Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:57 PM

Unhappy Staying out of trouble on a 4 yard?

Hello everyone. I'm new here. My guy is serving a 3.5 yr sentence. Still in processing @ Alhambra but his custody class was just updated from 3/4 to 4/4. Unfortunately, this isn't his first rodeo and will be his second time going to prison here in AZ. Before he got multiple tickets and was in trouble quite a bit...

I know he is really trying to not screw up this time. Last we talked he told me he would most likely be placed on a 3 yard but would work his way down to a 2. He basically told me lower yard=less politics and the more likely he can mind his own business, do his time, and get out. Can anyone with LO's in a close custody yard give me some insight?

• How likely is it that he can eventually work his way down to a 4 yard?
  • What is the visiting/commissary/phone call privileges different in a 4 yard as opposed to a 3?
  • How hard is it going to be for him to stay out of trouble in a 4 yard?

I have so many questions and seeing his classification increase really worries me. Not being able to talk to him while he's in processing certainly doesn't help...

Any response is appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,743 Posts

Hi there! Welcome to Prison Talk! Sorry you have to go through your loved one going to prison again. You'll want to apply for calls and visitation as soon as he gets to wherever he's going. Unless you were on his approved list during his previous incarceration and he's been out less than a year you'll have to submit a new application and a new fee. You won't be able to get calls from him until you're approved which can take up to 90 days.

It's not at all true that there are any less politics on a 2 yard than there are on a 4 yard. 2 yards see a lot of youngsters, eager to earn their stripes, in for petty crimes, often addicted to drugs, with a higher inmate turn over rate than 4 yards. It makes for a tense environment at times.

I've said a million times here and I will say it again. If someone WANTS to stay out of trouble they will. It's as simple as that. Nobody is going to force him to join a gang or do drugs or hustle. Those are all things he will encounter and all he has to do is say no. On a 2 yard or on a 4 yard or on the streets it makes no difference. The rules for staying out of trouble in prison are the same across the board, across the country...Don't borrow, don't gamble, don't do drugs, don't get involved in politics or racial issues. Best advice for anyone is to keep their head down and do their time. Keep busy with work, classes, reading, etc. On a 4 yard he will be in a 2 man cell...which actually makes keeping to yourself much easier. You can read, watch tv, do puzzles, etc. On most 3 and 2 yards it's dorm setting with bunk beds. Basically 80 men to a building with rows of bunks. It's LOUD, no privacy, constant activity.

Department Order 809 is the earned incentive program. It outlines what privileges inmates receive based on phase level and custody level. You can read it in full HERE He will have to have a clean disciplinary record (no tickets or write ups AT ALL) for 6 months to move from phase 1 to phase 2.

Commissary - Regardless of custody classification an inmate may order $60 per week in commissary at phase 1, $80 at phase 2, and $100 at phase 3.

Phone - Phase 1 inmates on medium and close yards can make 1 15 minute phone call per day. Phase 2 inmates on medium and close yards can make 2 15 minute phone calls per day. Phase 3 inmates on medium yards can make 5 15 minute calls per day. Phase 3 inmates on close yards can make 4 15 minute phone calls per day. So really not much difference there.

Visits - Phase 1 inmates on medium and close yards can get 1 4 hour visit per week. Phase 2 inmates on medium yards can get 3 4 hour visits per week. Phase 3 inmates on close yards can get 2 4 hour visits per week. Phase 3 inmates on medium yards can get 4 4 hour visits per week. Phase 3 inmates on close yards can get 3 4 hour visits per week.
BBQueen (07-10-2018), BoosBabie3153 (02-28-2019), Minor activist (07-10-2018), SadSurprised (07-30-2018), Sarianna (07-11-2018), Shelby67 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:35 PM

I agree with Fridyrr, if someone wants to stay out of trouble they will.

My brother in law did they same amount of time my BD is doing right now and he didn't get in any trouble except for being out of place for count a few times.

My BD did get in trouble a lot when he was at the lower level yards. He has been outta trouble for almost a year now, he went to a max security and then now he is at a medium.

Some people need stricter rules to stay outta trouble, some can focus and not get in trouble no matter where they are at.

Just tell him to lay low and not get involved in anything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
BBQueen (07-10-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-11-2018), Sarianna (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Thank you for all the information. That puts my mind somewhat at ease.... I guess it does make more sense that the more freedom the more potential problems. I really hope he stays outta trouble.

Do you guys know if they get contact visits at 4 yards? Or does it just depend on the facility?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQueen View Post
Thank you for all the information. That puts my mind somewhat at ease.... I guess it does make more sense that the more freedom the more potential problems. I really hope he stays outta trouble.

