Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 PM

Just out of curiosity: would you support strip searches in the regular (non-prison) workplace as well? Sorry, but the example below is just too good.

It's not a rhetorical question. Recently (in 2016), a former Royal Canadian Mint employee was found guilty of smuggling $190K (probably in Canadian dollars, though) of gold in his rectum. He was not caught in the act but he was reported by his bank after he sold the gold and tried to deposit the cheques.

It may start this way, then eventually other employers may find a reason why searches are supposedly justified in their workplace too. Before we know it, this could become as common as background checks.

In my humble opinion, it doesn't have to be part of serving time, or working, or of anything else, and it was not always part of it. We get whatever the society is willing to accept, although individual members are indeed powerless if the society at large accepts it.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,029 Times in 5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisonlady View Post
Just out of curiosity: would you support strip searches in the regular (non-prison) workplace as well? Sorry, but the example below is just too good.

It's not a rhetorical question. Recently (in 2016), a former Royal Canadian Mint employee was found guilty of smuggling $190K (probably in Canadian dollars, though) of gold in his rectum. He was not caught in the act but he was reported by his bank after he sold the gold and tried to deposit the cheques.

It may start this way, then eventually other employers may find a reason why searches are supposedly justified in their workplace too. Before we know it, this could become as common as background checks.

In my humble opinion, it doesn't have to be part of serving time, or working, or of anything else, and it was not always part of it. We get whatever the society is willing to accept, although individual members are indeed powerless if the society at large accepts it.
No, I wouldn't suggest that stripping out mint employees on a regular basis be something we see as normal. But again, cheeking some coins is a far cry from the direct threat a weapon carries. I get your point, but honestly...prison isn't your standard work environment.

This is becoming an ethics argument when the OP was asking how to get around, or out, of a current standard operation. The response is, you don't. We can debate the practicality of it elsewhere, but none of that is going to help the OP at this stage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
chris idoc (02-16-2017), patchouli (02-17-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:24 AM

It's over in a flash, and in thought it's lacking dignity. But, there are people who have no qualms having unsheathed razorblades, with a tampon like string, or pieces of weapons in their cavities. This is a danger to YOU and everyone else. And no touching, that (in NY) would only be done Medical staff.And NO ONE likes performing it, it's a job that feeds your kids.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,763 Times in 10,129 Posts

You can choose the hard way, or the easier one by complying. You will eventually do whatever the staff wants you to do, one way or another.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:30 AM

You're gonna hate group shower time
The Following User Says Thank You to WBGStrap For This Useful Post:
Texasflower08 (03-01-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,461 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
At what point do they start? I was under the impression that my friend started getting them when he was still in local lockup.
Yes you get striped search during booking in to the county jail. Anytime you are in custody you are subject to being striped searched
Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisonlady View Post

This is SO far-fetched! In that sort of situation a metal detector or x-ray scan would be appropriate given it's a government organization. Heck, even employees of the IRS are not allowed to bring in their cell phones for security reasons. You are reaching to make some correlation to the possibility of this being standard workplace procedure.

We are talking about prison here...and a security measure for staff and fellow inmates. Stop trying to make this more than it is.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cmh1013 For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-17-2017), Critter07 (02-27-2017), fiat_nox (02-17-2017), maytayah (02-17-2017), SadTodd (02-28-2017), safran (02-17-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh1013 View Post
This is SO far-fetched! In that sort of situation a metal detector or x-ray scan would be appropriate given it's a government organization. Heck, even employees of the IRS are not allowed to bring in their cell phones for security reasons. You are reaching to make some correlation to the possibility of this being standard workplace procedure.

We are talking about prison here...and a security measure for staff and fellow inmates. Stop trying to make this more than it is.
And the prison staff are responsible for the safety of all prisoners. If someone's LO or family member gets their throat cut because their cell mate didn't get properly searched and brought in a razor they're not going to be happy about lax security.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob-C For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 AM

I didn't want to say anything about this any more because it's a little off topic, but since one of you said that a metal detector or x-ray scan would have been appropriate at the workplace in question, let me quote this from an article about him. He was sentenced in February and got 30 months, by the way.

Royal mint worker who smuggled $165K worth of gold gets 30 months in prison

"Lawrence set off the metal detector more often than any other mint employee without metal implants, Doody [the judge] said in his ruling. But follow-up searches with hand wands never discovered the smuggled gold hidden in his body cavity."

Read the entire article HERE.

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 02-17-2017 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Old 02-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,607 Times in 817 Posts

But they aren't just talking about metal. They are talking about large quantities of drugs, weapons (metal and otherwise) and who knows what else. My husband goes through metal detectors numerous times every day so they are in place as well.

This has gotten ridiculous. Well it was from the start so....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sinir.Fridyrr For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-17-2017), safran (02-19-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,495 Posts

And the guy who brought this ill-thought plan up has not returned to read our wise advice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-20-2017), fbopnomore (02-18-2017), OnlyInTexas (02-28-2017), sidewalker (02-18-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (02-17-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 04:48 PM

Everybody goes through strip searches. Good luck with your unrealistic, fantasyland plans on avoiding the inevitable. You’re going to make yourself a hi-visibility target that all the CO’s are going to just love tormenting.

