Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,946 Times in 7,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
That doesn’t explain why a prison would continue to use a system if they feel like it doesn’t work.... and once the initial investment is made, no one is continuing to make money from them.
I understand.
Why DOCs continue to implement them (pull them and then reinstate at a later date) is beyond me, as well. Unless, and perhaps this is why Bobble feels I'm making a nod toward conspiracy, someone is making money off of it and helping to promote the purchase.

Let's assume Sec of Corrections Smith is a stakeholder in Company SCAMMER. SCAMMER creates a device to detect drugs coming into the prisons. It works, but poorly.

Let's make it clear that the swabs detect residue on whatever surface they chose to test, not all facilities only swab hands. If someone were to stash a bindle on or in their person and then follow a clean routine, they've beat the scanner. If someone were to borrow their friend's car and not clean it meticulously before driving into the prison and they swab her belt which rubbed the car seat and it's positive for cocaine, she's guilty?

But Sec Smith has an incentive to push the budget and security committees to purchase and implement the devices because at the end of the day-- it doesn't matter if they work or if they remain for long, his stock went up.

It happens. And with the scanners having such terrible track records in the feds and no publishing, at least from our state, of the success rate of scanners...I would love to know why this keep happening.

Maybe PA is a magical state where they follow procedures to the T and issues taken with false positives are met with flexibility and empathy. That would be amazing. But short of that, these are a blight and a waste of taxpayers funds.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
That doesn’t explain why a prison would continue to use a system if they feel like it doesn’t work.... and once the initial investment is made, no one is continuing to make money from them.
Who maintains these machines? There is your profit to the prison and the service company!!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMJL View Post
Thank you so much for your input - I am drafting a letter now, and I will also note in this letter that I am a licensed attorney in PA and NJ. I have two follow up questions: 1) is there a significant risk of retaliation against my loved one if I write this letter? 2) should I send copies of this letter to any additional individuals, i.e. the DOC's Chief Counsel?
As I stated in my PM, "cc's" tend to put people on defense because they create the threat of a paper trail. The less formally you take these first steps, the quicker you'll get a response and the better it might be. If I were you, I wouldn't even invoke your status as an attorney. Attorneys have no greater privilege to a CONTACT visit than anyone else. I'd really try to resolve this as informally as possible.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,271 Posts

This thread is drifting off topic. The OP asked for advice on what to do after a contact visit was denied.

Does anyone know what happens now? How can she go back to visit him? They made it seem like she can't go back until she files an appeal.

The advice was to contact the Superintendent, and that advice holds for anyone who experiences this problem.
jim.amy_4eva (04-19-2018), miamac (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,946 Times in 7,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
This thread is drifting off topic. The OP asked for advice on what to do after a contact visit was denied.
Thank you. And, my apologies.

OP-- my experience is limited to California and their policies. My angst is on behalf of the visitors who have been treated unfairly by the policies in that state and the impact it has made on visitation in CDCR facilities. I allowed that to drive my comments.

As Bobble is intimately familiar with PA practices, his advice is spot on. Enviably, PA appears to have a system much better suited for addressing these issues. I hope yours finds resolution and your visits with your loved one continue without concern.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:18 PM

I came up positive at FCI Manchester. What have others used to clean your shoes, etc...to make sure false positives don't occur? I have read some say isopropyl alcohol, baby wipes, Clorox wipes. What is working for others that have had a positive result? It's a long drive as well devastating to the both of us when denied our visit. I understand I will be tested each time I visit for a year. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Aussie Card Fairy!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,044 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
In our state prisons, you can use the restroom in the lobby to wash up prior to being signed-in.

Having now visited my fiance in a PA State Facility, I can say that there are no public restrooms at SCI Huntingdon, between the initial sign in process begins and you get ION Scanned and go through the metal detector, so hand washing in the lobby is a no go.

On one visit, EVERYONE was coming up with positive scans, but this was due (as told to me by the CO performing the test) to him/them using a little too much of the fluid they use to calibrate the machine in the morning, and it was giving out false positives. Thankfully they chose to allow us all through, however I guess they could've said no entry to us all, in case anyone was concealing any drugs on them.

Hugs
Nomes
- " - " - I give a "hoot" about inmates