Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Default When do you actually report to prison?

I am in PA and currently out on bail. I have been charged with an SO felony . My formal arraignment is set for 6/3o and trial 9/13. If I plead guilty, when do I actually report to prison? Is it the same day of the pretrial conference or at the trial or at sentencing?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed99 View Post
I am in PA and currently out on bail. I have been charged with an SO felony . My formal arraignment is set for 6/3o and trial 9/13. If I plead guilty, when do I actually report to prison? Is it the same day of the pretrial conference or at the trial or at sentencing?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I don't know about PA but in Georgia as soon as you take a plea or are sentenced, they usually take you immediately into custody from there. My son was allowed out on bond until he took a plea. At his 1st arraignment they set the bond & then it was 2 years til the DA was ready to go to trial. That's when the dealing started. As soon as he agreed to the plea, they had a hearing a week later & the judge accepted the plea. From there he was taken into custody. They kept him at the county jail for 42 days til he was transferred to the DOC. From there he went to a diagnostic center for evaluation & was there almost 2 months. Then they assigned him to his permanent location. The good thing is that his time in county was credited towards his sentence.

So be prepared to go off the day of the plea. If you go to trial they may allow you out on bail til the sentencing part if you're found guilty. I would start getting my affairs set up just in case you go sooner than you expect.

Good luck!!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,510 Times in 11,447 Posts

Ask your lawyer what to expect from that judge, and court.

A delay between changing your plea and a remand to custody is possible because of presentence investigation reports. Some judges make you start serving your eventual sentence immediately, while others allow you to remain out on bond or bail. In some cases you might even remain out of prison after sentencing, until the DOC notifies you when and where to "self surrender", but that is much less likely.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:40 PM

If you are not taken in to custody once you enter your plea then the courts will surely let you know when/where to report. They will also happily make you sufficiently aware of the consequences of not showing up on the date you are supposed to.
Not sure about state but when I entered my guilty plea in federal court I was immediately taken in to custody. I will say the magistrate handling my case to that point was fair in that she let me have 3 weeks to get my stuff in order before entering my guilty plea. I wish she could have handled my sentencing as well. She seemed sympathetic to my circumstances.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheets1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-08-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 11:50 AM

US is a free society you can actually report to jail. In China if you are sentenced to jail or likely to receive a prison sentence usually after court you will be remanded in custody immediately without any chance of bail.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
US is a free society you can actually report to jail. In China if you are sentenced to jail or likely to receive a prison sentence usually after court you will be remanded in custody immediately without any chance of bail.
For most people it's up to the judge. They will look at what you've been doing in the time since arrest to the time of sentencing and if they see from the probation report that you're not progressing then they mostly will just take remand you in court.