Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:17 AM
Reeaslam87

Default Moving to other Countries Especially Germany for a Felon

I was recently charged with two State Felonies and one Second degree State felony case which are related to Drug Delivery in Texas. These cases are from one arrest which was complete Police setup. I have a Mechanical Engineer with skilled background and higher education. Currently I hold Green Card Permanent residency exp 2026 with Pakistani passport.

I have no idea how my court and cases are going to go. In the best case scenario, I can be on probation if convicted of these felonies or Worst case to be in the jail for a while.

It will be very difficult to find another job with felon record as a Mechanical Engineer so Best option for me is to move to another country and pursue my education and professional career. I always wanted to move to Germany and Europe countries, or even middle east with my Petroleum experience.

what countries can take a felon like me to start a new life and continue my life as skilled worker? Considering that I am Pakistani national who hold 10 year Green Card Permanent residency.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,192 Times in 10,377 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Check the immigration policies in every country you are considering for your move. You can start with their US Embassy. Drug charges may make it even more difficult to move there.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:15 AM

Europe is much more forward looking than the US when it comes to convictions. Once you have served your time you are free to start your life again. It is not held over your head forever and thrown in your face at every turn.
Germany is a great place for a qualified engineer.
The long and short of it is you will have to go through the visa process but as a highly educated and highly skilled person your chances are good.
The Following User Says Thank You to coachy1 For This Useful Post:
Zanna (Yesterday)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:23 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,663 Times in 7,087 Posts

Technically, you're going to have to expect to be deported at the conclusion of this case. If Pakistan is amenable to drug felons, you should contact your consulate now, to get their aid in dealing with these matters and to make deportation as easy as it can be. Further, you are going to have to deal with going to Germany or wherever from Pakistan, so lining up the relevant visas and doing your job searches in Germany or Pakistan now is a good idea. With the aid of your home country, and an agreement to actually deport on time, on your own dime, you may make this all a bunch easier. Further, your consulate can help you find both criminal and immigration attorneys to help smooth your way.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 01:39 PM

I would apply to companies all over Europe. Especially main land Europe. There are no borders between counties in the EU so it’s pretty easy to get around. And i don’t think criminal checks are the norm unless you are working with children or the vulnerable. I know I’ve never had a criminal check done and I work in finance!
Old 10-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,435 Times in 2,932 Posts

In the UK and I think most European countries employers can only run criminal record checks if the job advertised involves working with vulnerable people, children , elderly and disabled ,government jobs , emergency services, health care etc.
Although you must you must have a permit to work if you are from outside the EU and this may include a criminal record check,

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 PM
Reeaslam87

@fbopnomore
I totally agree with you that Drug laws keep changing and that's why I am going to German embassy sometime next month and inquire further details.

@coachy1
Thank you for the great advice. I feel the same that I can serve my time or fulfill the probation requirement and move to Europe with my career. I don't mind having a fresh start and live an improved life. I will def miss my daughter and ex Wife but I can make arrangements for them to come visit me or meet somewhere in the middle.

@yourself
It's the one thing that I am really scared about deportation because I can happily leave the country but staying in the holding cells and getting deported is another mess. I am going to prepare my passport just in case and also talk to Pakistani embassy about possible scenarios. Within a month or so, I am going to meet Immigration lawyer who can guide me through the process. When I met him for another pending felony case in the past, he assured me that you will be fine as long as I am in the US. If I leave and try to come back, there are very little chance that they will let me in.

@Twinkle82
I am totally with you on that. I have strong background and experience in mechanical engineering. I worked for European companies mostly like ASML, Halliburton, Siemens, and much more. I feel comfortable about applying to jobs there once this is taken care. Sadly, I can't leave this in the middle and flee because Bail bond is under my ex Wife name and I want to leave her with enough resources for my daughter's bright future.
How do you like living in France and what made you move there?

