Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:13 AM

Default New member, fiancé in Joyceville

Hi all,

I'm new here but am grateful to have found a community who will understand what I am going through. The stigma and judgment that comes with having a loved on incarcerated...wow, I had no idea.

My fiancé was recently sentenced on something that occurred before he and I met. I have zero experience with Canada's legal system, or prisons, or any of it.

I've been searching for information online about the facility's procedures on things - there's a lot on this forum, thankfully. I've also called the facility (Joyceville) a couple times for clarification, and they've been helpful.

I have so many questions still, I don't even know where to begin, let alone what to ask. I've sent him a box of clothing (based on instructions given by the facility on what is and is not allowed). I've sent a money order ($200) separate from any letters or other mail, and understand it takes up to 10 business days to process. I've written a few letters but have no idea if or when he will get them. I finally received one from him, but it is dated 2 weeks ago - is mail normally this slow at facilities?

I've also sent in a visiting application and all of my information - how long does this process take?

I understand I need to have my phone number verified so he can call me. He has provided them with both my cell number and my FedPhoneLine number (online land number), but I have yet to receive any verification phone calls. How long does this part take?

And if I understand correctly, he cannot call me until the money order I sent is processed so he can activate a calling card, right?

I get the impression all of this depends on how he does in the "assessment" phase, which is what he's in now. I have not spoken to him in 2 weeks because of this. He has no priors and is not a violent offender - will this have an impact on how fast he is "processed" through assessment and communication can commence?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2019, 08:05 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,852 Times in 16,513 Posts

Hi SOF1977 I don't anything about the Canadian system, but we have members that can answer your questions. However, I do want to welcome you to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
SOF1977 (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:50 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,318 Times in 4,698 Posts

Welcome to pto I hope our Canadian members can help you.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
SOF1977 (04-29-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 PM

The phone number approval is usually quite fast. (Since you've called Joyceville already and had positive results you might want to phone and inquire.) However they won't approve a cell phone number.

Is the Fedphoneline good for collect calls? He won't be able to call until he has money on a calling card and they can only put money on it one day a month.

The visiting application approval is very slow at the Assessment Unit. I would say if you haven't had any response after 4 weeks call and inquire as to whether they have your application -- as opposed to asking when you'll get approved
The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:
SOF1977 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:05 PM
OnparoleinTO

Default Info on Joyceville

Hi - if you still have questions feel free to send me a DM and I will try to answer; I went through this in 2015-16. Some things have changed since then but a lot is still the same.

If his sentence is less than 4 years he should be out of assessment within 3 months; if more than 4 years could be 4 months. If he's first time, non-violent he will likely end up in a minimum, which is a lot better than most of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOF1977 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here but am grateful to have found a community who will understand what I am going through. The stigma and judgment that comes with having a loved on incarcerated...wow, I had no idea.

My fiancé was recently sentenced on something that occurred before he and I met. I have zero experience with Canada's legal system, or prisons, or any of it.

I've been searching for information online about the facility's procedures on things - there's a lot on this forum, thankfully. I've also called the facility (Joyceville) a couple times for clarification, and they've been helpful.

I have so many questions still, I don't even know where to begin, let alone what to ask. I've sent him a box of clothing (based on instructions given by the facility on what is and is not allowed). I've sent a money order ($200) separate from any letters or other mail, and understand it takes up to 10 business days to process. I've written a few letters but have no idea if or when he will get them. I finally received one from him, but it is dated 2 weeks ago - is mail normally this slow at facilities?

I've also sent in a visiting application and all of my information - how long does this process take?

I understand I need to have my phone number verified so he can call me. He has provided them with both my cell number and my FedPhoneLine number (online land number), but I have yet to receive any verification phone calls. How long does this part take?

And if I understand correctly, he cannot call me until the money order I sent is processed so he can activate a calling card, right?

I get the impression all of this depends on how he does in the "assessment" phase, which is what he's in now. I have not spoken to him in 2 weeks because of this. He has no priors and is not a violent offender - will this have an impact on how fast he is "processed" through assessment and communication can commence?
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
SOF1977 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOF1977 View Post
Hi all,

I haven't visited the site in a little while. I am fairly new as well. But in my case, I am the offender. I make my plea in June. Your post was late April, have things changed? Have your heard from finance? Have you learned anything new? I am preparing the best way I can. How long a sentence did he get? Be strong, best wishes, welcome to the forum.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Hi all - my phone numbers were finally approved last week. It took over a month. They called both my Fedphoneline and cell number to approve them. The woman who called me was very nice.

I'm still waiting on my visitation application. I called to ask if they have received my application (thanks DuckDuckGoose for the tip on how to approach this), but was told to call back between 1pm-4pm M-F and ask to speak with correspondence. I did, but it just rang and rang, so I am still trying to get an update.

As for mail, we are able to send letters to each other but timing is inconsistent. Some of my letters are getting to him in about two weeks, others are taking only days. His letters coming out all seem to take about two weeks or so.

He received the money order I sent and has been able to call. He was able to add money to his calling card even though it was not the first of the month.

He has not received the clothing I sent for him, and I don't believe he will until he is at his mother location.

I ordered a TV package through Walmart but it hasn't gotten to him yet and won't for some time. Walmart is shipping it in parts, as opposed to one big package and I believe this causes a big delay. If you order through Walmart, leave instructions for them to send everything in one box. I didn't know this.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:39 AM
OnparoleinTO

In my case, my TV arrived and sat for 4 weeks at the jail before they got around to going through it and letting me have it. That's very typical. In general the institutions are very lethargic and it's an exception to find a staff person who acts as if doing anything for a prisoner was actually something they should pay attention to. It's a combination of lethargy and a feeling that prisoners don't deserve anything so why go out of your way for them.