Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Oregon.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 AM

Default Anyone have a loved one incarcerated At Two Rivers Correctional?

Hi Iím new to all this , Iím currently in a relationship with an inmate at trci, this situation is all new to me , itís a bit daughting and worrying when thereís silence ect and im learning how to deal with all the things that comes with having a relationship with an inmate. Iím just looking to find others with loved ones at this prison that I can talk to and keep connected with as I donít know anyone else who is in a similar situation. Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but like I said Iím new to all this so have no idea what Iím doing. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2017, 07:42 AM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 892 Posts

I had a friend housed at TRCI, its not bad. I stayed at the Umatilla Inn 60 something a night because they gave me a discount for visiting the prison. It was not the best place to stay but 10 mins away.

When you get to the prison, you wait outside, they let you in half hour before hand. You check in and take a number, get a key for the locker, go through the detecter, they take you to the visiting room where your imate is usually waiting for you, if not they come in shortly after.

Be careful and not wear any underwire bras, tight fitting clothes. I had a lady that had to go to Warmart and buy a jog bra to get back in. Take extra clothing just in case. Be sure and read the visiting rules listed on the DOC website for TRCI.

I hope you have good visits.

Being new to the incarceration train is difficult but just remember, if you don't hear from him, there is a good reason, usually lock down.
GingerM (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 AM

Smile

Thank you so much for your reply
Old 10-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,813 Times in 3,071 Posts

I know a couple of people who either are still there or spent some of their time there. It's not a bad place to be, as prisons go.

The lag in communication definitely takes some getting used to. No instant texts messages, no being able to call them - it's rough, but you do eventually get used to it. And you get used to not hearing when you think you should. It usually means the phones are down or they're locked down (at least at TRCI, they can lock down one unit instead of having to lock the whole place down), or some other institutional thing is going on. Sometimes the lines for the phones are just really long (like Mother's Day!).

If he has an mp3 player and can do email, that's pretty fast so far as communication goes, though you're limited on the number of characters you/he can put in an email. And his screen is super small. You register through GettingOut.com. He has to use your credits to send emails. It works well with folks who can routinely get to a kiosk, but if he's got a good job, it's probable that he'd have difficulty getting to a kiosk (assuming they're working).

I find short messages/letters get to the inmate faster than long ones, so often send a short message on a blank card. Since you're in the UK, the time it spends in the mail could get a little long though.

You might want to try the mp3/email thing out and see if it works for you.

Feel free to ask any questions you have. We may not have all the answers, but we can probably answer a fair number of questions. All of us were new to the system at one point, so we've all been where you are now.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM

My guy has been there in the past. His stay with the Oregon DOC he just finished was OSP then Santiam. You may not find specific people on here from two rivers, but there are some Oregonians for sure on here. Welcome to the group. Were you all pen pals? Does he have a long sentence?
Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I know a couple of people who either are still there or spent some of their time there. It's not a bad place to be, as prisons go.

The lag in communication definitely takes some getting used to. No instant texts messages, no being able to call them - it's rough, but you do eventually get used to it. And you get used to not hearing when you think you should. It usually means the phones are down or they're locked down (at least at TRCI, they can lock down one unit instead of having to lock the whole place down), or some other institutional thing is going on. Sometimes the lines for the phones are just really long (like Mother's Day!).

If he has an mp3 player and can do email, that's pretty fast so far as communication goes, though you're limited on the number of characters you/he can put in an email. And his screen is super small. You register through GettingOut.com. He has to use your credits to send emails. It works well with folks who can routinely get to a kiosk, but if he's got a good job, it's probable that he'd have difficulty getting to a kiosk (assuming they're working).

I find short messages/letters get to the inmate faster than long ones, so often send a short message on a blank card. Since you're in the UK, the time it spends in the mail could get a little long though.

You might want to try the mp3/email thing out and see if it works for you.

Feel free to ask any questions you have. We may not have all the answers, but we can probably answer a fair number of questions. All of us were new to the system at one point, so we've all been where you are now.
Thank you yes the lack in communication definitely is getting to me at the moment , he has a good job in there and he says thatís the main reason he has trouble but because we had regular communication at the start via emails and messages my friends all reckon he is using those silent days to communicate with other girls which worries me. Thank u so much for your reply
Old 10-05-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
My guy has been there in the past. His stay with the Oregon DOC he just finished was OSP then Santiam. You may not find specific people on here from two rivers, but there are some Oregonians for sure on here. Welcome to the group. Were you all pen pals? Does he have a long sentence?
Hi thank you , yes we started off as penpals about 5 months ago and although it was never my intentions to get involved it just happens over time , he has a long sentence left just over 20 years left ( which is hard ) I think the hardest thing is others opinions because we emailed so regularly at the start and now itís like a phone call then a day of silence all my friends think he is using those silent days to talk to other women but he does have a job in there keeping him busy, itís just all so new and slightly worrying at the minute lol. Thank u for your reply
Old 10-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

I can see why your friends are concerned.

I will say that daily phone calls add up over time. The cost alone may have forced him to back off a bit. If you're doing email by phone, that also costs him. If you're doing it through the mp3/kiosk system, that only costs you, not him, but he still has to find a functioning kiosk to plug into.

Something to be aware of: not all people in prison are nice or play by societally accepted rules. Some of them are con men, some are scammers, some are players. Not all, mind you, but some. At 5 months of correspondence, there's no way to know.

I have pen pals that I've been corresponding with for over 3 years now. None of them ask for money or anything else. If you're putting money on his books, that may be his reason for wanting to string you along. If you're not, then he may not be able to afford the frequency of communication that he started with.

There is, unfortunately, no way of knowing. Please be careful with both your heart and your wallet.

