Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Visiting Central Unit, Florence, coming from UK

Hi
In April I'll be visiting a friend at Central Unit, Florence. He's on death row but is phase 3 so is allowed contact visits. This will be my very first time visiting and I'm coming from the UK.

I'm coming up against a few problems that I hope someone can help me with. I've read the documents about dress code but I still have questions. Am I allowed to wear mid-calf leggings? Can I have a tattoo showing? Should I take out my eyebrow piercing? Also I am allowed a wedding and engagement ring? I'm also concerned about earrings. I basically don't want to be turned away.

I also have another issue - I don't drive though I am learning here in the UK. I'll be getting an Uber to the prison but I'm really worried about where I can leave a small bag with my phone in so I can get back to where I'm staying. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My friend is applying for a special visitation on a legal day to give us an extra day visiting.

Sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone that could offer advice.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,953 Times in 4,556 Posts

Hi there , I dont know much about visiting in Arizona but I do visit my husband in prison in Colorado and I am in the UK.
I would follow the dress code , leggings are not normally allowed as they are tight fitting. Its best to be safe and dress very conservatory especially as you won't have a car and you wont be able to go back to your car and change if you are refused.
If you get an uber to the prison make sure you arrive on time and not early as most prisons do not allow you to wait for long periods on the grounds there is noemally a time to arrive and line up.

Here are the visit rules
https://corrections.az.gov/sites/def...res_031913.pdf

It looks like you can wear a wedding and engagement ring. The piercingmay trip the metal detector if you cant take it out.

I would ring the prison and ask about lockers as if there no lockers you wont be able to take a phone and bag into visiting. The visiting officers are the best people to answer your questions.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 PM
here

Earrings are allowed, one set only. And if I'm remembering right it's one visible piercing. But for safety's sake, I would take out the brow. If you're really worried, leave it all behind. tripping the metal detectors his a hit and miss things and some places will not let you is it for it. So that means find a bra with no underwire too.

I know you can wear a wedding or an engagement, not sure about both. And I have to take mine off to clear the metal detectors.

Visible tats are fine, as long as they're not going to be classified as "controversial". Pass on the leggings.

Don't wear any tan/khaki, orange not even small bits like trim.

Some units have lockers, some don't so you'll have to call and ask about that one. (I don't know if Central does or not). If they don't, explain our situation and see what they would recommend.

And as much as it sucks, keep in mind that being death row means they're going to be more strict about things.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, ask away.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-22-2019), maytayah (02-22-2019), patchouli (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM

Thank you for all of the advice. I will make sure I dress conservatively. Thank you for the advice on clothing - especially the bra which I hadn't even considered. I heard today there is a problem. I was granted visitation and passed all background checks on 25 Jan but the visitation has told my friend I'm not authorised. He is going to get the information in print to give the visitation officer but I'm they will cause problems.

My friend has also asked about if I could leave a very small bag somewhere but the officers have said no. I have asked and they have said no. I'm worried about that too as I'll have no money on me, no phone and if I get stuck I'll be in a totally different country and not know anyone or have any way to contact someone. I wish I drove! I'm aware his friend's wife is visiting over the same time but its been impossible to make contact with her. I'm so worried.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Hi there , your first issue is to find out why you are not authorised and see if you can appeal. If you are not authorised you will not be allowed to visit even if you turn up having traveled from the UK. It maybe something you can appeal by submitting more information if required or writing directly to the warden.

If there are no lockers they will not let you leave a bag or phone. It maybe possible to get a car share then you can leave your bag in the car with maybe a change of clothes.

I hope you can get your visiting approval sorted.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Hi, the thing is I am authorised, it went through on 25 Jan. The visitation officer keeps saying I'm not even though on their system I am. My friend has double checked and I checked with the prison. I think the officer is just being awkward.

A car share would be a brilliant idea but I've no idea how to go about even finding one.

Thank you for all your help.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:55 PM

You are either approved or you are not. How do you know your authorisation went through on the 25th January? Do you have paperwork? Who are you double checking with? I would make 100% sure you can visit before you travel.

You can post for a car share on the Arizona forum on here.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Hi. I will definitely double check. I rang the number on the form for the visitation and also emailed the visitation liaison and they confirmed it. They said I would get no paperwork. I won't be taking any chances and shall be ringing next week.

Thanks i will post for a car share.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket_Queen For This Useful Post:
maytayah (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Just a little update, I forgot the time difference for a min when I wrote that post and I've just called them. I'm definitely approved. The officer was very helpful actually and gave me loads of advice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocket_Queen For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-22-2019), maytayah (02-22-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Earrings are allowed, one set only. And if I'm remembering right it's one visible piercing. But for safety's sake, I would take out the brow. If you're really worried, leave it all behind. tripping the metal detectors his a hit and miss things and some places will not let you is it for it. So that means find a bra with no underwire too.

I know you can wear a wedding or an engagement, not sure about both. And I have to take mine off to clear the metal detectors.

Visible tats are fine, as long as they're not going to be classified as "controversial". Pass on the leggings.

Don't wear any tan/khaki, orange not even small bits like trim.

Some units have lockers, some don't so you'll have to call and ask about that one. (I don't know if Central does or not). If they don't, explain our situation and see what they would recommend.

And as much as it sucks, keep in mind that being death row means they're going to be more strict about things.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, ask away.
Can I ask is a non wired bra ok or should I try to find one with no fastening at all? Thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 06:46 PM
here

A bra without underwire should be fine. I've never had issues with mine like that. I have heard stores that sometime the hooks can set it off, if they're metal, and the machine is extra sensitive that time.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM

When it talks about watches , are apple watches allowed?
Old 02-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,624 Times in 622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Queen View Post
Can I ask is a non wired bra ok or should I try to find one with no fastening at all? Thanks
I don't know about that unit specifically. I know that metal hooks, no underwire, set off both units at Kingman and I had to but one that I slip on an off with plastic slides on the strap.

My LO is now at the Tucson unit and I just haven't taken any chances, because they don't give you the opportunity to change, and I wear the no metal anywhere bra (which I hate).
Old 02-27-2019, 04:07 PM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
When it talks about watches , are apple watches allowed?
No. Not fit bits or any other smart tech is allowed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
jordan321 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:09 PM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
I don't know about that unit specifically. I know that metal hooks, no underwire, set off both units at Kingman and I had to but one that I slip on an off with plastic slides on the strap.

My LO is now at the Tucson unit and I just haven't taken any chances, because they don't give you the opportunity to change, and I wear the no metal anywhere bra (which I hate).
I do the same thing. Wear as little, to no metal as possible. I am at a unit where I can go change, but it's just too big a hassle when I can go without. Not to mention holding up the line for everyone behind me, which is annoying when you're the one in that line.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:59 AM

Thank you so much for all of the help so far. I'm trying to get this right as I wont be able to go and change. So now I'm wondering about trousers - I was thinking about black palazzo trousers with no pockets.