms:

ACLU

Vera Institute of Justice

Southern Poverty Law Center

The Sentencing Project

FAMM

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-28-2018)