Last edited by GingerM; 10-05-2017 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: spelling before 5am
Old 10-05-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I can see why your friends are concerned.

I will say that daily phone calls add up over time. The cost alone may have forced him to back off a bit. If you're doing email by phone, that also costs him. If you're doing it through the mp3/kiosk system, that only costs you, not him, but he still has to find a functioning kiosk to plug into.

Something to be aware of: not all people in prison are nice or play by societally accepted rules. Some of them are con men, some are scammers, some are players. Not all, mind you, but some. At 5 months of correspondence, there's no way to know.

I have pen pals that I've been corresponding with for over 3 years now. None of them ask for money or anything else. If you're putting money on his books, that may be his reason for wanting to string you along. If you're not, then he may not be able to afford the frequency of communication that he started with.

There is, unfortunately, no way of knowing. Please be careful with both your heart and your wallet.
Thank you for your reply, i donít give him any money and he has never asked but i do have money on my account for phone calls so he doesnít have to pay for them but he can only call me using that money, it could just be because of work as he trains dogs in there, I hope thatís the case and not that Iím being played . Thank you Iíll be careful
Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy1983 View Post
Thank you for your reply, i donít give him any money and he has never asked but i do have money on my account for phone calls so he doesnít have to pay for them but he can only call me using that money, it could just be because of work as he trains dogs in there, I hope thatís the case and not that Iím being played . Thank you Iíll be careful
Training dogs is a full time, 24-hour/day job! He's got a lot on his plate!

Since you're not sending him money, and the only person he can call is you, I doubt he's playing you. It wouldn't make any sense to play someone unless they can get something from you (though I have heard that some guys like to string along as many females as they can as kind of a "who can collect the most" type game).

As long as you have your eyes open, that's the best you can do. But again, training dogs, especially when they get a new dog in, is a 24-hour/day job. He won't have much free time. The dogs live with the inmates and the inmates are responsible for them all day, every day (just like having a dog at home).

To your initial question though - TRCI is not a bad place to land if one has to spend time as a guest of the state of Oregon. All Oregon prisons have issues with phones not working, not enough working phones for the number of people who want to make calls, not enough working kiosks, etc. There are many, many perfectly reasonable, benign reasons that he may not be contacting you as frequently as he had been.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:26 PM

I wouldn't think by what you say he is taking advantage of you. We only mailed and messages each other and talked once a month on the phone. Mine likes to do his time in there present in his environment. He has a hard time living inside and trying to have a life outside and finds it distracting. It's not how or how often you communicate that is important. What's important is that you communicate honestly with each other. There are guys in there that do use women as a hustle while they are in prison, so be cautious. Mine proved his loyalty and honesty before he got out. There are many threads that you can read about signs to look for if your worried you are being used. I wish you the best, I'm sure he is very grateful to have you on his side!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
GingerM (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Training dogs is a full time, 24-hour/day job! He's got a lot on his plate!

Since you're not sending him money, and the only person he can call is you, I doubt he's playing you. It wouldn't make any sense to play someone unless they can get something from you (though I have heard that some guys like to string along as many females as they can as kind of a "who can collect the most" type game).

As long as you have your eyes open, that's the best you can do. But again, training dogs, especially when they get a new dog in, is a 24-hour/day job. He won't have much free time. The dogs live with the inmates and the inmates are responsible for them all day, every day (just like having a dog at home).

To your initial question though - TRCI is not a bad place to land if one has to spend time as a guest of the state of Oregon. All Oregon prisons have issues with phones not working, not enough working phones for the number of people who want to make calls, not enough working kiosks, etc. There are many, many perfectly reasonable, benign reasons that he may not be contacting you as frequently as he had been.
Thank you, I think I need to stop worrying and just see how things go itís like you said he has a lot on his plate with his job and if something else is thrown into the mix for example being called back to cells early ( which has happend ) then thatís going to make it harder for him I just need to try and be more understanding really but itís juat hard as itís all new I wouldnít have doubts if it was like this from the beginning but Iíve always known he works a lot he has always had his dog training from the beginning when we first started speaking and he managed to keep in almost daily contact then even 30 min phone calls almost daily but you are right there could be a number of reasons. Thank you so much for your replies I appreciate them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy1983 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
I wouldn't think by what you say he is taking advantage of you. We only mailed and messages each other and talked once a month on the phone. Mine likes to do his time in there present in his environment. He has a hard time living inside and trying to have a life outside and finds it distracting. It's not how or how often you communicate that is important. What's important is that you communicate honestly with each other. There are guys in there that do use women as a hustle while they are in prison, so be cautious. Mine proved his loyalty and honesty before he got out. There are many threads that you can read about signs to look for if your worried you are being used. I wish you the best, I'm sure he is very grateful to have you on his side!
Thank you I just need to be a bit more understanding of his situation and that will all come in time I guess itís still all new to me but thank u so much for your replies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy1983 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

It definitely takes some getting used to. It took me a year to be mostly comfortable with the situation, but even at 6 years from when my Dad first entered the system, there are still some frustrations. And I have no romantic entanglements inside - just friends of my Dad's who I promised to stay in touch with. I hear from each of them with varying frequency, from several times/week to every 2 - 3 months. But they know I'm here for them. I get really frustrated when their mail is held up (I got one of my Dad's letters over a year after he died - no joke - that was a tough one) so that, for instance, one sent me a letter recently that said he didn't have room for more books. I got it the day after I sent him a card telling him that 6 books were on the way. *sigh*

It is what it is, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:50 AM

Hello
My boyfriend is in TRCI too he's Unit 14
Greetings
The Following User Says Thank You to Secret1101 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-27-2018)