Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Post 2018 Prison Strike News Articles & Discussion

I am seeing a lot of articles in preparation for the strike starting August 21, so I'm making a thread where we can read, discuss and advocate for the strike.

So far the hashtags I've seen are #Aug21 #August21 #2018prisonstrike and #Prisonstrike.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 06:57 PM

Default Mother Jones: Prisoners Are Getting Creative to Pull Off a Massive Strike T

Prisoners Are Getting Creative to Pull Off a Massive Strike This Week
How do you organize a nationwide protest from behind bars?

One recent afternoon in a pizzeria in Oakland, California, Cole Dorsey pulls out an LG flip phone to explain how he’s helping organize a strike in the country’s harshest workplace. The phone is small and black, with a busted interior screen. Occasionally, he says, the cover lights up with a Texas area code and a number associated with Global Tel Link, which means a prisoner is calling. When the calls come in, Dorsey picks up, takes a message, then hangs up and waits for the phone to ring again. Then he passes the original message along to an inmate held in another part of the same facility.

Read entire article below:

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...or-organizers/

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules.

Last edited by patchouli; 08-20-2018 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Old 08-20-2018, 07:04 PM

Default Ohio Prisoners Face Crackdown For Speaking Publicly About National Strike

Even more disturbingly, prison officials were so concerned with silencing Hasan that they barricaded his cell. “There are a security barrier and sandbags outside his cell door (presumably to prevent anyone from passing anything to him),” the lawyers added.

Ohio Prisoners Face Crackdown For Speaking Publicly About National Strike

Ohio prison officials revoked phone access for one year and suspended other privileges for an incarcerated activist, who spoke publicly in support of a nationwide prison protest scheduled to begin August 21.

Siddique Abdullah Hasan has advocated prisoner resistance for decades from death row at the Ohio State Penitentiary, where he has lived ever since a court ruled he was complicit in the death of a corrections officer during the 1993 Lucasville Uprising.

The severe disciplinary action he faces is illustrative of the absurd lengths to which prison officials will go to prevent prisoners from speaking about the upcoming strike. The incident also exposes how prison officials are adapting their efforts to preempt prisoner resistance through social media surveillance and targeted harassment.

Read entire article HERE.

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 08-20-2018 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Old 08-20-2018, 07:10 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,310 Times in 2,336 Posts

Who's really making the demands?

Prisoners Are Getting Creative to Pull Off a Massive Strike This Week

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...or-organizers/

"Describing the Lee riot as a “senseless uprising” caused by a lack of respect for prisoners’ lives, Jailhouse Lawyers Speak called for a strike and listed 10 demands including voting rights for all inmates and former felons and ending life sentences without parole. It also has specific policy goals, like reinstating Pell grants for prisoners and repealing the Prison Litigation Reform Act, which makes it harder for inmates to sue over poor living conditions."

I was wondering how the demands made by those incarcerated at Lee when many have trouble getting in contact with their loved ones by phone and visitation on the weekends have been problematic over the past four months.
cien (08-20-2018), S.Barnett (08-28-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
Who's really making the demands?

I was wondering how the demands made by those incarcerated at Lee when many have trouble getting in contact with their loved ones by phone and visitation on the weekends have been problematic over the past four months.

From: Shadowproof.com, 'Interview: South Carolina Prisoners Challenge Narrative Around Violence At Lee Correctional Institution':

One of the prisoners identified himself as a member of Jailhouse Lawyers Speak, a group of imprisoned human rights advocates that has made national calls to action for a prisoner-led strike in response to the conditions they feel are truly responsible for the violence and hopelessness within prisons across the United States. The strike is expected to begin on August 21st, 2018.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cien View Post
From: Shadowproof.com, 'Interview: South Carolina Prisoners Challenge Narrative Around Violence At Lee Correctional Institution':

One of the prisoners identified himself as a member of Jailhouse Lawyers Speak, a group of imprisoned human rights advocates that has made national calls to action for a prisoner-led strike in response to the conditions they feel are truly responsible for the violence and hopelessness within prisons across the United States. The strike is expected to begin on August 21st, 2018.

