Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Questions immigration airport

I have a question regarding questions immigration officers can ask you upon arrival at an airport.
In january i was staying with my friend, who happens to be my sister in law now, because i was visiting her brother, who is now my boyfriend after all this time (we split up for a little while now we're back together). I didn't really think about mentioning the visits (as our relationship was a bit unclear until we had our visit) because i was also there to visit her and they asked me a few questions about how we met. I answered them honestly that i met her because i know her brother and that was that.

But now the situation changed i'm nervous somehow. Because in february i'm going back to stay with my sister in law and her little family so i can visit my man again.
Do i just be honest and tell them i will stay with my sister in law because i am visiting my boyfriend in prison? Will i risk being send back because of that? Do they care about something like that?

I want to be well prepared so i was curious if any of you can tell me something about it or tell me what they asked you when you told the cbp officer that you are visiting someone in prison.

Sorry for the chaotic thread, hope it's still understandable
The Following User Says Thank You to xSheroon For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,846 Times in 13,141 Posts

All you have to do is answer their questions honestly. My answer would be "I'm staying with my sister in law".

I hope you get answers from folks who have recently passed through a US border entry while visiting here.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Sealed for Freshness

Answer honestly, but fbopnomore's advice is sound. You are visiting your sister-in-law and will be staying with her. End of story. Any more than that, you are wasting your time as well as the CBPO's time. They are simply trying to determine if you are conducting business in the country, and if you are a threat to national security. It sounds to me like you're not.

-J.
marco1969 (10-08-2019), xSheroon (10-11-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,421 Times in 4,742 Posts

I am a frequent traveller to the USA every 3 months. I just answer honestly whatever they ask. I donít volunteer extra information unless itís asked for. They are more interested in whether you have a return ticket , and whether you intend to try and stay illegally. They also sometimes ask how much money I am carrying to make sure I can support myself. On the whole itís a straight forward process.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
marco1969 (10-08-2019), sidewalker (10-10-2019), xSheroon (10-11-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
I am a frequent traveller to the USA every 3 months. I just answer honestly whatever they ask. I donít volunteer extra information unless itís asked for. They are more interested in whether you have a return ticket , and whether you intend to try and stay illegally. They also sometimes ask how much money I am carrying to make sure I can support myself. On the whole itís a straight forward process.
Ok thatís good to know thank you for the information. So you never had a bad experience at the airport upon arrival?
Old 10-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Sealed for Freshness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSheroon View Post
Ok thatís good to know thank you for the information. So you never had a bad experience at the airport upon arrival?
Never a bad experience here in the USA. Which airport are you flying into if you don't mind me asking? I have entered the country from a number of airports over the years and can give you more specific info if that will help. For a while I was traveling internationally sometimes multiple times a week.
xSheroon (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:30 PM

I havenít had a bad experience. I have been asked questions but I have nothing to hide so I answer them.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
xSheroon (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
I havenít had a bad experience. I have been asked questions but I have nothing to hide so I answer them.
Exactly, that was the same for me earlier this year.. iím stressing too easily and it didnít help that i read stories of people that were denied entry so thatís what made me ask that
I can relax now
Old 10-31-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeshabang View Post
Never a bad experience here in the USA. Which airport are you flying into if you don't mind me asking? I have entered the country from a number of airports over the years and can give you more specific info if that will help. For a while I was traveling internationally sometimes multiple times a week.
San Francisco. Didnít have a problem earlier this year, but if youíre someone thatís stressed easily i was worried. Donít want to be denied entry when all i want is see my man and visit his family for a few days. Becauseiíll start a study in september next year i donít know if i get to see him around that time of the year as well, thatís why i want everything to go well
Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 PM

I don't know why you think you would be denied , as long as you have a return ticket to your home country, you have a place to stay and money to support yourself during your stay you should be fine.
Be honest and you should have no problems.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:18 PM

I can understand why you are nervous. I am too because I won't have a return ticket as I plan to fly into JFK, visit him in NJ and then go to North Carolina to his mom for a bit so I really don't know when I'm returning. I can stay for 6 months with my Canadian passport and I also plan to go to Canada for a few months. I'm just going to be honest that I'm taking a trip of a lifetime cause it really is what I'm doing!