Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Angry Do Pennsylvania State inmates get good time?

I have been doing alot if research on line trying to see if good time is being used in pa state prisons. I even emailed DOC person that the Pa DOC websute said for all general questions. I got a response that said good time would be applied to my husbands min. sentence. My husband was sentenced 24 -48 mths. So according to the email i received my husband should be able to come home possibly around this june. He went in May 2018. But SCI Dallas wont let him take the class he needs until the end if this year. And they said they dont do good behavior. So is good behavior being applied at the state prisons or not?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 04:10 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,063 Times in 16,175 Posts

Hi Mamadawn Because your question is state specific, I've moved your thread to the PA forum PA's Moderator, bobble60 will be online in the morning. He's very, very knowledgeable about PA DOC Have you checked in PA's Statutes concerning incarceration?

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 06:48 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,081 Times in 12,752 Posts

It looks to me that there is no "good time" earned by Pennsylvania prisoners, but they can gain an early release through parole.
http://www.ncrp.info/StateFactSheets.aspx?state=PA
Old 02-10-2019, 09:48 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,271 Posts

Hello.

In Pennsylvania, state prisoners do not receive "good time." There is no such provision in the state laws and none is on the horizon. To the extent that parole is a privilege (and not a right), we have "bad time". Those who don't comply with programs or misbehave are likely to be denied parole.

Inmates serving county-level sentences generally get time off of their minimum sentences for good behavior. Each county has its own formula.

Your husband has a minimum and maximum sentence. He will be eligible for parole on or after the date of that minimum. If he has a RRRI minimum, it's earlier than the true minimum and he gets that chance for earlier release on parole.
fbopnomore (02-10-2019), miamac (02-10-2019), patchouli (02-10-2019)