It's been my understanding that those who were contacted through contraband phones were reprimanded following the release of this interview. Hence why the entire system is still being held under 23-hour lockdown and the director and governor can fuel the argument that cell phones are the leading cause of violence and deaths within the state prison system.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Carolina traveler

'We are treated like slaves': Spurred by Lee prison riots, inmates launch national strike

COLUMBIA – South Carolina prison officials said they are prepared if inmates take part in a nationwide prison strike called to draw attention to prison conditions in the wake of April's fighting at Lee Correctional that left seven prisoners dead.Death, violence in SC prisons: How Lee Correctional put gangs before safety
The strike is scheduled to begin today and stretch until Sept. 9, the anniversary of a bloody uprising at Attica prison in New York in 1971.
Organizers are calling for work stoppages, sit-ins, boycotts and hunger strikes and have released a list of 10 demands...

Read the entire article below:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ay/1040069002/

Edited by Admin to con form with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 08-21-2018 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to choclgs For This Useful Post:
cien (08-21-2018), gvalliant (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Default Pleasantly surprised

Pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail and fairness of this article thanks for sharing!
Old 08-21-2018, 02:14 PM

Default US inmates stage nationwide prison labor strike over 'modern slavery'

US inmates stage nationwide prison labor strike over 'modern slavery'

Organisers say prisoners across the country are expected to refuse to work, hold sit-ins and even stage hunger strikes

On Tuesday, America’s vast army of incarcerated men and women – at 2.3m of them they form by far the largest imprisoned population in the world – will brace itself for what has the potential to be the largest prison strike in US history.

Nineteen days of peaceful protest are planned across the nation, organised largely by prisoners themselves.

Read entire article here

Something I found shocking in this, Louisiana pays 4 cents an hour. I guess that's better than getting paid in "good time" like TDCJ prisons. Still abysmal though. I think the prison slavery issue will resonate with many people, who, on the outside, are getting crap wages.
The Following User Says Thank You to cien For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:06 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,627 Times in 14,980 Posts

Statement from Vera Institute of Justice on Nationwide Prison Strike

NEW YORK, NY – Today, incarcerated men and women in prisons across 17 states began a 19 day strike to draw attention to the poor conditions they face and to demand change for all those who live and work in prisons across the country.

Nicholas Turner, President of the Vera Institute of Justice, released the following statement:

https://www.vera.org/newsroom/press-...-prison-strike

...and from ACLU:

The Nationwide Prison Strike: Why It’s Happening and What It Means for Ending Mass Incarceration

Earlier this spring, violence broke out in the Lee Correctional Institution in South Carolina, resulting in seven deaths and many injuries. Incarcerated leaders in the South Carolina prison system decided they had had enough. Brutal treatment from corrections officers, deteriorating prison conditions, and incredibly long, punitive sentences had led to a condition of hopelessness in South Carolina’s prisons.
Leaders within the South Carolina prison system began reaching out to incarcerated allies across the country, including the Free Alabama Movement, who had led a prison strike in 2016. A decision was made: It was time to launch a national prison strike to raise awareness around the brutality of mass incarceration.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/smart-just...-incarceration

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
cien (08-28-2018), gvalliant (08-21-2018), JustLilOlMe1012 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:09 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,038 Times in 6,850 Posts

Driving home today I heard an interview with Amanda Sawari, public spokesperson for Jailhouse Lawyers Speak on The Takeaway. The podcast is not yet posted on the site, but I will update this post with a link when it is. [Listen to interview here 9m20sec]

First, I want to be clear about my experience in order to frame my response for those who don't yet know how I got here. I am not without my biases and I want to be clear in that.
I am the wife of an inmate in a state facility in California. He has served 13 years in state facilities and 3 years, pre-trial, in a county jail for a violent offense. He has done time in the SHU, was an active Latino gang member in and outside of prison. He has also made huge strides in turning his life around-- dropping out of the gang culture and down in security levels, earning a spot in the education department and, having entered prison with a 9th grade education, is on his way to his first college degree utilizing the opportunities afforded him in prison. He is the poster child for the criminal no one wanted in their neighborhood and a rehabilitated future former inmate with much to contribute when he is released.

The podcast framed the strike as a response to the horrific riot at Lee Correctional in which seven inmates lost their lives and left many more wounded. The next sound byte came from a professor who has two brothers who served time at Lee with one present during the riot. His claims about lack of staffing and overcrowding driving the conditions and eventual riot were logical and clear. And then comes the interview with Ms. Sawari.