Last edited by Combs; 02-18-2017 at 04:51 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-20-2017), safran (02-18-2017), sidewalker (02-19-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (02-18-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
And the guy who brought this ill-thought plan up has not returned to read our wise advice.
At least not using the same name.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
At least not using the same name.
Very good point.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:30 PM

Don't cause anxiety over things you cannot control. I can tell you from experience, the things you were most worried about turn out to be absolutely nothing. After a month or two it becomes normal and you simply do not care. You need to portray an attitude that you don't care. You do not want to stick out anymore than you have to.

Last edited by Juicebox2; 02-20-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
Very good point.
It was nice to see that people went ahead and gave good advice so that whether the op was real or not, there's some good advice there for anyone who might end up needing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob-C For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (02-22-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 PM

it may not be what you wanted to hear, but the advice given in this thread has been realistic, which is the most valuable advice you can receive when headed to prison. I spent eight years in federal prison, strip searches were quick and done with great disinterest by staff members. The only time they occurred were upon arrival and for visits. Staff members are bound by policy, many of which do not rank high on their list of favorite things to do.

The key to making the best of bad situation is to be respectful of both staff members and other prisoners while there. I hope you keep seeking good counsel prior to going in, and are able to pivot to preparing to make the best of your time while incarcerated. There are some very good posts on PTO about good planning steps to take prior to going in. Thanks for reaching out to the community! I learned a great deal from this site prior to serving my own sentence that made my life MUCH easier once it came time to serve my sentence.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Free At Last 5 For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (02-27-2017), fbopnomore (02-21-2017), maytayah (02-21-2017), sidewalker (03-01-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM

How long are you in there? Hopefully it will go quick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateprison View Post
Hello, I am a 27 year old male headed to state prison and am terrified of strip searches. I simply can't imagine "bending over and spread'em" and I refuse to subject myself to such humiliation.

I have been thinking about the issue and have devised several strategies that I believe may allow me to avoid the ordeal. Please advise if anyone has had any success in executing these strategies.

First, rather than be forced to undergo a strip search, I am willing to offer to undergo an x-ray/MRI. I would be willing to pay any fees/expenses pertaining to such procedures, so I do not believe that the prison authorities would have any basis to object. Has anyone had any success in asserting this? I do have the means to pay for these procedures, so I frankly do not see how the authorities will have grounds for refusing my request.

Also, to the extent that they refuse to allow me to go the x-ray/MRI route, I believe that I have a Constitutional right to Privacy, and I intend to assert such right. Has anyone had such success in doing so? If that fails, then I have a First Amendment right to practice my religion, and my religion prizes modesty and forbids exposing my naked genitals/buttocks to strangers for the purposes of strip searches. I believe that the Supreme Court would protect my First Amendment rights, and I am more than willing to take my case to the Supreme Court. In such circumstances, would the Authorities require me to undergo the strip search? I am especially hopeful because of the nomination to the Supreme Court of Neil Gorsuch, who is a huge proponent of religious Liberty.

To the extent that I refuse, would there be any consequences? And given that I would be asserting my Constitutional Rights, wouldn't the Authorities have to suspend enforcement of the strip search pending the Supreme Court's decision?

Thanks for any insight into this matter. If anyone has any other ideas on how to avoid strip searches (especially bending over and spreading 'em), it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 PM

If the OP ever comes back, or if some future visitor to this thread would like starting points for legal research, start at page 4 of http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions...-60231-CV0.pdf

It has a list of precedents that bear on the reasonableness and permissibility of strip searches.

Looking at them is not legal research and does not prepare anyone to start a court fight.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,029 Times in 5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post
I doubt any prison in the country has an MRI scanner. They're extremely expensive and so are staff radiologists and technicians. X-rays produce ionizing radiation. Any dose is potentially damaging. Heavy doses destroy tissue and can lead to cancer and other unpleasantness. Do "Hiroshima" and "Nagasaki" ring a bell?
Well...on that note, CDCR is installing more low-dose xray equipment (note I said more because they're already using it) for inmates to pass through on their way in and out of units.

The latest in my husband's facility is between their block and certain areas of employment and education. In order to to go work or school, they would pass through it twice a day 4-5 days a week.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 AM

I think it's kind of funny for someone to assume they can avoid that while being locked up. I've never been to prison but you have to do what you do in that situation.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Well...on that note, CDCR is installing more low-dose xray equipment (note I said more because they're already using it) for inmates to pass through on their way in and out of units.

The latest in my husband's facility is between their block and certain areas of employment and education. In order to to go work or school, they would pass through it twice a day 4-5 days a week.

"Low dose" doesn't mean safe. Any dose of ionizing radiation is potentially harmful and exposure is cumulative. A dose of under 100 rad will typically produce no immediate symptoms other than blood changes. 100 to 200 rad delivered to the entire body in less than a day may cause acute radiation syndrome, (ARS) but is usually not fatal. Doses of 200 to 1,000 rad delivered in a few hours will cause serious illness with poor outlook at the upper end of the range. Whole body doses of more than 1,000 rad are almost invariably fatal. Radiation increases the risk of cancer and other stochastic effects at any dose.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 AM

I am a terrible person but this thread still makes me chuckle.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (03-18-2017), Foodie Foodnerd (08-15-2017), joybubby (03-10-2017), K6770 (03-18-2017), Scott (03-05-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (03-28-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceam View Post
Welcome to the club!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
priceam (03-01-2017), Scott (03-05-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (03-28-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceam View Post
this whole thing made me laugh.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texasflower08 For This Useful Post:
priceam (03-01-2017), Scott (03-05-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (03-28-2017)