Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM

I am going to try to help you all on this one. The MAXIMUM amount of GAIN TIME credit THAT WILL APPLY in ONE calendar year of prison is 54 days. That is TOTAL gain time that will be applied to the release date.

Now, before everyone freaks out... If an inmate had to do a year and a day in prison, (the minimum required to be sent to prison in FL) provided he did not screw up and get DRs, the total amount of gain time applied to his release date would be 54 days. The inmate may EARN MORE than 54 days of gain time while incarcerated, but ONLY 54 will apply to that year and a day sentence.

(For the sake of math, we will say a month has 30 days.)
So, if an inmate has a 2 year sentence (24 months), total gain time that will APPLY to the release date is 54 x 2 = 108. That would be 3 months 18 days off the sentence.

So, if an inmate has a 3 year sentence (36 months), total gain time that will APPLY to the release date is 54 x 3 = 162. That would be 5 months 12 days off the sentence.

And so on....

The reason this formula works is because an inmate who does not get in trouble will ALWAYS earn more gain time each year than applies to the sentence. The extra gain time we used to call "banked".

Jail credit is something else that also messes a lot of people up. Since everyones' circumstances are different there really is no formula for this. I will give you an example of what screws people up:

Let's say I have FIVE felonies. I sit in county jail for 90 days. Someone, finally bonds me out. While out on bond, I get rearrested for ANOTHER felony and go back to jail. After 30 days I go to court and get sentenced to 3 years in prison on ALL SIX felonies. Guess what, ONLY 30 days of jail credit is going to apply to my release date. Why? Because if I am sentenced on ALL SIX felonies, I'll "get" the 90 days of jail credit on the FIRST FIVE felonies, but that last charge I received while out on bond ONLY has 30 days of credit. Therefore, that last charge will keep me in prison.

This screws people up all the time. Hope this helped.

Last edited by spin721; 11-05-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Ok, help me out here. My husband was told at Reception his 85% date was 8/2/2010. He was sentenced July 24th to 18 months. He was given time served for 3 months 2 days. His original TRD was 10/23/10. So far he's only been awarded 8 days of gain time (four one month, two the other two months) based upon not having a job and only getting two satisfactory security ratings. The first two was the month he got a CC, but the other one they didn't give us any reason other than he was in Admin. Conf. which makes little sense since he didn't get in trouble to go there or in there. We are waiting to see what he'll get this month since he's had a job and has not been in any trouble.

When I do your 54 day thing after removing the credit for time served I get 400.25 days to serve total. Which would put him out (if I figure this right) sometime in September of next year.

Though, to be honest, I'm just going by the TRD date each month and not getting my hopes up on anything. But I sure would like to understand the dang process. And I also wonder if they ended up doing the 90 day of gain time in June if my husband would get it though he doesn't 85% out until August according to Classification.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Default please helpme figure gain time in Florida!!!!

My boyfriend got sentenced to 66 months in 2008 (May 2008 to be exact) he already had 464 days county time served. that should be 1980 days - 464 days= 1516 days left So they do 85% ofthat CORRECT??? That would be 1516- .85% or 15%= 228 days off 1516. that would be 1288 days. NOW my question is does he still get an additional 10days a month up to 228 days more???????? that would bringhim down to 1060 days (approximately 3 years from May 2008) 5/2011 i know all this is if the inmate does not forfit or looses gain time.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS COME UP WITH???? THANKS A BUNCH.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,536 Times in 3,575 Posts

I'm horrible at calculating the gain time, but the jail credit will count towards the 85%. He can't go any lower than 85%. Once you reach that, you're done with gain time unless you lose it and you have time to earn it back.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Quick question

whats the gain time awarded for a release date of 6/20/2014 if he has not received any yet? I'm trying to figure out how much time gets knocked off.

Honey! you so sweet, sugar gone a long way to catch you!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413480

Try this thread it may help. It is very confusing. This will talk about the 85% thing.

