Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 AM

Default finding an old case

Is it possible to find documentation of an old case--federal-maybe from 30 years ago? It may have been expunged (sp?).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

Federal court archives. Probably not available on Pacer if that old.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Would the archives be on line?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveray View Post
Would the archives be on line?

What's the case? I may be able to help you get it.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:31 PM

It was on G.M. Joiner, Jr. of Glenwood, Georgia for vote buying. I don't know how long ago it was--30 years maybe. I sure would appreciate any information/documentation you could get me !!!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
It was on G.M. Joiner, Jr. of Glenwood, Georgia for vote buying. I don't know how long ago it was--30 years maybe. I sure would appreciate any information/documentation you could get me !!!!!
A 1981 report on public integrity from the US Department of Justice (http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us) list a G.M. Joiner pleading guilty to vote buying in Wheeler County, Georgia. I find no Federal Case or any reported Georgia state case. If he plead in county court, it may not be reported, and you may have to contact the court clerk's office in Wheeler County to obain the information about the charges and the conviction. Not sure if I helped, but good luck.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 AM

Thanks-any information is appreciated. This is my father who is the mayor of Wheeler County to this day. He had my boyfriend who is not my husband arrested on a 2 year old warrant for probation violation when he found out we were seeing each other. He is now 60% into his 2 year revocation sentence. In addition, I think my father had a hand in him being added to the sex offender registry 3 years AFTER the original case was over. And now even after the hell this has caused me he is still as judgmental as ever. So- I wonder why if someone convicted of a sex offense has restricition they have to live with for the rest of their life, why someone convicted of a federal offense directly related to the field is allowed to hold a public position??? That's why I hoped to get documentaion w/o going through the county.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks-any information is appreciated. This is my father who is the mayor of Wheeler County to this day. He had my boyfriend who is not my husband arrested on a 2 year old warrant for probation violation when he found out we were seeing each other. He is now 60% into his 2 year revocation sentence. In addition, I think my father had a hand in him being added to the sex offender registry 3 years AFTER the original case was over. And now even after the hell this has caused me he is still as judgmental as ever. So- I wonder why if someone convicted of a sex offense has restricition they have to live with for the rest of their life, why someone convicted of a federal offense directly related to the field is allowed to hold a public position??? That's why I hoped to get documentaion w/o going through the county.
Wow, you are in a tough spot. If you still feel like you need the documents, maybe you could ask someone else to get it from the county, or to search the records. I really hope things work out for you.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:14 AM

Yes, I do really want the paperwork so I can send it to all the local newspaper and have proof of it. I heard the conviction took place at the Augusta, Georgia Federal Courthouse. I tried to find a number for it yesterday and was not successful.