Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics General discussion forum for the UK. Come in and discuss issues in the British justice/prison system as well as your own personal issues.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 AM
Super Duper Admin

PTO Diamond Award Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 14,100 Times in 5,164 Posts
Default UK prison moves to stop drone deliveries of contraband

London - A British prison will install anti-drone technology to stop contraband being smuggled through the skies, the jail's governor says.

The Channel Island of Guernsey is installing an "invisible dome" above its prison to stop cellphones, drugs and weapons being smuggled in, governor David Matthews said.

Here

PTO Administrator

You know you are a successful woman when you build a good foundation with the bricks other people have thrown at you!

Please dont breed or buy while millions of unwanted pets die. Adopt a pet instead.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 AM
attorney

Thanked 20,725 Times in 7,336 Posts

This is becoming an increasingly problematic issue. As drones come down in price, as their payload increases, as the distance of operation increases, the more they are going to be used to smuggle in everything, including mail that hasn't gone through censor, drugs, guns, cellphones, etc. Since drones are not tagged with serial numbers attached to purchasers, finding the drone pilot and charging him/her becomes more and more impossible (as range increases).

Personally, I'm surprised that they haven't put together countermeasures simply because of cellphones. Add drones into the mix - it's becoming very important to control the influx of stuff and eventually outflow of stuff.

The first such case I heard about was maybe 5 years ago in the US. The guys piloting the drone were caught because the range was so small that they had to park their pick-up near enough that they were caught on camera or by a guard tower or something. The payload was a 6 pack of beer and a few nudey magazines, if I remember correctly. Since then, it's picked up steam. But, effective countermeasures are expensive. In the US, it's probably going to take a prison riot or the death of a guard or something to make this viable, seeing as they have done nothing about cell phones for the most part.

Guess inmates are going to have to go back to the tried and true methods of smuggling in and out goods and communications.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 7,685 Times in 3,370 Posts

This is a problem in the Uk drones being used to drop contraband over prison walls. The BBC recently showed CCTV footage of drugs cell phones and weaponsbeing delivered to cell windows at a London prison.
They are going to need to fight technology with technology.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army