Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Pets & Animal Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animal Discussions Man of us have furry (or other) loved ones at home with us. Please use this forum to talk about anything and everything relating to them, hobbies relating to them, etc.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:12 AM

Question Do you have a favorite and least favorite dog breed?

I would have to say that my #1 favorite dog breed (besides mixed-breed mutts, duh!) is the Golden Retriever. Those dogs are just so freakin' loving and obedient, with their sweet facial expressions and soft fur, that I just can't help myself not to love them.

Rounding out my top 6 are German Shepherds, French Bulldogs, Boston Terriers and St. Bernards.

One of my least faves is a Husky. I can appreciate them (preferably from a distance) and they are really handsome dogs but I'm not thrilled with all the howling, they are escape artists so you can't trust them outside by themselves and if someone was trying to break into your house all they would do is greet the intruder with a lick on the face and try to play wrestle with them on the floor. In my mind when I think of a Husky I equate them to being like teenage boys, always loud and horsing around, lol.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Owned

Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,815 Posts

My favorite breed is a rescue dog. I'v fosters dozens of dogs and have learned to let the perfect ones get adopted. I keep the ones nobody else wants and this has included a few Pits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016), esteli (01-14-2016), mooshy (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,106 Times in 617 Posts

Favorite is my standard poodle least is anything tiny and yappie.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
My favorite breed is a rescue dog.
Mine too! There are nothing but rescues and 1 "foster" (in quotes b/c he's never going anywhere, lol) walking around here. But beyond that, I still have my list of fantasy dream dogs.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,642 Times in 673 Posts

I happen to have a Golden Retriever and he is just like having a kid around the house. He understands plain English to a point. I can say, "Go in the bedroom and lay down," and he will do exactly that. He's about 6 years old.

However, my favorite breed is the tri-color Bassett Hound. My last one got stolen out of my backyard a few months ago. They bark and howl a lot and are stubborn as hell, but they are so utterly cute I don't care about them being so selfish and disobedient.

My least favorite breed is the Pit Bull. To me, and this is purely personal opinion, they are butt ugly.

As for a rescue dog, that's the way to go if you find one you want. I would not adopt one I didn't really want just for the sake of rescue. Dogs deserve more than pretentious affection and care.
The Following User Says Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 AM

I'm sorry for the loss of your Basset Hound. Dogs and cats are family members to me so I would have been devastated if that had happened here. Prayers that he/she is doing ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Checker View Post
I happen to have a Golden Retriever and he is just like having a kid around the house. He understands plain English to a point. I can say, "Go in the bedroom and lay down," and he will do exactly that. He's about 6 years old.

However, my favorite breed is the tri-color Bassett Hound. My last one got stolen out of my backyard a few months ago. They bark and howl a lot and are stubborn as hell, but they are so utterly cute I don't care about them being so selfish and disobedient.

My least favorite breed is the Pit Bull. To me, and this is purely personal opinion, they are butt ugly.

As for a rescue dog, that's the way to go if you find one you want. I would not adopt one I didn't really want just for the sake of rescue. Dogs deserve more than pretentious affection and care.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aphra For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-14-2016), mooshy (01-14-2016), Real Checker (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Owned

"I would not adopt one I didn't really want just for the sake of rescue. Dogs deserve more than pretentious affection and care."

I never said I didn't really want them and my affection and care for them is not "pretentious". Every unadoptable foster I've kept is loved and treated as good as I treat my Flat Coat Retriever. If I didn't keep them who would?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016), esteli (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,584 Times in 6,728 Posts

I think Weimaraner are beautiful, but I'm leery of purebred anything. I'll stick to my mixed breeds.

As far as least favorite, I'm afraid to say I've got more than one and for different reasons: German Sheps, they're handsome as hell but they make me want to pee myself with nerves. American Staffs with the big blocky bodies, just not attractive to me.

I have a ten-year old Rott/Husky mix. She is the most loving and manipulative dog I've ever had.

"Recharging"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016), Fridyrr.Likn (12-04-2017), mooshy (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:19 PM

I adopted a pure bred sky terrier, and right this minute she is my favorite dog. If I ever got another dog I think I would get a Bichone Freise or a mix of one. My least favorite is probably a Chihuahua, just too yippy for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to istrueblue For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Owned

Wanted to add one of the dogs I ended up "fostering" for 9 years was a tricolored Bassett. He'd been raised on a chain, gnawed the chain until he had no front teeth and never, ever learned the art of only peeing outside - this is why everybody that tried to adopt him returned him.

He died in sleep about a year ago - the Vet guessed he was about 15. RIP Harry.
Aphra (01-14-2016), esteli (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
"I would not adopt one I didn't really want just for the sake of rescue. Dogs deserve more than pretentious affection and care."

I never said I didn't really want them and my affection and care for them is not "pretentious". Every unadoptable foster I've kept is loved and treated as good as I treat my Flat Coat Retriever. If I didn't keep them who would?
My comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Sorry it sounded that way to you. I was saying what I (me) would or would not do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Marty's Wife

Thanked 9,535 Times in 3,740 Posts

I love all dogs. There isn't a favorite breed. They are wonderful creatures. I've owned German Shepards, Chihuahuas, Poodles, Pitbulls, and Doberman Pinschers.
The Following User Says Thank You to esteli For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 PM

I loved seeing the pix, miamic, thanks for sharing! It would be great if anyone else would share, too!

I find some dogs to be interesting in general but don't want to have one, like the bloodhound and border collie. I like rottweilers and pit bulls, but they are too much for me to physically handle, same with the German shepherd. I love them, but can't handle them or provide what they need. Chihuahas are really cute but of the ones I have known, they tend to attach to one person and then want to rip the face off of anyone else who comes near, lol. A dog that I've loved and had a couple of but wouldn't have again if I could help it is the daschund.

