Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: Do you think he got too much time for what he did?
YES, I think his sentence was way too harsh. 2,420 86.34%
NO, I think his sentence was pretty fair. 206 7.35%
NO, I think his sentence was lenient. He got lucky! 177 6.31%
Voters: 2803. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Sam

Yes, my guy got way too much time and no one died. But it was serious and could have been. Lesson learned but 15 would have been better than 26!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 AM

27 to Life for Murder.

Evidence was circumstantial and I don't believe warranted a conviction, however I do believe he is guilty of the crime and got off easy. The chances of him ever seeing life outside of prison is slim to none, so hopefully the family of his victim takes solace in that.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 AM

Williamson County Judge Ken Anderson...way to much time....
Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM

Default Will 85% Sentence be decreased

Hello all, I am new to prison talk. I have been hearing things about the maximum sentence being decreased from 85% to 65% this year. Has anyone heard anything about it.

Thank you in advance for any comments.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Yes my boyfriends sentence was hard..

6 years for first time offender, because he was by a public park. If he would have been ONE block over..he would have qualified for boot camp, rehab, work relsease, etc.

Bogus!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 PM
TDZWIFE

Yes 3 consecutive life sentences for arm robbery (no one was physically injured) ! This wasn't his original sentence handed down by the judge!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl919 View Post
Just curious. Do you think your man got too much time for what he did? I know I definitely do. I mean, I know he DID commit his crime but I think his sentencing was WAY too harsh (he got 7 years). :shake: Especially when I read about these people who did much worse things (in my opinion) and got less time than him. Anyways, so do you think your man's sentence was too harsh or do you think it was fair?
My boyfriend is in mycf and was recently denied parole. He's appealing it because he believes it was unfair and was given an additional 12 months. And wants to get a lawyer . Does anyone know what his chances could be of being released? Or know of any good lawyers in Trenton nj or Annandale?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 AM

I do, G got 36 months for probation violation. His original charges were 4 years ago (misdemeanor theft) and he was picked up for yelling at the halfway house manager.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Love addict

I know what I am thinking may not be the popular thing to say.. but yeah.. I think he got what he deserves. My baby sold heroin. He received 7 years. Hopefully he has learned from this. But of course he doesn't agree..

Shay

Everyone says that love hurts, but that's not true. Loneliness hurts. Rejection hurts. Losing someone hurts. Everyone confuses these things with love, but in reality, LOVE is the only thing in this world that covers up all the pain and makes us feel wonderful again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shayvalleygirl For This Useful Post:
IrishFire (02-10-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Default My baby boy

My son was 17 when he graduated high school and went into the army. Never been in trouble before and came home, got mixed up with the wrong person, and he got 12 years (first offense) at the age of 21: no probation, rehabilitation or anything! I think the system is twisted and unfair. It put me in the hospital with a heart attack (pacemaker) and I am trying everyday to hold on and be strong so that I am here and alive when he gets home.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wanda48 For This Useful Post:
Miss AJ (02-20-2014), newatthis88 (06-09-2014), ScottysGirl2023 (03-30-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Yessssssssssssssss my man got 15 years for trafficking cocaine....... Florida is wayyyyyyy too harsh and the min for the amount he had was 3 years!!!!!! In our opinion he didn't hurt anyone he was just helping those that wanted to get high get high lol. I kid, I kid. but seriously 15 years for a 3 year min is crazy!!!! 10 down 5 to go plus he don't get gain time that's for other reasons though
Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 PM

my man was sentenced to 15 to Life with parole for attempted murder. I don't think his sentence was harsh. But I do feel he's paid his debt to society and should be allowed to come home
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeThreeThree View Post
Yessssssssssssssss my man got 15 years for trafficking cocaine....... Florida is wayyyyyyy too harsh and the min for the amount he had was 3 years!!!!!! In our opinion he didn't hurt anyone he was just helping those that wanted to get high get high lol. I kid, I kid. but seriously 15 years for a 3 year min is crazy!!!! 10 down 5 to go plus he don't get gain time that's for other reasons though
Yeah, stuff like this is why the feds, and slowly states, are coming around on reform. What's the point of locking up someone for 15 years who's non-violent? Not to mention cost on the person's life and their family?

Besides, 15 years in some places? If you weren't violent going in, you will be coming out
Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Thumbs down

Randy got 30-45 years. Even though he admits he's guilty, his sentence is way too harsh. They made an example out of him because of who it was against. He's coming up on 30 years. I sure do hope they send him, home!!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM

My best friend/boyfriend got 3 sentences of 6 a piece running consecutive. =( For one probation violation and the others for identity theft and fraud. I think it was WAY to harsh a sentence. He was always confused about what was happening throughout the whole trial, his lawyer pressured him into settling for the plea. Not a month later and reality is setting in., he is sober..., and wishing he would have hired a lawyer instead of staying with the public defender.. He didn't even have a bond and not eligible for a parole hearing until Dec.2021. If anyone knows of anything he can do to lighten his sentence of get an earlier parole hearing I'd appreciate it. THANKS!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:18 AM
Account Closed

Default Way too harsh!

Hell yea his sentence is too harsh, but thats Florida for you. I know he commited the crimes but 10 years for some petty shit isn't right. It's all about the point system in FL and since he had already been in DOC we knew he was going to be heading back. All we can be glad for is that he has a release date and it's not LIFE like they wanted to give him..

