Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > Tennessee General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tennessee General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Tennessee that do not fit into any other Tennessee sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Default Have you gotten married in a Tennesee Prison?

If so, Please post the details and your experience in this thread. The Prison Weddings Team is working hard to provide marriage information for all states. We need your help to make this project a success!

Mrs. Dragon
Prison Weddings Moderator

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...165#post254165
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2005, 12:23 AM

om trying to get married at west tn state pen. anyone know???
Old 08-12-2005, 07:16 PM

Thumbs down

I don't think there will be anymore weddings there after this :
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/12/co...ing/index.html
Old 08-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Donation Award 

Default Married in TPW

I was married in TPW Nashville June 2003. We applied to get married in September 2002. Biggest delay was finding a minister to do it. The then prison chaplain would not marry us. It took several months to find a minister who would both; 1. do the counseling required, 2. perform the ceremony. Counseling consisted of meeting with minister, prison chaplain and fiancee once. next a meeting with all family members interested in coming, this was her parents and her two kids. Finally, a meeting with the four of us, bride, groom, minister, prison chaplain. The final recommendation is done by the prison chaplain. The minister was Mark Forrester of St. Augustine's Chapel, Vanderbilt, Nashville. Outstanding fellow. I true Christain. Counseling invovled those basic questions, why, why why? Wedding was with two weeks notice, a Thursday afternoon. No rings, four guests allowed. She took off work one hour. Done.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:35 AM

My stepfather was married in prison. He is on DR.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
cpdstacey

I was married at Hardeman County Correctional Facility in Whiteville,Tn. Chaplain Peterson was very friendly and all I had to do was drive to Bolivar, Tn. to get our marriage license had the choice of doing the counseling but chose not to since we had already known each other for 14 years at the time. We had to state in writing seperately to the chaplain that we were wanting to get married with a 60 day notice and after that we had to give 2 weeks notice of the day we wanted to get married. Wait on the Warded to approve it and I drove to Bolivar on June 27 2003 to get our license and along with the form that they have to have filled out stating that they are locked up and go the license and that afternoon we were married. Each individual prison in the State of tn have their own rules that you have to go by as far as timing of what has to be done. And the only thing I had to pay was for the chaplain and the license. And you have to get the visitors that want to attend approved by the warden and it can't be anymore than 4 and they have to be immediate family. Its just a time consuming thing really.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:46 PM

Daniel and I have talked about getting married at WTSP but i think since he has only a year left i can wait ( a wedding night sure sounds good) From what we have learned its like we have to ask if we can and i don't think it should be like that. They told us the warden had to ok it.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Still Wifey

I got married at NWCX in Tiptonville on January 24, 2006. It was a very simple process. We both submitted a written request around October of 2005, the warden approved it with a mandatory 60 day waiting period. We met with Chaplain Ron Powell on January 12th for a run down of my Boo's charges and sentencing (like I didn't already know). Then 12 days later we were married and got a 1 hour special visit afterwards. Not a conjugal but a special visit just the same. I got my marriage license in Lake County where the prison is located because I figured they dealt with this situation more often than the clerk's office my resident county. The Chaplain made the arrangements for an outside minister of our Baptist denominaton to come in a do the ceremony which meant a lot to me. All in all it was very smooth. After reading some the trials that others have went through, I'm even more appreciative of how the Chaplain went the extra mile for us.

Last edited by Neca Blacc; 10-07-2006 at 07:15 PM..
Old 02-27-2007, 06:25 AM
I MISS MY JOEY

Got Married @ Carter Co Jail & I Loved It Cuz I Was Marring Joey But It Sucked Cuz The Gard's There Only Let Us Hug & Kiss 2times & Say A Word Or 2 Then They Was Like Ok Bowers Lets Go ........i Prob Got To Spend A Big 10 Min's With Him.but It Was Worth Every Bit Of It
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Is it mandatory for inmates to have to request permission from the warden? I know someone who can do the marriage for my hubby's friend at visitation. But we are not sure if the warden has to approve a marriage regardless if the chaplain or someone outside is doing it.
<iframe src="http://free.timeanddate.com/countdown/i5vu076c/n171/cf104/cm0/cu4/ct0/cs0/ca0/cr0/ss0/cac000/cpc000/pc6d0000/tceac8d5/fs100/szw320/szh135/tatCountdown%20to%20Freedom!/tac000/tptTime%20since%20Event%20started%20in/tpc000/mac000/mpc000/iso2025-05-01T00:00:00" allowTransparency="true" frameborder="0" width="320" height="135"></iframe>
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Yes it is mandatory. Here is the link to the information / policy & procedure on it.
http://www.tn.gov/correction/pdf/503-07.pdf
Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM
JESUS LOVES ME

