Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Default Need info about Petersburg Low please

Hi
My son is in transferring to Petersburg(VA) Low security. Is anybody knows about facility?
Is air condition and heating system works? How about corrlinks video calls?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,071 Times in 12,747 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. No air conditioning in the Low's housing units, but when I was there the commissary's larger plug-in (not battery) fan made a big difference. The chapel and the library are both air conditioned. Petersburg Medium is newer, and the residence buildings there are air conditioned.

There are a few really nasty dormitory housing assignments, Lee and Richmond halls. I was accepted into the 18 month residential "Life Connections Program", one of W's faith based release preparation programs (accessed through the Chaplain's office) which was a good way to spend that portion of my sentence. Much better housing in the LCP building and a few extra program benefits too. A new class every 6 months. The bop hasn't yet decided which programs will offer additional community corrections (half way house or home confinement) time, under the First Step Act, but there are so few programs left in the bop system, my guess is that LCP will be one of them.

The low is a very old prison, but when I was there for over 3 years, the staff was about the best one I encountered.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP127 View Post
Hi
My son is in transferring to Petersburg(VA) Low security. Is anybody knows about facility?
Is air condition and heating system works? How about corrlinks video calls?
My fiancé has been at the camp in Petersburg for a year now. He was enjoying it. Said that it is very laid back. In the last very months tho they have shut down a major portion of the unit (apparently due to finding black mold) He tells me that is where a lot of the programs were at. Due to that now there is very little to do. Also in the last two months their AC has went completely out! He says that they are all very miserable and hot. I also know that they have had power outages that have been lasting a few days at a time. When this happens there is no communication. (Visits, calls, or CorrLinks.) guards have been basically keeping them on lockdown. = ( There has never been CorrLinks video calling there.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,071 Times in 12,747 Posts

I didn't know that the camp was air conditioned, the FCI Low is not. It was always miserable and hot during the Virginia Summers, so he has a legitimate complaint.