To use her own description, the organization of this protest is ambitious. Through this interview specifically, it also appears awkward, entitled, and out of touch with mechanisms of change. Ms. Sawari highlights the issues that some on this site have taken with the protest which are that the 'demands' made (via contraband cell phones) are far too broad to effect any realistic and long lasting change. No nation-wide protest that lumps all departments, all inmates, and all experiences into a sweeping "prisons" and "inmates" statement can withstand criticism. In fact, the sound byte The Takeaway prefaced the podcast with was from the mother of a woman in county jail who claims that undergarment changes were only permitted once a week. The experience between a county jail and a state, let alone a federal, facility, could not be more different. To place them in the same category is to water down all experiences and most arguments. Take for example Ms. Sawari's claims about inmate work.

Ms. Sawari made a statement asserting that "most states require that inmates work", but her statement is full of holes. Which states? Is that county or state facilities? What about federal? As most of us here on PTO are more educated about, and have more exposure to, the realities of incarceration than say someone not intimately involved, Sawari left too much to listener discretion. Sawari goes on to talk about "forced slavery" and the 13th amendment claiming abolition of slavery. But she argues that no abolition can be had if an exclusion is included. There are cases of forced labor in prison that need to be addressed. However, Ms. Sawari's example of a Michigan inmate required to work and having applied to work in a dog training program only to be placed in the kitchen due to a lack of space in the dog program failed to convince me that this equated to slavery. His lack of choice and miserable experience in the kitchen was not posited as harmful, but rather outside of "his (freedom of) choice". As a voter and the wife of an inmate, I have no issue with incarcerated people being required to hold a job provided it does not endanger their physical or mental health. After all, part of rehabilitation and a successful transition to the outside likely requires having a job. Why should it be so different inside? There is the issue of no or very low pay. If this interview, and perhaps inmate labor strike, has any positive attribute, it may be to draw attention to how many goods and services are provided by inmates in the US and that the savings of either no or low pay labor benefits large corporations.

Sawari also briefly touched on gang activity and how prisons cannot force inmates to be active and then punish them for participation via gang enhancements. This, to me, was the most "huh?" worthy claim. My awareness of enhancements is via sentencing through the courts-- not the prison. This means a person was active in a gang before going to prison. Therefor any time done for gang affiliation is not the result of the prison, but rather the inmate's choice. If Sawari is referring to program restrictions due to gang affiliation while in prison (remember, even in prison being active is a choice unlike the interviewee's claim that an inmate is forced) that is not an enhancement, but rather a consequence of gang activity in a secure environment.

So to reiterate-- the protest is ambitious in its scope, but it isn't particularly radical or innovative, it is riddled with confusing demands that leave listeners of this podcast with a sour taste for the stereotyped inmate begrudgingly doing time but refusing to drop their sense of entitlement. And what was most lost in this interview and seemingly with this protest, is the claim that these demands stem from and hold promise to improve facilities like Lee Correctional. And yet, few of the demands in the manifesto address what was and has been attributed to a lack of ethical and adept staffing and the willingness to overcrowd facilities.

With all due respect to those who work tirelessly to improve conditions inside our nation's jails, prisons and alternative custody programs, this protest falls short at best, and at worst, threatens to damage the reputation of the hard-working, regulation abiding inmate who wants to do their time and go home.

**The opinions expressed in this post are mine alone and do not reflect the views of PTO or its moderators as a whole.

Last edited by miamac; 08-22-2018 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: typos
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-22-2018), cien (08-28-2018), fbopnomore (08-21-2018), gvalliant (08-21-2018), joybubby (08-27-2018), JustLilOlMe1012 (08-23-2018), Mama33 (09-17-2018), Ms Sunny (08-23-2018), patchouli (08-21-2018), safran (08-21-2018), Sunnielg (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:37 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
**The opinions expressed in this post are mine alone and do not reflect the views of PTO or its moderators as a whole.

Yeah, there's been a time or two I felt it necessary to post a Disclaimer

I wholly support not only Criminal Justice Reform, but also Prison Industry reform - on both sides of the fence: Changes in Statutes & Administrative Regulations that cover Criminal Offenses, Sentencing, Probation & Parole through Legislative action at both Federal and State levels.

I'd like to see parole reinstated in the Federal System, the Florida DOC and any other state that no longer has parole. I'd like to see the end of for-profit prisons. And I'd like to see less profits for the industry vendors (phones, commissary) and less kickbacks from those vendors to County jails, State DOCs & Federal BOP (if applicable).