Waiting, just waiting. All steps taken, all approvals given, had counseling with Chaplain Bud, neither he and Chaplain Moore marry inmates. Chaplain Bud said he wouldn't try to talk us out of this because we are old !!!! He's a nice guy !!!! During counseling I was read convictions and length of sentence, Chaplain said "this is pretty much the way it will be", meaning 60 to life !!! Waiting on my fiance to return to MCCX from Special Needs. Then hopefully, we'll get a date, from Chaplain Yancy. We both had to write letters to warden and chaplain. Had counseling during Memorial day visit, 60 day waiting period, he mailed me power of attorney to get the marriage license ($100) and now waiting my fiances recovery from a heart attack....but we were originally engaged in 1972, so whats a few more weeks !!!

"Building more prisons to address crime is like building more grave yards to address a fatal disease".

-Robert Gangis
Executive Director Correctional Association
of New York

Last edited by pamelalynn; 08-21-2009 at 02:57 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

Dang 100$ ??? We got married in 2006 and I believe it was only like TEN dolllars. I will have to ask hubby later, I sure don't remember having 100$ at the time --- to spend on anything other than bills..... I could be just getting the oldtimers.........
Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 PM
JESUS LOVES ME

Yup, in Morgan County $100, however if you go by the county clerks office and pick up a form and have 4 HOURS of premarital counseling and the chaplain signs the form, the county knocks off $70. We are not able to complete the 4 HOURS, due to, well I'm sure you can figure that out, so it will be $100. I guess this is the deterrant to make people really think about this. Jokes on them, I'd pay whatever it takes !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherWife2 View Post
Dang 100$ ??? We got married in 2006 and I believe it was only like TEN dolllars. I will have to ask hubby later, I sure don't remember having 100$ at the time --- to spend on anything other than bills..... I could be just getting the oldtimers.........

"Building more prisons to address crime is like building more grave yards to address a fatal disease".

-Robert Gangis
of New York

Last edited by pamelalynn; 08-21-2009 at 02:29 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelalynn View Post
Waiting, just waiting. All steps taken, all approvals given, had counseling with Chaplain Bud, neither he and Chaplain Moore marry inmates. Waiting on my fiance to return to MCCX from Special Needs. Then hopefully, we'll get a date, from Chaplain Yancy. We both had to write letters to warden and chaplain. Had counseling during Memorial day visit, 60 day waiting period, he mailed me power of attorney to get the marriage license ($100) and now waiting my fiances recovery from a heart attack....but we were originally engaged in 1972, so whats a few more weeks !!!
why did you need power of attorney? i went with all our details filled out the forms and got the license myself i think i paid $48 or $38 not sure now, has it changed that much? it was a very frustrating day thanks to the prison chaplin, my hubby knew i was having trouble, he was on tender hooks, wondering if id get one in time, when i got back to visit and he found out i had managed to get it, he kissed me so hard i thought he was gonna bust all my teeth out lol, we got married the next day we spent saturdays in our own little cell, we ate pizza and choc muffins and played games all day long then married at 4pm best day of my life, it couldnt of been more special. as irritating as he is id do it again every day if i could lol
Old 08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
JESUS LOVES ME

This was an unbelievably sad event ... These people are crazy and definately gave us all involved with a loved one in prison a bad name and made life even more difficult for all of us. This CO, Wayne Morgan kept my fiance safe, his first few years in prison at Brushy Mt. He was devastated when this happened, as he respected him greatly. It was determined that this tragic incident occurred due to the contact by the inmate with his wife on a contraband cell phone. This video tells the story of Wayne "Cotton" Morgan, may he rest Peace ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi1 View Post
I don't think there will be anymore weddings there after this :
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/12/co...ing/index.html

-Robert Gangis
of New York
Old 08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
JESUS LOVES ME

Power of attorney that stated he was incarcerated and to sign his name on marriage license application. I've talked to the clerks office three times, making sure I've got every thing right !!!! Don't want to have ANYTHING go wrong that day ....

