Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Default What do I need to do or who can I contact to get him moved?

My loved one is in Taylor work camp. He is labeled minimum security yet everything I can find out about Taylor work camp it says its medium security. What do I need to do or who can I contact to get him moved? This is where he was placed after being "classified" obviously they did it wrong.

He is a first time offender and has to have medication every day as well as has some physical difficulties. It wasn't until I emailed the warden that they even bothered to give him is medication at all.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Thanked 5,693 Times in 2,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
My loved one is in Taylor work camp. He is labeled minimum security yet everything I can find out about Taylor work camp it says its medium security. What do I need to do or who can I contact to get him moved? This is where he was placed after being "classified" obviously they did it wrong.

He is a first time offender and has to have medication every day as well as has some physical difficulties. It wasn't until I emailed the warden that they even bothered to give him is medication at all.
I wouldn't be interfering in where he is. Medium is way better then a prison that takes higher security levels. They can put them anywhere, my husband was minimum and in Dade CI, one of the worst prisons there is in Florida. He's a grown man and he's the one who has to live with any changes, don't mess with his stuff until he's there for a while he can ask for a transfer I think it's a year. Almost all the prisons go up as far a CM. A work camp is way better then other prisons.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Anjewel (01-22-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (01-22-2018), icj357 (01-29-2018), patchouli (01-22-2018), Sarianna (01-23-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:04 PM

I know they can put him anywhere. And they have. Far enough away from anyone to see him.

He is asking me to help him get moved. He is a non violent, first time offender and has been told all along he will be working in the law library. Of course that has not happened. They are only allowed to go to the library for 45 min after two strip searches and not allowed to bring anything with or back. He's also trying to continue his education.

He has already been injured there. He "fell of his bunk" so they say and possibly broke his arm. They did nothing to check his arm even though his arm/shoulder and knees are well documented as being physical issues of concern and limiting mobility. While at the jail his glasses were broken by someone else fighting and he can't see well at all without them. They are using that as a excuse to reprimand him when they tell him to go somewhere and he can't see where they mean. According to him, he has a pair of "cheaters" that are so scratched he can't see through them they have let him "borrow". Not sure if that means he's able to keep them on a regular basis or just when they see fit to let him borrow them. Besides all that, just after a few days in the "system" all of his belongings, his paperwork for the approved phone list, and any authorization for us to get information on him suddenly "vanished." Finally got the phone list resubmitted and approved yet any other information we get "we're working on it" or "we'll look into it." Their pat answers.

Yes I know that this is not uncommon, however there are other issues the "system" has violated yet I'm not yet able to mention them.

So getting him to a proper facility he's security "rating" is set for and not over where he can get the medical attention he needs is the first step.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,965 Times in 1,414 Posts

Well, I can tell you xolady is correct. The more you mess with his custody the more he's apt to go somewhere really hard. Just keep that in mind as I tell you this:

Email, do not call (so you have a paper trail), the Warden and tell him details of what you have just told here. Give the Warden 3 business days to produce something sufficient. I mean something other than the standard response of 'I'll check into it'. You will get one of those but, please give him 3 business days to actually do something.

Then, if you still don't get response, by all means, take it to the director of the region and give them a chance to handle. Then, go further up the ladder if necessary. Always give the Warden sufficient info to know there is an issue and time to handle same.

The work camp is governed by the main unit. You can find the Warden's email address on that page.

You can find the director's info here.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-22-2018), miamac (01-22-2018), patchouli (01-22-2018), Sarianna (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:48 PM

He needs to put in for a medical pass for a bottom bunk! You need to get a Hippa release so they can even speak to you. I know from years of horrible treatment that sometimes trying to help only makes things much worse. As for glasses call the head of medical and ask them if you can send another pair. I did this for my husband it took about three times sending the same glasses for him to get them. Also no one gets a guarenteed job. Don't count on any of the crap they say, generally first job is kitchen, laundry, cleaning toilets. You need to relax and things will get better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-22-2018), patchouli (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjewel View Post
Well, I can tell you xolady is correct. The more you mess with his custody the more he's apt to go somewhere really hard. Just keep that in mind as I tell you this:

Email, do not call (so you have a paper trail), the Warden and tell him details of what you have just told here. Give the Warden 3 business days to produce something sufficient. I mean something other than the standard response of 'I'll check into it'. You will get one of those but, please give him 3 business days to actually do something.

