Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:39 PM

I'm a cynic. I believe that there is someone or some behind the name of this group, and somehow this org is just another predatory machine.
But on the other side, it has started a very big conversation.
I just hope for safety and sanity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
I'm a cynic. I believe that there is someone or some behind the name of this group, and somehow this org is just another predatory machine. But on the other side, it has started a very big conversation.
I just hope for safety and sanity.
I agree with your “some game is being played here” evaluation. That’s quite obvious and IMO cynicism isn’t needed to see it. When I was inside, there were lots of “not too bright” guys all over the place. God only knows--I earned my way into prison, so I was positively one of them. Even with that being the case, virtually nobody was dumb enough to go begging for multiple, really bad tickets, long-lasting, harsh discipline and destroyed early Parole hopes. I hope nobody already in prison thinks it’s a good idea to catch some really bad time because they were dumb enough to serve as some provocateur’s running dog.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-18-2018), fbopnomore (08-13-2018), LifeTraveler (08-13-2018), Ms Sunny (08-12-2018), Raf's Girl (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

>I believe that there is someone or some behind the name of this group,

International Workers of the World, they say as much.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 PM

I simply can't understand why people think starting something like this is a good idea.
We all agree that something needs to change but not with blunt force.
my biggest problem with this "idea" someone else will be paying the price for their daft idea.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

I'm not taking any bets, but here's an article that makes it sound like inmates kicked it off.

https://news.vice.com/article/we-spo...ave-conditions

Quote:
For almost two years Bennu Hannibal Ra-Sun has been in and out of solitary confinement at the St. Clair and William E. Donaldson correctional facilities in Alabama. Typically this means going without human contact, being isolated from other prisoners, and having zero contact with the outside world. Yet thanks to a network of smuggled phones, social media and snail-mail correspondence, Bennu — whose legal name is Melvin Ray — took a lead role in the coordination of what's been called the largest prison strike in United States history.
Oh, here's an idea that's not as dangerous to inmates:
Quote:
If strikes prove ineffective, the organizers will shift to Plan B. According to Pastor Kenneth Glasgow, an activist working with Hannibal on the outside, "the next phase" of the fight is promoting a public boycott on corporations that benefit from prison labor. Glasgow did not share the list of targets, but big-name corporations like McDonald's, Walmart and AT&T have reportedly used prison labor. In the past, companies have contracted prison labor for everything from cleaning up oil spills to sewing Victoria's Secret lingerie.
_elise_ (08-22-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:54 AM

IMO, this strike proving ineffective isn’t an “if”--it’s a “when” and the when is the scheduled dates. And then after that, they’ll be railing about some even lamer game plan. Most ridiculous of all is this thing being run by the IWW. I though those irrelevant, otherworldly dreamers disbanded half a century ago. Are they going to exhume and reanimate Eugene Debs?

The more I hear about this dangerous idea, the more I realize how absolutely toxic and destructive it’ll be to any prisoners foolish enough to participate in it.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:22 PM

Default About "outside agitators"

These demands have been set forth BY incarcerated FOR incarcerated people. Any outside organization who has pledged support is taking their direction from those inside.
The statement encourages action for incarcerated people IF they choose to engage in protests it's on them. I'm sure they know the consequences, and if they feel that the consequences are worth the risk to make changes, that's their choice to make.
Nothing changes without a demand. Nothing changes without risk. I applaud any prison activist organization that promotes this, as most of the country would rather push prison issues back into the shadows. You don't have to have been hit by a car to know it hurts, and you don't have to have been locked up to know that the entire system is ineffective and inhumane.
The Following User Says Thank You to cien For This Useful Post:
_elise_ (08-22-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,028 Times in 6,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cien View Post
These demands have been set forth BY incarcerated FOR incarcerated people. Any outside organization who has pledged support is taking their direction from those inside.
The statement encourages action for incarcerated people IF they choose to engage in protests it's on them. I'm sure they know the consequences, and if they feel that the consequences are worth the risk to make changes, that's their choice to make.
Nothing changes without a demand. Nothing changes without risk. I applaud any prison activist organization that promotes this, as most of the country would rather push prison issues back into the shadows. You don't have to have been hit by a car to know it hurts, and you don't have to have been locked up to know that the entire system is ineffective and inhumane.
I think the point that people are trying to make is that the organization that appears to be "backing" this has not stepped up in the way that one would expect given the magnitude of backlash that could happen following an inmate strike. The ONLY one who will suffer the most immediate and intense backlash from something like this is the participating inmate. Then his fellow inmates, then their loved ones. The organization? Not so much on the line.

