Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Parole, Probation & Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Полезный дурак

Default Ontario: bail review information needed

I am not a legal eagle and have no intentions of it but I need some opinions. Please excuse my bad understanding and wrong terminology if that so applies.

Is a bail review actually worth pursuing or is the lawyer suggesting it for the extra work and money? In the past, I have been told [again, by lay people] that a review is not worth it cause it takes a lot of time [is 2 mos the norm or longer??] and costs a decent amount of money.

Situation: boyfriend on remand for a violent crime and some firearm charges. No criminal record but a perm. resident. Does not have many ties to the area. Was denied bail at his hearing 1,5 mos ago. At this rate, he will be in for some months so it is not as if all will be resolved during the duration of the process.

I understand that in order to qualify for a bail review that there must be a change of circumstances, such as an error in the law or new surety. In this case, it seems as though there is a new surety. Someone who is reliable, good and with decent assets. I know there is a lot of paperwork and legal work but is that really enough for the Crown to agree to a consent release or the Superior Court to reexamine the issue of bail?

It is not that I do not want him to have this chance but I do not want his lawyer to go after processes and hearings that could be useless and added private costs. Should not his lawyer be focused on the other court dates and proceedings?

Obviously, I cannot interfere cause I am not educated in the legal field but I have concerns, that is all. Opinions?
Sponsored Links