Then, if you still don't get response, by all means, take it to the director of the region and give them a chance to handle. Then, go further up the ladder if necessary. Always give the Warden sufficient info to know there is an issue and time to handle same.
Yes thank you I fully understand all that. I am trying to get information for him and to see what can be done.
I have written the warden and that is the only reason he is getting the medication he needs. I'm told the health of the inmates is top priority yet it seems only what they can get in trouble for. Such as if an inmates isn't given prescribed medication that without could cause a stroke or death.

I would rather email so there is a paper trail. What I'm finding difficult is no one gives me the same information as to who to speak (write to). I'm defiantly getting the run around and am doing my very best to be respectful to them even though I'm not getting any.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
Yes thank you I fully understand all that. I am trying to get information for him and to see what can be done.
I have written the warden and that is the only reason he is getting the medication he needs. I'm told the health of the inmates is top priority yet it seems only what they can get in trouble for. Such as if an inmates isn't given prescribed medication that without could cause a stroke or death.

I would rather email so there is a paper trail. What I'm finding difficult is no one gives me the same information as to who to speak (write to). I'm defiantly getting the run around and am doing my very best to be respectful to them even though I'm not getting any.
The run around (and around and around and around) is what you will find is standard operating procedure in nearly every prison across the country. You have to be aware that you pushing for the outside could very likely cause huge problems for him on the inside. If he's not putting in for medical every day/waiting in medical line/creating a paper trail they won't even consider the words of someone from the outside no matter how you push. And you raising a stink will get the staff talking about how he doesn't handle his own problems. He needs to be advocating for himself, surely if he was going to be working in the law library he knows how to file a grievance. So put in for medical over and over...then file a grievance for not being seen. Him advocating for himself will get him a lot further than you calling and writing and emailing. I'm sure you can see how it's a slippery slope. I'm not saying that people shouldn't advocate for their incarcerated LO's....but we've all seen it time and time again the lashback that can occur when they do it the wrong way. If you push for a transfer you can almost guarantee somewhere far worse than where he is.
patchouli (01-23-2018), xolady (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,965 Times in 1,414 Posts

I was under the impression he’d already done this...that’s why he’s asked her to get him moved. He has ran out of options.

It is a sticky situation but, it’s been my experience that ‘someone on the outside’ is a very good thing, especially when they need medical help.

Hell no, you can not bust up in there like you own ANYTHING or even like this situation is beneath anyone, but, professional respect has been known to get good results.

I have been visiting FDOC and advocating for my prisoner(s) for 28 years. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Y’all have a good day.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-23-2018), sidewalker (01-23-2018), xolady (01-27-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 AM

Having had my husband die two months after getting compassionate release, I know better then most the ins and outs of how prison medical works. He has to file not her, all she is doing is making a person in the chain of command pissed off. She needs to back up and let her guy grow a pair and stand up for his rights. I only stepped in when my husband was unconscious and unable to do for himself. Everytime I complained he was retaliated against, as in lost in the system crap, no pain meds, put on roofing crew, given DR's when he couldn't report to work, couldn't get ostomy bags, for his colostomy. So a pair of glasses and a hurt arm are minor and he is in one of the best prisons there is in florida. He has to do all this himself if she continues he's going to end up in Santa Rosa, Charlotte, Dade or some other hell hole. I know from personal experience. I'm sure his first time drug offense was most likely pain meds and let me tell you most of these people are just junkies who got hooked by going to pain clinics, they don't want to buy tylenol they want OXY's. I know it's hard to see your loved one suffer but really if he was so concerned with his health he'd be doing everything he could to get his heath straight. I have psoriatic arthritis and if I was in prison I wouldn't get anything except a lower bunk pass. I was in county jail and they wouldn't let me have my glasses which I was arrested with, mine was a vop. So really OP your guys problems are very minor and I'm sorry but he is the one who has to deal with them not you. Even applying for compassionate release my husband had to fill out the forms and he was dying of cancer that they let go untreated for three years!!!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 PM

How long has he been in? How old is he?