I wholeheartedly believe that the grievances listed by Nationwide Prison Strike do need to be very much improved. However, I have concerns about the final outcome for the inmates that do participate. What happens on September 10th? Write-ups? Loss of Privileges? Parole denial? Extended lockdowns and/or Hole time? I suppose we'll find out when its all said & done.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-22-2018), cien (08-28-2018), fbopnomore (08-21-2018), gvalliant (08-21-2018), LifeTraveler (08-27-2018), miamac (08-21-2018), Sunnielg (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 10:37 PM

Thanked 1,223 Times in 506 Posts

The incident at Lee a few months ago was bad. Still, I hate to think what might happen to some of the inmate participants. They are taking a stand, that takes guts cause they are the ones who stand to loose. I'm not sure I agree with any of us on the outside helping organize or motivate activities that involve inmates taking these risks. I wish more people on the outside - who don't face retribution - would take direct actions of their own.

I more align with involvement and support of outside groups, and some politicians, who work on inmates behalf for change politically and otherwise. That does not risk inmates to penalties and punishment. Done right, that does result in change. There are plenty of good ones out there - including PTO through it's information and resources - that are effective.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-22-2018), cien (08-28-2018), fbopnomore (08-22-2018), Mama33 (09-17-2018), miamac (08-21-2018), patchouli (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,038 Times in 6,850 Posts

Why The Incarcerated Deserve Humane Treatment on Day 2 of the National Prison Strike

In at least 17 states across the nation, prisoners are on strike.
On Tuesday night, allies and the formerly incarcerated held a rally outside the Metropolitan Detention Center, a federal detention facility in Brooklyn, New York where inmates are held while awaiting trial. The aim was to make as much noise as possible so inmates on the inside could hear.

Interview with Nicholas Turner, president of the Vera Institute of Justice. Click here.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
cien (08-28-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 05:05 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Why The Incarcerated Deserve Humane Treatment on Day 2 of the National Prison Strike

In at least 17 states across the nation, prisoners are on strike.
On Tuesday night, allies and the formerly incarcerated held a rally outside the Metropolitan Detention Center, a federal detention facility in Brooklyn, New York where inmates are held while awaiting trial. The aim was to make as much noise as possible so inmates on the inside could hear.

Interview with Nicholas Turner, president of the Vera Institute of Justice. Click here.
If those inmates are being held pending trial, unless they have previous felony convictions* they may be eligible to VOTE. What better way to facilitate CJ reform than to elect officials that are aware of and in support of CJ reform?

Every county jail across the country is holding non-convicted persons, folks that either can't afford bail or are being held without bond.....to add to my "I'd like to see" list from the other thread: I'd like to see those inmates who are eligible to register registered and all inmates eligible to vote vote.

The inmates wouldn't need to strike and risk so much if those of us out here went into our local facilities and registered eligible voters. Provide each inmate registered with an informational sheet highlighting where the candidates stand on issues (such as Criminal Justice Prison Reform). Absentee Ballots would cover the voting part of the equation.

*Maine & Vermont allow inmates to vote

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-22-2018), cien (08-28-2018), gvalliant (08-22-2018), Mama33 (09-17-2018), miamac (08-22-2018), Nickel Timer (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:02 PM
Carolina traveler

Last week word began circulating that men were being stripped searched or brought out in common areas in their boxers!

What the PR rep for SC Department of Corrections is saying is being very politically correct. At three prisons, the men changed their minds about not reporting to work for fear of retaliation.

We're waiting to see how the visitation process will go this weekend.
cien (08-28-2018), gvalliant (08-22-2018), patchouli (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Carolina traveler

Default A Former Warden’s View on Prison Strikes

A Former Warden’s View on Prison Strikes

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...prison-strikes
cien (08-28-2018), fbopnomore (08-24-2018), patchouli (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,141 Times in 11,758 Posts

Answers from a former bop warden, someone who knows how the federal bureau of prisons works, and what the "strikers" (and everyone else in those prisons too) can expect to happen. What he mentioned, but didn't explain, was what happens to the inmates who are "moved", most likely to Lewisburg Special Management Unit, SMU, (which is about to be relocated to the newly purchased "supermax" prison, AUSP Thomson, Ohio).
Old 08-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Carolina traveler

Default Prisons Are Already Retaliating Against Inmates Protesting ‘Modern Slavery’

Prisons Are Already Retaliating Against Inmates Protesting ‘Modern Slavery’
On Tuesday, inmates across the country launched a strike to protest labor conditions in prisons. Only three days into the strike, some inmates have experienced retaliation.

