Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 04-02-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Reception Diagnostic Center (RDC): How long does it take to get there?

My son has been sentenced to six years and is waiting now in the second county jail going on 6 weeks to go to rdc. How long does it usually take to get to rdc?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 08:33 AM

welcome gocolts,
My son was in county for 3 weeks before he was tranfered to RDC. He is in his second week there. he said they are on 23 hour lock down and the food is bad. i hope he get transfered to Doc soon

Derek's mom
Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 AM

That depends on the county and the shipping date from that county and how many are being transfered. So it varies from county to county I hope he is transfered soon. God Bless

My Groom is Home
Old 04-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks for your help. He was in Allen County and now he is in Blackford County. So rdc is pretty bad ?? They didn't have enough food in Allen County jail.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Wizard of Oz Member
Donation Award 

RDC is a facility that evaluates the inmates to determine the level of an inmate and which facility is the best to place that person in. Now that I have given you the official version of RDC, the informal (and mind you just my own opinion) is each person is placed where there is an opening for someone in their level. And for some unknown reason, it seems like their placement is always a long way from their hometown! My husband was in county for over a month before being moved to RDC, and we requested the earliest transfer possible when he went to court. There were people in county with him that were there for a good 5-6 months waiting to go to RDC! Good luck to you. I used to live in Blackford County. The new jail there is out in the boondocks!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 AM

I have gotten two letter from my son. he said he thought the food in the county jail was bad till RDC. he did say they have beef jerky that he can buy form comm, but no soups. he has had 2 different cell mates so far. he is getting along good with them. that eases my mind a bit.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:04 PM

Boy it varies from one county to the other. My son was in Jay and said the food was horrible, when he got to RDC he kept writing home about the first salad he had in in 5 months and the cake they got etc. They got to watch movies at RDC once he had been there a week or so.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 PM

My son was in county for almost a year. He was glad to go to rdc and then on to prison. Good luck to you hugs and I wish you luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 PM

every letter i get from him says the food is bad and there isn't very much. Maybe he was just spoiled in Newton County. I will ask him in the next letter. He is ready to move on to DOC and so am i. I hate not seeing him or talking to him. I'm praying he moves soon.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Mommies in LOVE for life.

Hello, I was hoping to hear the food was good in there. I was wondering if anyone could tell me, what I can I send in the mail to an inmate at RDC? I hear I can send him 30 envelopes, stampsand up to 3 pads of legal paper. Is that correct? I have also heard that I can send stampped envelops, I find that hard to beleive.

Last edited by Leahs; 05-23-2007 at 11:04 PM..
Old 05-24-2007, 01:24 AM

You can send 20 stamps and up to 50 envelopes but I sent him 20 of each and almost 100 peices of white lined paper I did that 2 times in one week so I could make sure he had plenty, He received both packages. The food isn't verygood from what he had said but they do get to watch movies and the staff is pretty friendly. I do not know about the stamped envelopes as I just sent him the items seperately.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:53 AM

Thanked 1,065 Times in 514 Posts

I think RDC & Plainfield have the same mailroom. I sent a stamped envelope and it didn't go through. They also told me I couldn't send paper and envelopes because the guys are given envelopes and can buy paper from the commissary. I did send a few loose sheets before they told me that with a letter and it went through. Probably the best thing is to call the mail room and ask them. And about the food, I don't think any of them have what you would call GOOD FOOD. Thats why commissary can be so important for them.

Last edited by tigrldy; 05-24-2007 at 05:00 AM..
Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 AM

My son is now at Westville. he told me that he was spoiled in County. He now says that RDC wasn't bad. I think it was just scary for him. This was his first and hopfully his last time through. It was scary for me also. No calls from him and only two letters. They told me that i couldn't send him stamps. I could send letters and up to 5 pictures. The pictures had to be on picture paper. his money got to his books in a week so that helped.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 AM

How long was their stay at RDC
Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
ladyswan

My boyfriend was at RDC for 2 1/2 weeks. I got several letters from him, but they sent my stamps, envelopes, and paper back. I think I might have sent them too late though. They would hold the mail for a while before he would get it.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Mommies in LOVE for life.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I did get a letter from him, he said I can send him up to 3 legal pads of paper. I sent one pad of legal paper, along with 5 stamps, and 5 envelops. Again, thank you so much. He also sad at least the food was warm in there.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:17 AM

I'm glad you heard from him. I know i sleep better when i get a letter or a call. i know he is ok.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Richelle37

Hello...my son was sentenced in Kosciusko co in october and became a trustree and worked in the kitchen then made kitchen captain, he bought alot from comm. but also said the food really wasnt bad at all just avoid the "lunch bologna" he sayz with a giggle. he was trying to get a doc to county time modification and was denied. the judge was good friends with the guy who made the accusations n put him in jail so yea another denial in january but he was sent to rdc yesterday morning ...so he did 3 1/2months county time before bein transferred to rdc..depends on the state when they call and who they call for...
Old 02-06-2021, 11:39 AM

Unhappy RDC

My son was in Jay County jail and had 60 days left to serve of his sentence. Yesterday he was transferred to RDC. From what I have found out about RDC it seems to me that he has no reason to be sent there. Any ideas?
Old 02-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,995 Times in 3,893 Posts

Welcome denz91. If I had to guess, my guess would be "bureaucracy". It's possible that with all the problems all the states have been having with Covid, he was late in getting to RDC, but his sentence required it, so they moved him at the last minute to make sure the paperwork was all in order.

I know it sounds dumb, but if they don't get the paperwork correct, your son could end up having to serve another sentence, so think of this as "insurance" that all the boxes have been checked, the i's dotted and the t's crossed.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-07-2021)