Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:52 PM

Default Husband moved 3 times, I have no idea why.

I have no clue what's going on. I haven't heard from him in over two weeks and I just realized he switched prisons. He is in North Kern now from Golden State, I called to get his mailing info they told me he is in CW? What the heck is CW? The counselor I talked to did not give me any info just that he got there March 5th. He has been in since June 10th 2016. So I don't understand why they moved him and I'm pretty freaked out considering I can not get any information from anyone at the prison. I've called and my mother in law has. If anyone can have any possible insight it would be helpful, this forum seems pretty quiet.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 AM

Default Re Husband Went

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalavera21 View Post
I have no clue what's going on. I haven't heard from him in over two weeks and I just realized he switched prisons. He is in North Kern now from Golden State, I called to get his mailing info they told me he is in CW? What the heck is CW? The counselor I talked to did not give me any info just that he got there March 5th. He has been in since June 10th 2016. So I don't understand why they moved him and I'm pretty freaked out considering I can not get any information from anyone at the prison. I've called and my mother in law has. If anyone can have any possible insight it would be helpful, this forum seems pretty quiet.
I believe CW refers to 'Charlie West', a sensitive-needs yard (SNY) at NKSP. Your husband could be in an SNY for a variety of reasons, including health care/medical hold. Info is often hard to come by, but there have been some recent racial tensions and at least one racial 'incident' that happened last Sunday (3/12/17) which resulted in the death of one inmate. If you Google North Kern State Prison you'll find news articles relating to this sad event. Lock-downs occur frequently, especially when tensions are high, and mail can definitely be affected/delayed. My own son is at NKSP, was put in protective custody in an SNY for safety reasons, & it was almost 2 weeks before I received a letter from him. Since NKSP is considered a 'reception center' & your husband was moved from another prison he could just be in a holding pattern until he sees his counselor and/or is reclassified. It's so hard to keep from worrying, but things move very slowly at N. Kern...especially mail to and from our loved ones. Hang in there & keep the faith - and keep writing to your husband. Wherever he is, your letters will eventually catch up. I hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to sdchargers13 For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:53 AM

just a heads up.. i do know that if he did get put in a sensitive needs yard, it's even harder than normal to get any information over the phone. they see it as a security risk because of the status of the yard. so that's a good chance of them not giving you any info really.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrittanyrenee View Post
just a heads up.. i do know that if he did get put in a sensitive needs yard, it's even harder than normal to get any information over the phone. they see it as a security risk because of the status of the yard. so that's a good chance of them not giving you any info really.
My own experience when I've called the prison is that staff will only confirm whether someone is there or not. They won't divulge any other information - for state-mandated privacy reasons as well as for the safety of the inmate. It's hard for the loved ones, but I totally understand.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchargers13 View Post
My own experience when I've called the prison is that staff will only confirm whether someone is there or not. They won't divulge any other information - for state-mandated privacy reasons as well as for the safety of the inmate. It's hard for the loved ones, but I totally understand.

yeah i mean i understand why they do it but it's so sucky at the same time... my boyfriend isn't SNY but he almost died in the beginning of december & it took me until january to be given any information. i was losing my damn mind.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrittanyrenee View Post
yeah i mean i understand why they do it but it's so sucky at the same time... my boyfriend isn't SNY but he almost died in the beginning of december & it took me until january to be given any information. i was losing my damn mind.
I'm so sorry. And you're right - it sucks, big time
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM

Thanks everyone, I called the prison and the guy gave me the same info. Thank goodness. Everyone was telling me it's Potty Watch I'm like my husband is straight as an arrow and I would kill him. Now I know its reception I'm bummed but it's okay. At least he is okay and not in trouble. problem is he doesn't know my new address we just moved before he transferred and I didn't get the chance to give him my PO Box so I'm going to write him and let him know.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 PM

I'm so glad he's ok and I hope you are too! The system is lousy, at best but the only way I've learned to cope is to set up 'alerts' on my computer for any news re N. Kern - and to keep in touch via letters. When my son first arrived he sent me the form for visitation, which they apparently 'lost' and a couple of months ago he sent me ANOTHER form to fill out. When I finally reached a live person at NK I asked if there was a chance of getting a visit if I just showed up and was told no. That's all the info they would provide, other than telling me that he was still there. Sigh .... it's the not knowing that makes all of this so damned hard. What really bothers me is that the CDCR website continues to show names of inmates that I know for a fact are not there - or are deceased. I'm doing time with my son - and it's terrible. Still, I do whatever I can to find any information I can. I've gone down this road twice now & it has taken its toll on my mind & my health. I just want him to be safe & come home alive. I'm sure that's what you want too, so please hang in there. We are their only source for support, love & patience. And thank you for sharing .... I feel pretty alone in all of this.