Inmates are already experiencing retaliation for alleged participation in the nation-wide prison strike that launched August 21, representatives from the prison labor advocacy group Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee (IWOC) told The Daily Beast.

The strike, organized by a prisoners’ rights group called Jailhouse Lawyers Speak and backed by IWOC, started Tuesday and will run until September 9. The strikers are calling for an immediate end to what they call “modern slavery,” a prison labor system that forces inmates to work for as little as four cents per hour, as well as nine other demands, detailed in a statement from April.

As part of the protest, participants are implementing a range of nonviolent tactics, including boycotts on work, collect phone calls, commissary snacks, package purchases, and electronic visitation—the major economic drivers of prison budgets.

But only three days into the strike, inmates are already facing backlash from correction officers.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/prison...modern-slavery

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 08-25-2018 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Old 08-27-2018, 09:00 AM

Default 2018 Prison Strike News Articles & Discussion

Has anyone heard anything from their LOs about the strike? I haven’t read or heard much about it since two days ago.

Last edited by yuliya1991; 08-27-2018 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Typed wrong, been up 36 hours :(
Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

There aren't very many prisons participating according to an article in The Marshall Project....and it came out 3 days ago. See below:

What’s Really Happening With the National Prison Strike?
Action is limited so far, but organizers are cheering the media attention.

(2nd paragraph) In the days leading up to the proposed start on Aug. 21, representatives for the strike said they anticipated demonstrations by inmates in as many as 17 states. But four days into the declared protests, they say they can confirm actions in only a handful of states. Organizers say they have confirmed accounts of participation at Northwest Detention Center, an immigration detention center in Washington; Folsom State Prison in California; McCormick Correctional Institution in South Carolina; and Toledo Correctional Institution in Ohio. They have relied mostly on the word of families and volunteers who have been in touch with participating inmates.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...-prison-strike

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-29-2018), cien (08-28-2018), marie8899 (08-31-2018), miamac (08-27-2018), yuliya1991 (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Newsweek: Ice detaineed join National Prison Strike

ICE Detainees Join Nationwide Prison Strike, Many Refusing to Eat: Organizers

Newsweek:

...At least 60 immigrant detainees at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, Washington, have joined inmates in their call for an "end to prison slavery" by launching their ownhunger strike, Maru Mora, spokeswoman for immigration advocacy group NWDC Resistance, told Newsweek.
Mora said at least 200 detainees had planned on joining the 19-day protest, which launched on Tuesday and is expected to be taking place across 17 states, but dozens dropped out due to health concerns and fear of retaliation from detention center staff...

read the entire article here

60/200 isn't that bad. Glad to see that all of the reports I've seen on Twitter report non-violent civil disobedience. I hope that the DoJs and DoCs will realize that retaliation plays into strikers hands. We won't know the full scope until after the strike is over.

I would like to see an expose on Bob Barker Inc. and other prison profiteers over the wildly inflated prices at commissary. Ya'lls criticisms of the broad strike demands are valid. Hopefully the steam will continue after the strike has concluded.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cien For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-29-2018), marie8899 (08-31-2018), patchouli (08-28-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Carolina traveler

Default No One Knows How Big the Prison Strike Is

No One Knows How Big the Prison Strike Is, But Organizers Are Already Calling It a Success

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...ns-organizers/
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,141 Times in 11,758 Posts

Whenever a politician or group issues a press release claiming huge success at a rally, inauguration parade, "march" or "strike", I don't believe it without proof. Not that the prison systems are any more honest. Spin versus spin.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:19 PM

I had asked my hubby about it....he, nor anyone he had spoken to about it, had heard of it. To the best of our knowledge, not one person in his camp has participated. They have, however, "due to low staff" not had rec times, or rec times were very very short. Canteen has also been closed a lot also.

I did notice the past two visits, that there was an additional metal detector (that isn't worth a crap, which is a completely different subject) and more questions at check in for visitation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-01-2018), fbopnomore (08-31-2018)