Historically, inmate protests have not been the best way to make changes. Outside monitoring and pressure is far more successful and with less risk of dire consequence on any one inmate.

No system of change is perfect, but there's accepting imperfection and beating your head against the wall.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-19-2018), cien (08-18-2018), Ms Sunny (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 04:53 PM

I'd like to apologize if my tone was combative, I feel that this is an opportunity to highlight prison conditions in order to be able to put monitoring and pressure on local and federal governments. Also, as a volunteer with a prison abolitionist group, I work damn hard to get indigent people safekeeping, unit transfers, medical access. I know that IWOC members as well as various Anarchist Black Cross chapters support prisoners 24/7/365. It's offensive that people view our relationship to incarcerated people as coercive. Nobody I know gets paid to do this, we do it because we believe that if an institution is inhumane and ineffective, it needs to be changed.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 AM

Cien assuming you are right, why don't you guys motivate US on the outside to make noise ???
We all feel something needs to change but to be honest I wouldn't want my pen pal to participate in a prison strike. He has more than enough problems, why in heaven's ad some extra? Those that participate in this strike from the inside are not only jeopardizing their own safety but also of those that are housed with them. Did they ever think about that.It isn't just that one inmate but the whole prison that will suffer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raf's Girl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-19-2018), Ms Sunny (08-19-2018), Sunnielg (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,306 Times in 2,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cien View Post
I'd like to apologize if my tone was combative, I feel that this is an opportunity to highlight prison conditions in order to be able to put monitoring and pressure on local and federal governments. Also, as a volunteer with a prison abolitionist group, I work damn hard to get indigent people safekeeping, unit transfers, medical access. I know that IWOC members as well as various Anarchist Black Cross chapters support prisoners 24/7/365. It's offensive that people view our relationship to incarcerated people as coercive. Nobody I know gets paid to do this, we do it because we believe that if an institution is inhumane and ineffective, it needs to be changed.
Most people who have fought for change in our nation have never gotten paid for it and many sacrificed their lives in the process.

All we all are saying, as loved ones of those who are incarcerated and advocates the same, you cannot stand outside the walls and scream for revolution if you're not prepared to go inside and deal with the repercussions.

This weekend in South Carolina, families showed up for visits only to be turned away at the last minute without any reason as to why. I would not be surprised if this was in preparation for this "strike" that's being shared across the internet. We have been calling and emailing our governing bodies here to step forward and deal with the ills going on in our prison system for years and as you all have seen from afar, not even lost lives cause any of them to stop and say enough is enough! These men and women are seen as not being worth the lowest levels of the Earth to have compassion for but we still do our best to stand up for them.

So until I see these "advocates" step away from the cameras and anonymous websites when "breaking news" takes place, come to the State House and Headquarters with us when we're trying to get everything from laws and policy changes to a visit to a doctor taken care of, it's fluff to me.

There's been a 23-hour lockdown in place for 4 months as of this date for most and others for nearly 2 years, and no one from the IWOC and others have pushed to have that lifted. Each day it tears at the psyche of our loved ones, especially those who cannot see outside because windows have been covered...but it's all because of contraband and lack of staff
Sunnielg (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
So until I see these "advocates" step away from the cameras and anonymous websites when "breaking news" takes place, come to the State House and Headquarters with us when we're trying to get everything from laws and policy changes to a visit to a doctor taken care of, it's fluff to me.

You're absolutely right, and this is a criticism that I personally need to take. By any means necessary, means ANY means. Including traditional grievance apparatuses. My heart aches for your loved ones, it's reprehensible that the people who hold the keys would punish those imprisoned and their loved ones for whispers and rumors about direct action to reform their inhumane dungeons. Sit-ins and strikes can be avoided by the prison administration if they treated those imprisoned with the tiniest bit of decency. It isn't activists or imprisoned people that put administrators in this position; the prison administration did themselves.

If we look at the demands set forth by imprisoned people at Lee, we can see that these demands aren't so great that they couldn't be addressed. These are fair demands and they should be granted.