@maytayah
I feel comfortable now that I can easily work in the Europe as there is high demand for mechanical engineers there. If not, I don't mind moving to Middle east or Asia where I can make similar amount of money and support my family from there.

Thank you so much for everyone for their input.

I was thinking to start learning German now as It will be very useful in the future for my career and German/Europe immigration purpose. I Speak 5 languages already and can easily settle down in the middle east or Asia.

I liked US when I moved here but laws are getting strict and strict every year and making it hard for recreational people to freely enjoy their life. Atleast in German/Europe, I will have some freedom and benefits from my taxes.

For now, I am trying to stay clean and out of trouble till there is a conclusion from these cases. I can always use some advice and suggestion.

What are good ways to find jobs or recruiters in europe?
The Following User Says Thank You to Reeaslam For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeaslam View Post
I was recently charged with two State Felonies and one Second degree State felony case which are related to Drug Delivery in Texas. These cases are from one arrest which was complete Police setup. I have a Mechanical Engineer with skilled background and higher education. Currently I hold Green Card Permanent residency exp 2026 with Pakistani passport.

I have no idea how my court and cases are going to go. In the best case scenario, I can be on probation if convicted of these felonies or Worst case to be in the jail for a while.

It will be very difficult to find another job with felon record as a Mechanical Engineer so Best option for me is to move to another country and pursue my education and professional career. I always wanted to move to Germany and Europe countries, or even middle east with my Petroleum experience.

what countries can take a felon like me to start a new life and continue my life as skilled worker? Considering that I am Pakistani national who hold 10 year Green Card Permanent residency.

Your green card will most certainly be revoked if you get a felony conviction for a drug crime, and this includes pleading guilty to a lesser charge, if that lesser charge is also a felony. If it is a misdemeanor, there is a chance that an immigration lawyer could successfully argue for you to keep your green card.
Deportation proceedings will start after you complete your sentence, whether that is prison time plus fines or probation plus fines.
As another commenter said, your plan to immigrate to Europe will have to be from Pakistan to Europe, after deportation to your home country.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:11 PM

So you have a previous felony AND two new felonies? I would start packing your bags. I don't think the U.S. is the place for you. I wish you the best.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:53 PM

Why dont you try and do a Masters in Germany? that might be a good option, but youd need to talk to the consulate first tho about that record. Its only 1.5 yrs, you could work part time in the meantime, and then after you graduate they give you 18 months to get an actual engineering job. Then you can get a residents permit.
The Following User Says Thank You to angel7919 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-01-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Reeaslam87

@AZski
I totally agree with everything you said. That's what my fear is. I don't want to get deported. I rather take volunteer deportation and wrap things in US before I leave. But it's really unpredictable as are they going to deport me after felony court decision or beginning of probation or end of probation?
My ideal situation is to take probation and avoid jail time as much as possible. I love your idea to reduce the felony to misdemeanor but it only happens in the rare cases. I am already taking MRT, drug offender classes, and doing community service so that my lawyer can show the judge that I am doing good and avoid jail time (Fingers crossed). I have to involve immigration lawyer into all this and find a perfect path to smoothly move to another country where I can continue my professional career and support my family.

@priceam
I really want to pack my bags and start moving somewhere else. But sadly I cant leave these cases in the middle because my ex wife did all the bail and these cases can result into big arrest which could ban my entrance into other countries associated with US. It's also my fear that If I leave the country with existing warrant, Germany and US associated countries can arrest me and bring me back to US for punishment/judgement.

@angel7919
I have no problem finding a job or move to Germany for master education. But narcotics or drug related felony could be an issues when entering Germany. I am visiting German consulate soon to determine my choices.