As for gaintime, well it depends on how much they get each month. There are two ratings. One is security and the other is for job assignment. Four days a month is above satisfactory, two days is satisfactory. Unsatisfactory they get none. So they can get up to 8 days a month. However it is then up to classification (from my understanding) to award another 2-4 days a month. Mostly they award 2. So the possibility is for 10 days a month.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
Ok, help me out here. My husband was told at Reception his 85% date was 8/2/2010. He was sentenced July 24th to 18 months. He was given time served for 3 months 2 days. His original TRD was 10/23/10. So far he's only been awarded 8 days of gain time (four one month, two the other two months) based upon not having a job and only getting two satisfactory security ratings. The first two was the month he got a CC, but the other one they didn't give us any reason other than he was in Admin. Conf. which makes little sense since he didn't get in trouble to go there or in there. We are waiting to see what he'll get this month since he's had a job and has not been in any trouble.

When I do your 54 day thing after removing the credit for time served I get 400.25 days to serve total. Which would put him out (if I figure this right) sometime in September of next year.

Though, to be honest, I'm just going by the TRD date each month and not getting my hopes up on anything. But I sure would like to understand the dang process. And I also wonder if they ended up doing the 90 day of gain time in June if my husband would get it though he doesn't 85% out until August according to Classification.
I did some rough calculations for you. Given the information you supplied...his MAX out date would be Jan. 2011. Less 92 days of jail credit would bring it back to late Oct. 2010. I would think by May or June of 2010, he will have earned the MAXIMUM amount of gain time allowed in one calendar year of jail. (54 days) Now, once he reaches his "anniversary" date in the DOC...the day he went to reception (not his sentencing date) he can get more then 54 days because he is in a new calendar year of prison. Early August 2010 seems to be correct because he has extra months to make up for the "lack" of gain time he is receiving now.

The law is written that an inmate HAS to do 85%.
IF THEY DO give 90 days of gain time in June, it will not affect your husband because he has YET TO REACH his 85% mark. He may "receive" the 90 days, but since his sentence is relatively "short" he will receive no benefit from it. It will just be "banked." I left prison with all types of gain time that never mattered...but, that is the system. Hope this helped.

Last edited by spin721; 11-20-2009 at 08:54 AM..
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsShepard4ever View Post
whats the gain time awarded for a release date of 6/20/2014 if he has not received any yet? I'm trying to figure out how much time gets knocked off.
I need more information. Jail time credit, sentence length....date sent to reception center. Things like that.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 PM

my friend is in NWFRC and has a sentence of l9 years. with gain time when will he
be released if it all works out in his favor while in prison?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Default help me calculate please?

My brother got sentenced to 5 years. He was in WPB County jail for three years - His sentencing date was 9/18/09.
He is now in River O Unit.
With gain time and serving 85% do you know when he will be eligible for release? It's so confusing to me.
Thanks,
Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's girl View Post
I know calculation gain time can get quite confusing and we have seen quite a few threads on this subject. If you need help with calculating a release date or knowing how gain time works, please contain it to this thread so when other members come along with the same question it can be easily found.

Thanks
ben's girl

PS And thanks to our members who are willing to help with the calculations! Much appreciated!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Was he given credit for the three years in county?

Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 PM

Default Gaintime question

As I understand they have to stay out of trouble for a month say November then come December 15th the FLDOC posts the new release date with the earned 10 days or what ever gaintime. Well he made it thru November no problems, but come Dec 5th he got a DC. and is in the box till they review incident. Does this mean no gaintime for November?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckiesmom View Post
As I understand they have to stay out of trouble for a month say November then come December 15th the FLDOC posts the new release date with the earned 10 days or what ever gaintime. Well he made it thru November no problems, but come Dec 5th he got a DC. and is in the box till they review incident. Does this mean no gaintime for November?
The DR he rec'd could result in a loss of more than 10 days gain time. It will depend on what the DR was for and corresponding penalty. It could be anywhere from 0 days to all of the gain time he has acquired depending on the offense.