1. Immediate improvements to the conditions of prisons and prison policies that recognize the humanity of imprisoned men and women.
  2. An immediate end to prison slavery. All persons imprisoned in any place of detention under United States jurisdiction must be paid the prevailing wage in their state or territory for their labor.
  3. The Prison Litigation Reform Act must be rescinded, allowing imprisoned humans a proper channel to address grievances and violations of their rights.
  4. The Truth in Sentencing Act and the Sentencing Reform Act must be rescinded so that imprisoned humans have a possibility of rehabilitation and parole. No human shall be sentenced to Death by Incarceration or serve any sentence without the possibility of parole.
  5. An immediate end to the racial overcharging, over-sentencing, and parole denials of Black and brown humans. Black humans shall no longer be denied parole because the victim of the crime was white, which is a particular problem in southern states.
  6. An immediate end to racist gang enhancement laws targeting Black and brown humans.
  7. No imprisoned human shall be denied access to rehabilitation programs at their place of detention because of their label as a violent offender.
  8. State prisons must be funded specifically to offer more rehabilitation services.
  9. Pell grants must be reinstated in all US states and territories.
  10. The voting rights of all confined citizens serving prison sentences, pretrial detainees, and so-called “ex-felons” must be counted. Representation is demanded. All voices count.
You're right at the end of the day the way that IWOC has handled inquiries isn't right and doesn't inspire good faith that they are going to advocate fiercely for those on the inside. I can only speak for myself, I will call every TDCJ facility and office to ask that they accept these demands. And I will call South Carolina Department of Corrections and demand they allow visitation access for families. Please message me any specific prison you want me to call and I will call there as well.
_elise_ (08-22-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 03:27 PM

The demands are too broad. What about private prisons? What about rent if paid min wage? How will medical be handled? How to hire the proper administrative body?
If they had a plan, the seed of an idea, there would be a starting point.
These demands are all over, are based on emotion, and not based on any theory or idea. The SHU issue is huge. But now it’s lost in the miasma of every modal possible. There is security, civil rights, victims rights, correctional staff rights. Then SHU programs... this list of demands will never be seen as an idea for change, just some mystery group with JPay or some giant Corp behind it who is making a fortune off of the fears of family members.
Like I said, I’m jaded, doesn’t mean I’m wrong.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-20-2018), fbopnomore (08-19-2018), miamac (08-20-2018), Sunnielg (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,128 Times in 11,752 Posts

If only the strikers had to deal with the serious repercussions from the strike, that's one thing. But prisons learned long ago how to punish everyone for the actions of a few in order to turn inmates against each other.

All of the prisoners who oppose a strike as much as the strikers support it are dragged into the mess, against their wills. How is that not coercive to them and to their families? Outsiders who sit on the sidelines as their "ideas" cause havoc with folks in prison are like the politicians who, from their armchairs, send soldiers into harms way for no legitimate reason.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:14 PM

Coercive in the way that it was implied that activists have some ulterior motive for supporting the strike. I would assert that this isn't an ideological struggle. It's a material struggle with material benefits. An end to prison slavery, improved conditions, and legislation will not only help inmates, but their families as well.

This reaction is what BOP's hope for when imprisoned people try to strike. Place the blame on activist prisoners and supporters instead of on the prison administration. The prison administration create the horrible conditions, the prison administration denies visitation, the prison administration has power over the lockdown. At any point the prison administrations could make changes to make prisons safer, but choose not to. It isn't activist prisoners and supporters, it's the administration that holds all the keys.
_elise_ (08-22-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,128 Times in 11,752 Posts

Maybe collateral damage would have been a better choice of words, although the prisoners who are punished for not participating certainly feel abused by the outcome.

I agree that the problem lies with the actions of prison administrators, and that conditions for the inmates could easily be made better/more humane by them. Too many of them enjoy making life difficult for prisoners, and do everything they can to make sure that punishment is their job # one. I also doubt that outsiders, even those with the best intentions, understand what grief their agitating will have on the people who will receive the brunt of those same prison bureaucrat's anger.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:51 PM

Plus each state offers (or doesn't offer) different things. N.Y. VS SC, there is a world of difference. Go to Ohio, it's private industry. No one size fits all. If It someone had a idea...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-22-2018), miamac (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,028 Times in 6,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Plus each state offers (or doesn't offer) different things. N.Y. VS SC, there is a world of difference. Go to Ohio, it's private industry. No one size fits all. If It someone had a idea...
I was thinking that, too. Additionally, the social problems listed below that refer to sentencing and parole, while true, aren't directly the responsibility of the prison system (we can argue profits, but they don't directly make sentencing laws). So for an inmate to put his outdate or privileges on the line for something that prison officials aren't able to change, that wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by miamac; 08-20-2018 at 08:26 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-22-2018), cien (08-20-2018)