-Robert Gangis
of New York

Last edited by pamelalynn; 08-21-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 04:43 PM

I was married at NWCX last Friday. The procedure is simple. We both had to submit letters to the chaplin about what our intentions were and then those letters had to be given to the warden for approval. Once the warden approves the marriage it can be up to a 90 day waiting period just for the counseling session. When you go the counseling session they tell you you spouses charges and you pick a date. The chaplin does not marry you at NWCX. You need to find someone to come in and marry you. You can get the marriage license in Lake county the day of your marriage and it costs $100 and then the minister costs $50 to marry you.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 AM

Default fiancee at NWCX

I am tryin to get married just waiting to se when i can get up there to get counseling done....what kinda ring and you get a visit after or whats up??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca Blacc View Post
I got married at NWCX in Tiptonville on January 24, 2006. It was a very simple process. We both submitted a written request around October of 2005, the warden approved it with a mandatory 60 day waiting period. We met with Chaplain Ron Powell on January 12th for a run down of my Boo's charges and sentencing (like I didn't already know). Then 12 days later we were married and got a 1 hour special visit afterwards. Not a conjugal but a special visit just the same. I got my marriage license in Lake County where the prison is located because I figured they dealt with this situation more often than the clerk's office my resident county. The Chaplain made the arrangements for an outside minister of our Baptist denominaton to come in a do the ceremony which meant a lot to me. All in all it was very smooth. After reading some the trials that others have went through, I'm even more appreciative of how the Chaplain went the extra mile for us.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:02 AM

i just asked my fiance and he said he did marry you the chaplin that is chaplin Glenn???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelergirl View Post
I was married at NWCX last Friday. The procedure is simple. We both had to submit letters to the chaplin about what our intentions were and then those letters had to be given to the warden for approval. Once the warden approves the marriage it can be up to a 90 day waiting period just for the counseling session. When you go the counseling session they tell you you spouses charges and you pick a date. The chaplin does not marry you at NWCX. You need to find someone to come in and marry you. You can get the marriage license in Lake county the day of your marriage and it costs $100 and then the minister costs $50 to marry you.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayofsunshine View Post
i just asked my fiance and he said he did marry you the chaplin that is chaplin Glenn???
This link will be very helpful to you. Best wishes and Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!

This TDOC Policy & Procedure will be of help to you:

http://www.tn.gov/correction/pdf/503-07.pdf
Old 01-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Good luck with the marriage. I think the TDOC policy outlines it pretty clearly. I am glad we were already married before he went to prison. We did it fast at the courthouse, so when he gets released we are having a REAL wedding. Yesterday at Visit he had me practice putting the ring on his finger and saying the vows. He is really silly, but I'm happy he is so gung-ho about MARRIAGE and having me as his wife!

Keep us posted !
<iframe src="http://free.timeanddate.com/countdown/i5vu076c/n171/cf104/cm0/cu4/ct0/cs0/ca0/cr0/ss0/cac000/cpc000/pc6d0000/tceac8d5/fs100/szw320/szh135/tatCountdown%20to%20Freedom!/tac000/tptTime%20since%20Event%20started%20in/tpc000/mac000/mpc000/iso2025-05-01T00:00:00" allowTransparency="true" frameborder="0" width="320" height="135"></iframe>
Old 01-16-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelalynn View Post
Waiting, just waiting. All steps taken, all approvals given, had counseling with Chaplain Bud, neither he and Chaplain Moore marry inmates. Chaplain Bud said he wouldn't try to talk us out of this because we are old !!!! He's a nice guy !!!! During counseling I was read convictions and length of sentence, Chaplain said "this is pretty much the way it will be", meaning 60 to life !!! Waiting on my fiance to return to MCCX from Special Needs. Then hopefully, we'll get a date, from Chaplain Yancy. We both had to write letters to warden and chaplain. Had counseling during Memorial day visit, 60 day waiting period, he mailed me power of attorney to get the marriage license ($100) and now waiting my fiances recovery from a heart attack....but we were originally engaged in 1972, so whats a few more weeks !!!
We started the process for marriage at MCCX , do you remember what IDs you took to the clerk for him?