He's home!!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Default Gain time question with Jail credit earned in FLORIDA

Hello, for the love of God - I cannot figure out FL gain time. My loved one has a 5 year sentence- he was in WPB county jail for 3 years and earned 1124 days jail credit... when will he get out???? How do you calculate this.
He has already earned 20 days gain time in the DOC (Raiford O Unit).
But none of us can figure out when he will get out if all goes well.
He was sented 9/18/2009 to 5 years - served 3 in jail......
Please explain.
T sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's girl View Post
I know calculation gain time can get quite confusing and we have seen quite a few threads on this subject. If you need help with calculating a release date or knowing how gain time works, please contain it to this thread so when other members come along with the same question it can be easily found.

Thanks
ben's girl

PS And thanks to our members who are willing to help with the calculations! Much appreciated!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 AM

If he was given credit for the jail time then knock off those three years. That leaves him with 2 years. What is his current tentative release date? Also, Classification can tell you what his projected 85% date is as well. They told us when my hubby was in reception.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thu_ky06 View Post
Let's me try! His sentence is 5 years = 60 months
He have to do 85% = 51 months (reduce 9 months)
Gain time he can earn : 51months x 10 day= 510 days= 17 months
But they only accept : 270 days = 9 months as maximum because gain time no longer is applied to reduce the sentence.
It mean if he can earn all gain time, he only do 42 months, he will come home at July 15, 2012

Sorry I am a little late, finally saw your post. They took away 60 days for a dr and his current release date is 11/7/2013 so will his release date be Sept 3, 2012???? I really dont get how to calculate so confused.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM

How long before he can begin earning his time again. I know a new rule is going into place this month (the 22nd) which will shorten the time they aren't allowed to get any time.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
How long before he can begin earning his time again. I know a new rule is going into place this month (the 22nd) which will shorten the time they aren't allowed to get any time.
Not sure, I assume once he gets out of confinement which is supposed to be Feb 10th.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:58 PM

So can someone please help calculate for me, current release date 11/7/2013, initial receipt date 1/15/2009, jail credit 20 days and its a 5 yr sentence.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

I don't recall anything changing this year, but last year the rules were changed to: 30 days or less in confinement and an inmate is eligible to recieve gaintime 1 month after confinement ends. Over 30 days in confinement, they are eligible after 2 months. They are not eligible immediately upon release from confinement.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...light=gaintime

He's home!!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 AM
missin my babe so much

My man was put in DC for a DR for 60 days and he couldn't get gaintime for 3 months, and he didn't get gaintime until then. Each camp may be different since they all seem to have different rules

Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Thanks love baby. It shouldn't be a facility rule since it should be in the 33s. I couldn't find where I read that when I posted that thread I referenced, but I had to have seen it somewhere. Maybe after some sleep I'll look again or someone else will be able to find it.

He's home!!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:55 PM

My boyfriend was sentenced to 2 yrs 11 months. His Initial Receipt date was 1/08/09 and his current release date is 6/14/11... I noticed he was getting his gain time about 3 months ago.
So my question is with the 85% and gain time, around what date should he be getting out?
Calculating this gain time mess is SO CONFUSING...
THANKS 4 THE HELP!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Question HELP SOMEBODY i'M TRYiNG 2 FIND OUT ABOUT GAIN TIME

MY BOYFRiEND WAS SENTENCED TO 34 MONTHS HE HAS ALREADY DONE 6 MONTHS iN THE COUNTY SO i'M TRYiNG TO FiND OUT ABOUT HOW MUCH GAiN TiME HE'LL GET HE HAS BEEN IN THE COUNTY SiNCE JULY 20,2009 HE iS STiLL iN THERE WAiTiNG TO GO TO A PRiSON .....iF HE DOES ALL HiS TIME HE'LL GET OUT MAY 2012 ......SO CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME i'M SO CONFUSED??????
Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM

He won't get gain time for county time. He should have been given credit for the time spent in county. So if he got 34 months he actuall y has 28 months to do. Once he gets into the actual prison he will begin getting gain time. They get up to 4 days per month for security and then up to 4 days per month for having a job. Then classification has the option of giving them 2-4 more days. Typically if they don't get in trouble and have a job they get 10 a month. While in reception he will probably only get four. Each month between the 10th and 15th their dates will reflect the change on the DOC website.

The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
TOMMY&KiRA12/07 (01-28-2010)