Do you guys know if they get contact visits at 4 yards? Or does it just depend on the facility?
Yes 4 yards have contact visits. The visits aren't much different from visits at a 3 yard except for the number of 4 hour blocks you get per week. Some yards even have outdoor areas to smoke or walk around. We were hoping my husband would go to a 4 yard to avoid some of the more petty drama. But he's been at 3 yards for the last 3 years.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Yes 4 yards have contact visits. The visits aren't much different from visits at a 3 yard except for the number of 4 hour blocks you get per week. Some yards even have outdoor areas to smoke or walk around. We were hoping my husband would go to a 4 yard to avoid some of the more petty drama. But he's been at 3 yards for the last 3 years.
Okay, thanks. I guess I just had this image in my head that it was similar to max or something. All of this is so new to me. Just found out he was assigned to ASPC Yuma-Dakota Unit this morning. Thank you for all the information. It is much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQueen For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM

My baby daddy is there, if you would like some more info shot me a message!
Quote:
Okay, thanks. I guess I just had this image in my head that it was similar to max or something. All of this is so new to me. Just found out he was assigned to ASPC Yuma-Dakota Unit this morning. Thank you for all the information. It is much appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
BBQueen (07-11-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-11-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 09:50 PM

It took us a year to go down to a 3 Yard. Visitation depends on the prison cause a lot go by buildings on four yards. Phase one we got one four visira week and 1 15 min call. Phase two was one 8 hour visit a week two phones a day (15 mins each) and phase 32-/ one four hour visit and one 8 hour visit a week and 4 phone calls a day . The money situation doesn’t change
The Following User Says Thank You to Hiswife1215 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-29-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
My baby daddy is there, if you would like some more info shot me a message!
They just had a riot last night
Old 07-29-2018, 01:21 AM
Account Closed

My ex got in to less trouble on 4 than he has on 3 (not that he has many disciplinary infractions anyway). He spent so many years on a 5 and I don’t think he must have been on a 4 much longer than a year before he was moved down again.
I think there is more opportunity to get mixed up with stuff on a 3. More drama for sure. I had trouble adjusting to the change to be honest but I think he is was happy to finally hit a 3 because he was told he never would.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:30 AM

My brother stopped getting in trouble a soon as he started getting a little older
Old 07-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Account Closed

It is what it is. Some just find trouble more easily than other. They find it...it finds them. Prison politics. The fact he’s been inside 15yrs and that’s pretty much all he’s known his adult life. It’s not an environment where being moral works in their favour if they want to thrive as much as they physically and mentally can. They just have more control over their reactions as they age (most of them) and a better understanding of how things work both in prison and life in general.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:28 AM

What ?!? What happened???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiswife1215 View Post
They just had a riot last night
Old 07-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Theres nothing online about this riot , so im assuming it wasnt very big ?
Old 07-29-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Theres nothing online about this riot , so im assuming it wasnt very big ?

I havenít seen anything about a riot but my LO called me later than usual Friday and said his yard was locked down most of the morning because something happened on another yard.. last time i looked Dakota was closed for visits but the others were open. i havenít heard from him at all this weekend so hoping nothing else happened??
Old 07-29-2018, 03:36 PM

So your LO is not in Dakota but got put on lockdown for what happened in Dakota? I looked at my BD inmate record and didn't see anything, so I guess I can at least tell his mom he didn't get in trouble lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjz1234 View Post
I havenít seen anything about a riot but my LO called me later than usual Friday and said his yard was locked down most of the morning because something happened on another yard.. last time i looked Dakota was closed for visits but the others were open. i havenít heard from him at all this weekend so hoping nothing else happened??
Old 07-29-2018, 03:56 PM

He’s in cibola. My guess is they lock every yard down until they Get everything under control. From the way he said it it didn’t seem like it was anything big but that’s just me speculating. Lol good thing he didn’t get in trouble.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:21 PM

Oh okay i see. Yeah last time he was involved in a riot , his record was updated that day and this time nothing so im just assuming. But still nothing on google , so couldnt have been that serious . I think lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjz1234 View Post
Heís in cibola. My guess is they lock every yard down until they Get everything under control. From the way he said it it didnít seem like it was anything big but thatís just me speculating. Lol good thing he didnít get in trouble.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:57 PM

There's a huge difference between a disturbance that gets a yard locked down and a riot. One on one fights can get a yard locked down. Assault on staff will get a yard locked down. A missing knife from the kitchen or tool will get the yard locked down. It's better to wait to hear than to speculate.

If there had been a riot that morning you wouldn't have heard from your LO that evening.
jordan321 (07-29-2018), Lee4life (07-30-2018), Sarianna (07-30-2018), Sylph (07-30-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:49 PM

Just an update. I just got a letter from my man saying there was a big riot on the 27th. He also said its "rumored" that his unit (Dakota) will be on lockdown for a month...
Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Dam
That sucks
Quote:
Just an update. I just got a letter from my man saying there was a big riot on the 27th. He also said its "rumored" that his unit (Dakota) will be on lockdown for a month...
Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 PM

Husband is there (though he shouldn't be-he was supposed to be transferred to a 3 yard, no idea why it's taking so long for that to happen). According to him, it was about a 6 on 1 situation. He got hurt by getting hit with a rock-but he was trying to stay out of it as well as he could. He's not sure why it really started, but was pretty incredulous when I told him I couldn't find anything about it online.
Does anyone know how long it takes to transfer to a new yard when they get reclassified? We are hoping he moves closer to home, but not holding our breath since he thinks they are just move him to Cheyenne.

Quote: