Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Under Investigation- What does this even mean?

Found out he is in confinement and when I called, I was told he is under investigation and will probably get transferred somewhere else.

What does this even mean? How is an investigation conducted?

I am quite upset right now and worried.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,965 Times in 1,414 Posts

Well, someone suspects him being involved in some rule violation.

They cuff him up, pack his property up to be stored in the property room and send him to administrative confinement while the officers and possibly the institutional Inspector General investigate the claims.

They have 7 days to serve him with a Diciplinary Report. They have 30 days to investigate and may request a 15 day extension.

Then, it all goes before the Institutional Classification Team for ruling and maybe punishment. Punishment consists of confinement (jail) time, taking of gain time and may consist of visit/phone suspension. And, sometimes, transfer.

It depends on what he is accused of and if they stick it to him.

Please mail him 10 envelopes, 10 sheets of paper and a book of stamps at least 2 times a week if you can in a large Manila envelope without metal clasp. It is very hard for them to get anything from property room and they aren't allowed to order much from canteen.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
maytayah (08-28-2017), Minor activist (09-01-2017), MorganG25 (08-28-2017), xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 11:23 AM

Thank you, Thank you!
So he should be able to still write?

I think they have a limit of 10 items per envelope..but I will send those out today for him.

I am so scared right now.

I am thankful for this forum.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganG25 View Post
Thank you, Thank you!
So he should be able to still write?

I think they have a limit of 10 items per envelope..but I will send those out today for him.

I am so scared right now.

I am thankful for this forum.
If he's in FDOC or a private run Florida prison, he can have the stationary items. You may STILL send 15 additional other items like photos.

Stationary and personal correspondence doesn't count in the limit.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
MorganG25 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 11:52 AM

I am sending out paper, envelopes, and stamps. At least he can hopefully get letters out. This DOC system is, at times, ridiculous IMO. My own observation is a percentage of officers are great, but the others seek to tear down and cause problems. But I obviously don't have all the facts yet.

Last edited by MorganG25; 08-28-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Sounds about right.

You just have to learn how it goes, learn to navigate the 33's (link
In the welcome PM) and navigate it the best you can.

Have a god day, and....don't ever let them see you sweat.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjewel View Post
Sounds about right.

You just have to learn how it goes, learn to navigate the 33's (link
In the welcome PM) and navigate it the best you can.

Have a god day, and....don't ever let them see you sweat.
Yes! I am concerned about him. Corruption is well known there, as are inmate deaths. It seems too common it is in the final months of incarceration that someone (an officer) stirs up a heap of trouble.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:29 PM

ONE LAST QUESTION: Is there anything I can do to help him or is it best to wait it out? Thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,989 Posts

Honestly in a case like this wait it out. If it was anything else I'd be the first one screaming to call the warden. But when it comes to this stuff shut up and be support, not the advocate.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
MorganG25 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Honestly in a case like this wait it out. If it was anything else I'd be the first one screaming to call the warden. But when it comes to this stuff shut up and be support, not the advocate.
Alrighty... it is tough to sit and wait. It just stinks of injustice.
The Following User Says Thank You to MorganG25 For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-01-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 PM

HEY, PLEASE, I NEED HELP ASAP?
I got a letter today from him saying he does not know why he is in confinement, he has no personal property, his money is gone from his canteen.
He asked me to help him. To call inmate banking, Trinity? something, and also UD? I don't know what that stands for? and also call a certain officer to talk to him to get him out of there.

PLEASE ADVISE? QUICK? He has been in there now 7 days.

From what I read in the 33's, he is supposed to be told at the time what the violation is, or at least by the 5th day.

I was also not notified about visitation, which according to the 33's, I was supposed to be before the next visiting day. I was not.

HELP?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I got a letter today from him saying he does not know why he is in confinement, he has no personal property, his money is gone from his canteen.
He asked me to help him. To call inmate banking, Trinity? something, and also UD? I don't know what that stands for? and also call a certain officer to talk to him to get him out of there.

From what I read in the 33's, he is supposed to be told at the time what the violation is, or at least by the 5th day.

I was also not notified about visitation, which according to the 33's, I was supposed to be before the next visiting day. I was not.

HELP?
Please let me know if you find anything out! I'm going through the same thing!

Tiffany ❤
Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 PM

Thanked 1,469 Times in 589 Posts

That sounds strange to me. I would suggest that you reach out to the Florida DOC Ombudsman. They are supposed to be the go between for families with loved ones incarcerated. Maybe they can help explain what's going on. I would just act puzzled & concerned & ask for advice on how to learn his status. Tell them you want to do everything correctly & go through proper procedure but you're not sure what that is. Here's the info about them-
Office of Family Services

Sylvia Williams, Family Ombudsman
(850) 410-4243, SunCom 210-4243

The Office of Family Services is responsible for improving the communication between families, their incarcerated loved ones, and the department. Accordingly, the Family Ombudsman acts as a liaison between families and the department, ensuring that complaints related to transfers, medical conditions, physical abuse and other general concerns are analyzed, evaluated, and handled according to department procedures and applicable rules and statutes. The Family Ombudsman supervises the Correspondence Control Unit, coordinates with the Bureau of Legislative Affairs and Bureau of Public Affairs regarding family issues, makes recommendations to executive staff regarding family issues, and monitors institutional visitation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (09-01-2017), MorganG25 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
I got a letter today from him saying he does not know why he is in confinement, this is strange, he may not understand it but, is aged they told him

he has no personal property, nope, no personal property in confinement. They pack it all up to the property room. This is why I always say to send them the stationary and pictures.
his money is gone from his canteen. he is not allowed to use his card when he goes to jail. However, if he is adamant, he can get a print out of his account

Inmate banking won't tel you very much anymore, I don't have trinity's number (that's the vendor for the canteens, if I am not mistaken) and I don't know what UD could be.