These are my daughters' 3 rescue dogs (she has a 4th! that I don't have a pic of), the senior wiener was given to my other daughter as a puppy, the one with the St. Bernard-ish face is one I was particularly close to, I miss him so much, RIP Maxy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B & G.jpg (56.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg C.jpg (92.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 12272717.jpg (81.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg Maxy.jpeg (37.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Aphra; 01-14-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Old 01-14-2016, 04:59 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

My favorite are larger protective breeds like the German Shepherd Dog, Rottweiler or Doberman Pincer.

Least favorite: anything small and yappy.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:38 PM
weary
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,020 Posts

I have a cat, but I have to post this UK ad again because he wants to be more dog.

Our boy is the b&w fluff in my avatar.

I love dogs too, and don't really have a favourite breed. I'd be more inclined to fall for the personality. My neighbour has a staffie which is a looked-down-upon breed here and I think she is lovely (and a bit bonkers).

I've met one pit bull as they are a banned breed here - and she was gorgeously soppy, full of kisses, and happiest laying on her back having a tummy rub. That's my kind of dog. Affectionate, well behaved, fun.

Dogs I dislike are always the long haired ones with skanky chops, butts and eyes - and that is to do with the grooming, not the breed.

As we all know, owners make or break a dog. I'm just a sucker for a clean and friendly pooch.
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:39 PM
weary
Donation Award 

OMG, that's the first time I managed to get youtube to appear like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Owned

Every Pit I have owned or fostered has been affectionate, smart and easy to train. I took my first one in under duress, but she was such a good dog it changed my mind about the breed forever.

I had to have one put down a few weeks ago due to breast cancer and it nearly killed me. RIP Lexie
Aphra (01-14-2016), mooshy (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:00 PM
weary
Donation Award 

Yeah, it's such a shame we have banned breeds here - we ban them for being the victims of poor ownership.

We sponsor 2 dogs with the Dogs Trust because they never put down healthy dogs. Both of our sponsoreds are not allowed visitors because of their behaviour - and in both cases it's been a result of early treatment.
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Owned

Yes, one of the dogs I took in as a foster and ended up keeping because of biting was brutally abused. They grabbed him by the collar and slammed him against things so trying to get a leash attached to his collar becomes dangerous, but I've gotten skilled with a noose sort of thing. He is a Rottie/Chow mix and hates everybody but me and at times I even question that.

I sure wish animal abuse laws were not only stricter, I wish they were enforced.
Aphra (01-14-2016), mooshy (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:20 PM
weary
Donation Award 

agreed.
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,584 Times in 6,728 Posts

Totally agree on the sadness we put on breeds when it's primarily the type of owner who creates the situation.

I also love that so many folks adopt from shelters/rescues. Including Miss Thing pictured below, I've had one other rescue dog. She was a Chihuahua just like Aphra described-- loved me, hated everyone else.

My problem isn't finding a dog I like when I do an adoption, but finding one I don't want to take home.

It's pretty much like this, but without the whiskey.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016), mooshy (01-14-2016), sidewalker (01-19-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:27 PM

Have a Rat Terrier. A Weimaraner and a Weimaraner mix. But, my favorite is the Doberman. Had a red Doberman growing up. I don't pick dogs when I add one to the family. They pick me. Least favorite, slobbery dogs. The strings of slimy saliva gross me out. Ew. Just. EW!!

Last edited by 4orSmilez; 01-14-2016 at 06:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to 4orSmilez For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,010 Times in 10,825 Posts

I've always had rescues, official or not. They wander in, or they stop by with people who are taking them to rescues, or their owners are having trouble with them and figure a couple of weeks at a farm will help, or a thousand other things.

Until my current crop, I'd not had small dogs. Living as I do, a small dog with no hair means buying a dog wardrobe of massive proportions! And yet.....a MinPin wandered into the farm, and I ended up keeping him. I've never had a dog more cheerful, welcoming and amusing. He makes me chuckle, smile, giggle....at least once a day. My Border Collie is now 16 1/2 years old - so far beyond his expiration date that I no longer expect him to die at all. He's a very serious, very dedicated dog, and never wants to be further away than about 50 feet. It has its drawbacks, but he's a wonderful dog.

Most of the time I've taken in mutts, but one in particular was a trial to his owners - "He just won't listen!" I took him and found out within a week that he was stone deaf. Had to put a tracking collar on him, as he could not be called back once his nose had found a deer or coyote. Then I'd have to go get him on a horse....
Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4orSmilez View Post
Have a Rat Terrier. A Weimaraner and a Weimaraner mix. But, my favorite is the Doberman. Had a red Doberman growing up. I don't pick dogs when I add one to the family. They pick me. Least favorite, slobbery dogs. The strings of slimy saliva gross me out. Ew. Just. EW!!
I strongly suggest you never get a Mastiff.

I'm used to dog fluids and a Mastiff drools a bit too much for even me, but I love big dogs.

I just took in an injured 50# dog and I think of her as "little".
4orSmilez (01-14-2016), Aphra (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 PM
Donation Award 

Just for grins, here's my basset that got stolen. In this picture she was still a pup. She was about 3 years old when she got taken.

Here's a pic of my golden. He's currently my only dog. He misses the basset, so I am thinking of getting him a companion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
4orSmilez (01-14-2016), Aphra (01-14-2016), miamac (01-14-2016), mooshy (01-15-2016), sidewalker (01-19-2016)