Thank you all.
Here's another note. I don't mind moving to UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and other middle east countries where my record doesn't make a difference and I can make a good living there. That will be my ultimate safe spot to continue my career and education.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:17 AM

Despite of what all are telling you with a "time served" behind your name officially you are not welcome in Europe. You will need a visa and then you can stay 3 months. Perhaps if you come in from Pakistan they will be more friendly but I know American citizens with a felony charge can't stay. Sorry to burst your bubble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raf's Girl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-13-2017), MizzyMuffling (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 AM

I know the question is about working and immigration but my concern as a potential employer anywhere would be why is someone with an excellent education and good job involved in the drug trade..a previous case and now an alleged " set up" would concern me a lot. I don't know that I would go through the process of sponsoring someone with this background in order to have them work for me. When you go through the immigration process for work it delays your availability and costs money ..in my opinion you would have to have skills that are extremely specialized in order to make someone go to that process ..particularly if you are ultimately convicted. Can you work in your home country? That may be your only option ..
The Following User Says Thank You to cljinct For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:18 AM
Reeaslam87

@Raf's Girl
Thank you for the reply. Moving back to Pakistan and applying to different countries/Europe will be the last choice. It's ideal to move from US to Europe as my pay scale will be higher. Another reason to move to Europe is to Gain german passport eventually so I can have the freedom to travel anywhere in the world beside US. There is a high deficiency of skilled and experienced Mechanical Engineers in Germany so I feel that I can make the best out of my education and experience there.

@Cljinct
I totally understand your prospective as a potential Employer anywhere where they can find my US record. But I am used to western lifestyle and it will be difficult for me to start my life again in Pakistan. Also the Pay will be lower compared to what I am making currently. I need to support my daughter and ex Wife who will be living in Texas. So I want to make enough money to provide resourceful future for my daughter.

Thank you people again for all the support.
I am going to renew my Pakistani Passport in a case I need to leave the country, also start looking into jobs in Germany and Middle east or east Singapore. I understand that I made some bad choices but I have to figure this out and make the best out of the current situation. All my family reside in Pakistan so I wouldn't mind living closer to family as long as I can make good amount of money. In the worst case scenario, I can always move to Middle east and make decent living but I will be limited to expand my education, personal adventures, and career in other countries.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reeaslam For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:48 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,023 Times in 984 Posts

It's all dandy and swell but do you even speak German?
I'm German and I live in Germany and as you might have heard on the news we've accepted a huge amount of refugees but the first thing they need to do is learn the language. No chance for any job not speaking the German language.
Yeah...most of us are bi-langual or at least have basic knowlege of English but that doesn't help you much.
My BF would love to come and live with me after his release but he has basic knowledge of the German language already and is learning more plus he has a PhD.
Plus: with letting so many refugees in over the past years, good luck finding a "good paying job" and even getting a German passport.
None is handing those out just because ... and with a record which will surely come up it might be even more difficult.
Don't make the mistake of thinking Germany is a land of milk and honey... check out the unemployment data, how much apartments costs, etc..

I'm with Raf's Girl in this... you are a felon and you'll only have limited time of tourist visa if at all. You'd have to leave after 3 months or disappear and be undocumented but then finding "a good paying job" will be even more difficult. Spare yourself the illusion.

Last edited by MizzyMuffling; 11-14-2017 at 02:41 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MizzyMuffling For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-14-2017), Raf's Girl (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 04:14 AM

Reeaslam you need to forget about Singapore as well my dear. They don't want you with your drugs conviction. Sorry we might sound harsh but you better build up a life in Pakistan and get a job there and perhaps they will send you out. For now that is the only wayI do see you work somewhere in Europe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raf's Girl For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 AM

I think another problem you face is that even if the employers accept you ..most countries will check your background prior to issuing a visa. I am Canadian living in the USA for many years and I know both of those countries do extensive background checks. I understand your concerns about supporting your family but I'm wondering if you have a substance abuse problem and if you do I would be seeking treatment to improve my life. Clearly you are smart and educated but something is clouding your judgement. Treatment would also be a positive in court and with prospective employers. That said your ex wife may have to learn to live on less mo net or get a job because as we all know things can get better but there are consequences for bad choices. I hope things work out for you but I would encourage you to have an alternate plan ..at least for a while.