From what I read in the 33's, he is supposed to be told at the time what the violation is, or at least by the 5th day. then, call classification and ask them what he's in jail for and write him what they tell you. That's all you can do about that

I was also not notified about visitation, which according to the 33's, I was supposed to be before the next visiting day. I was not. please show me where this is in the 33's

HELP?
When they go to jail it's hard to help them. A lot of times you just have to wait it out. Confinement (jail) is hard on all involved. But, you should be able to call and find out what's going on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
MorganG25 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:40 AM

Thank you GaReform and Anjewel for your help. This is a different world for me. I will be making some calls today, and will stay calm. I did send him plenty of stamps, paper, and envelopes, per your advice.

The part about visitation is in the rule for Administrative confinement.

Quote:
Pursuant to Rule 33-601.733, F.A.C., upon placement into administrative confinement, the warden shall ensure that inmates are provided the opportunity, at the inmates’ expense, to notify at least three approved visitors of any visitation prohibitions or restrictions before the next scheduled visiting day if the situation permits the inmate to do so, or that staff makes visitor notifications by phone if the inmate is unable to make them

Last edited by MorganG25; 08-31-2017 at 07:43 AM..
Old 08-31-2017, 12:42 PM

I never got any answers from them, but I decided to see if his status changed on a search and he has been transferred. He is already in another facility, dated yesterday.

NO COMMUNICATION AT ALL.

Do they give him back his personal property? Letters? Pictures? Do they ever communicate with families?!? *crying*
Old 08-31-2017, 01:01 PM

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,989 Posts

I see you you are listing yourself as a friend so unless you are next of kin you really have no real rights when it comes to even calling and asking anything. You can call his new facility and find out what his custody level is. Generally mail will be returned not forwarded so you might want to send out another letter and stamps to where he is now. I found out the hard way that FDOC can and will keep friends and family from having contact with inmates.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
MorganG25 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I see you you are listing yourself as a friend so unless you are next of kin you really have no real rights when it comes to even calling and asking anything. You can call his new facility and find out what his custody level is. Generally mail will be returned not forwarded so you might want to send out another letter and stamps to where he is now. I found out the hard way that FDOC can and will keep friends and family from having contact with inmates.
I did get in contact with the new place. I am being put down as the contact. He is okay. The bad thing is his personal property was not returned. The reply was, "We don't know where it is", from down here.

I guess there is still one more battle to be won. (Don't they legally have to return all of it???)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

I have never got mail back over a transfer. It just takes a couple weeks to catch up to him.

Property almost always gets 'lost' or damaged. You can grieve it but, I've never seen that do any good.

And, regardless of what the 33's say, in almost 3 decades I've been notified beforehand about 3 or 4 times of confinement. Usually, he gets a message to me. He always gives someone my number so their family can call me if he gets cuffed up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
MorganG25 (09-14-2017), xolady (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:55 AM

Default Thanks for the information provided.

Quote:
Well, someone suspects him being involved in some rule violation.

They cuff him up, pack his property up to be stored in the property room and send him to administrative confinement while the officers and possibly the institutional Inspector General investigate the claims.

They have 7 days to serve him with a Diciplinary Report. They have 30 days to investigate and may request a 15 day extension.

Then, it all goes before the Institutional Classification Team for ruling and maybe punishment. Punishment consists of confinement (jail) time, taking of gain time and may consist of visit/phone suspension. And, sometimes, transfer.

It depends on what he is accused of and if they stick it to him.

Please mail him 10 envelopes, 10 sheets of paper and a book of stamps at least 2 times a week if you can in a large Manila envelope without metal clasp. It is very hard for them to get anything from property room and they aren't allowed to order much from canteen.
That is exactly the situation of my son right now at "Liberty". It breaks my heart not having any news from him. I mailed him paper, envelopes, stamps, but still no answer, It has been two weeks today. This incarceration system is so inhuman. If the prisoner is good, the system is designed to pervert them, to be abused and re-punish. Not correction only punishment. Just to think that his special supplies like $ 200.00 dollars I ordered with lots of sacrifices will be lost, hurts a lot. At this moment I just can pray for his well-being. The prisoners are in the hands of whoever is in charge there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethechange For This Useful Post:
MorganG25 (09-01-2017), Tiffmm24 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I have never got mail back over a transfer. It just takes a couple weeks to catch up to him.

Property almost always gets 'lost' or damaged. You can grieve it but, I've never seen that do any good.

And, regardless of what the 33's say, in almost 3 decades I've been notified beforehand about 3 or 4 times of confinement. Usually, he gets a message to me. He always gives someone my number so their family can call me if he gets cuffed up.
This has been a very rough time and there are still many unanswered questions and much to talk about and with being in a new place just not the ability to do it yet. He is farther away now, which makes it even more difficult. One day at a time. Thanks for being here for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to MorganG25 For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

I was as lost as you feel when I found PTO. So, I know the depth of saying thanks for being here...

You are welcome. This is why we do what we do.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
icj357 (09-22-2017), MorganG25 (09-07-2017), xolady (09-01-2017)