Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Now That Your Loved One Is Home...
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Now That Your Loved One Is Home... Please share stories about your loved one now they are home.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:50 PM

Default He has started some counseling

Hes been out about 14 months still has issues being in public crowds of people. He says he just gets anxious and starts swearing and has to leave Costco for example. We have dealt with it well by planning ahead of time if he needs to leave he should just say so and exit immedialty. We usually meet up in the parking lot after I finish doing the shopping or whatever we were doing. Restaurant s and small stores are fine. Anyway just sharing our journey in case it can help others. Otherwise things are going extremely well for us and we just adopted a rescue dog.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (11-11-2018), maytayah (11-11-2018), miamac (11-11-2018), Sarianna (11-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2018, 12:04 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,333 Times in 11,846 Posts

All of that should improve over time, at least it did for me, but he will need to work on it too. There were a couple of incidents when I over reacted massively to being "disrespected" which surprised me as much as it did the other people. It was an instantaneous reaction that embarrassed me afterwards, but it did happen. I'm now confident that it won't happen again, but it was a process to finally remove prison from my life altogether.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:28 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,596 Posts

Thanks for sharing and good for him for taking care of the issue by going to counselling

Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 AM

Good for him for getting help when he needs it!! He needs someone, other than you, telling him it's ok and to express his fears to. I know with my husband he doesn't like to "burden" me with his fears and the things he thinks and he feels bad when he feels like he is so therapy helps.

When the FBI first came to our house in November of 2016 and left without arresting him, the fact nothing was done then was no consultation to him. He was convinced when he we walked out our door that everyone knew just by looking at him. Going to the store was a huge challenge. He got help and got through it. I'm sure he still has issues from time to time and doesn't want to share that with me but at that time he couldn't hide it as he was beginning to have panic attacks. He is on house arrest right now and that took some time adjusting to and going out in public. He goes to group meetings and he made sure at his first, despite being summer, that he wore long pants. He determined pretty quickly that it didn't much matter and has just embraced it. I'm pretty sure he is about to name his bracelet and it will be his new best friend . I'm sure after incarceration he will likely fall back into that pattern, at least for a period of time, but that is probably normal. The important part is how you address it and move forward!!
Old 11-11-2018, 03:23 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,417 Times in 7,502 Posts

Good on him in getting help. Hopefully his therapist will give him some grounding techniques and help him work his way through this. Anxiety sucks, and it’s almost worse to watch somebody you love trying to deal with a panic attack. Hopefully you’ll get included in some of this so that you can help him
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,502 Times in 14,370 Posts

To be honest, sometimes I do the same thing in Costco or other crowded places.
And Ive never been to prison.
I just react to crowds sometimes.
This is especially bad if I want to be someplace else, and Im in a place I dont really want to be in......(cause I wanna be someplace else)

Glad he's getting some assistance with how he feels.

fyi, I did the same thing.......go outside and let hubby finish whatever the task was.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (Yesterday)