Moving him outta FL as soon as he is released!

Last edited by ScottysGirl2023; 03-30-2014 at 03:32 AM..
Old 03-30-2014, 03:23 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeaMichelle View Post
My best friend/boyfriend got 3 sentences of 6 a piece running consecutive. =( For one probation violation and the others for identity theft and fraud. I think it was WAY to harsh a sentence. He was always confused about what was happening throughout the whole trial, his lawyer pressured him into settling for the plea. Not a month later and reality is setting in., he is sober..., and wishing he would have hired a lawyer instead of staying with the public defender.. He didn't even have a bond and not eligible for a parole hearing until Dec.2021. If anyone knows of anything he can do to lighten his sentence of get an earlier parole hearing I'd appreciate it. THANKS!

How come they are running consecutive and not concurrent? Mine's are concurrent so he's doing the highest of 10, otherwise it would be 63 total.

Sounds like he had a public pretender...
Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 PM

No.. I mean he got the standard for what he did.. I do not agree with the standards but that's government for you. I believe that people who commit crimes due to drugs should be put into a rehab facility for awhile not put into prison where they can get more stuff in there than on the streets.. ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taydarling For This Useful Post:
newatthis88 (06-09-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,569 Times in 715 Posts

Yes my wife's sentence was fair. She got 5yrs 4 months @80% for Burglary. They gave her a first strike on her priors (nearly 20 years ago) and a second strike on the current offense. She is serving just over four on the current conviction. The DA originally wanted 13 years. We fought it and agreed to the 5yr 4 months at 80%
There are others with very similar convictions that are doing in excess of 15 years. One woman with almost the same history took a plea to 40 years. What was she thinking? So yea we dodged that bullet. We are in Cali and hopefully she will get the increase in good time credits as ordered by the Federal Court for 80%ers!! Oddly enough, it was two years ago today that she was arrested. We are half way through this nightmare..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeThreeThree View Post
Not to take away from your outrage.. ...
it does seem like Florida is full of it.
Well Oklahoma is worse (my hand on Bible),
my guy was given 50 yrs on Nov 15th 2013
for trafficking cocaine and marijuana. He just
arrived on the yard in Jan 2014 and has file for
and appeal due to how his case was handled.
I really have my fingers and toes crossed. I do
understand he should serve some time BUT 50
yrs is over kill.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Thumbs down my man to got to long for his time he got 10yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl919 View Post
Just curious. Do you think your man got too much time for what he did? I know I definitely do. I mean, I know he DID commit his crime but I think his sentencing was WAY too harsh (he got 7 years). :shake: Especially when I read about these people who did much worse things (in my opinion) and got less time than him. Anyways, so do you think your man's sentence was too harsh or do you think it was fair?
He got 10 yrs for trying to cash a bogus check
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Love Knows...
Donation Award 

My man's sister is addicted to crack and has been beaten, raped, robbed, etc. So when a young woman approached him and asked if he "had" something he said no. She said, "Can you find some?" So they walked about 10 blocks to a store that we call the "crack Store" (because everyone knows that's where to go for drugs). She hands him the money, he makes the buy, hands it to her and boom. He was arrested. She was undercover. When they asked him why, he said, "I was just trying to help the girl out." He was thinking about his sister. He got 19 months for a $20 rock.
I forgot to mention, we're in FLORIDA.

Last edited by IrishFire; 04-13-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

Everyone who doesn't understand the system will blame the system. Although I understand I know that once you have committed a crime and overstep your boundaries you will have to pay. Well you must pay for your mistakes. We all have boundries in life. Well in my view you knew you would be punished in some form. Something was gonna happen.. so I disagree with pretty much everyone. Although I get your side. I understand it's hard to be without someone for such a long permit of time when your used to them being part of your everyday life.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 PM
tired

Thanked 14,171 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkinoneya View Post
Everyone who doesn't understand the system will blame the system. Although I understand I know that once you have committed a crime and overstep your boundaries you will have to pay. Well you must pay for your mistakes. We all have boundries in life. Well in my view you knew you would be punished in some form. Something was gonna happen.. so I disagree with pretty much everyone. Although I get your side. I understand it's hard to be without someone for such a long permit of time when your used to them being part of your everyday life.
Let me tell you something, my son did over 17 years for selling marijuana. Did you know it's legal in some states to buy it? Hell the state here in California gives you a permit to buy, sell and grow the shit BUT my son did 17+ years.
Sure we all know right from wrong but don't you feel some of these laws and sentences are a little BIG? Who the hell started that stupid shit "war on drugs"? And why do some people get a slap on the hand and others do life? Fair? Hell no.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Banned

I never said that this world is perfect in any way. My point was that if things are done in a legal manner then you don't suffer the outrageous consequences that our shitty system will fork out.
Yes I know marijuana is legal a quite a few states. I did live in Colorado for a good minute. I'm not saying that I never did drugs. I've smoked my fair share of marijuana. I just didn't go anywhere with it and I did make sure I never did anything wrong to make the officers believe they had any reason to consider me as a criminal.
Yes your son maybe should NOT have gotten so long, but the only people to blame would be him; for having it in the event of getting busted, the judge, Jury and his attorney.
I do agree with you about a lot not being fair. Someone being busted with marijuana should not get the same/ worse punishment than a murderer. I was only stating if you don't do things to get in trouble well, you don't see that punishment.