Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in Florida facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp2012 View Post
Do you know how long it takes them to schedule the public hearing? I am out of the state until the beginning of May, which is why I was unable to attend this recent one. I would love to request to speak out against this change, if I am able to.

Thank you for your thorough update, I am very happy to hear that changes have not happened yet. I pray that they listen. Our babies need to see their father as often as possible.
No idea.

Repost from Florida Cares:

Amazing turnout yesterday for the public hearing in Tallahassee regarding visitation cuts. Everyone spoke so beautifully and passionately. FDC could not argue the facts. Visitors are only responsible for 2.5 percent of the contraband. Majority of visitors love and support, not hinder the rehabilitation process for their loved ones. Thank you to everyone who showed up.

To those who couldn't make it due to the short notice, you have a second chance as a second public hearing will be announced if the new visitation rule is implemented. We will have more notice than before so it should give everyone ample time to free up their schedule. The second public hearing will not be open for comments from those of us who attended the first public hearing. Although we can and will attend, the opportunity to speak will only be open to those who have not already done so. I will be providing rides and hotel rooms to those who need it. Please keep checking here for updates on the second hearing. You still have an opportunity to speak on the behalf of your incarcerated loved one. You are their only voice and together we can stop the DOC from replacing the much needed and beneficial in person visitation with video conferencing.

As you can see from the link below, FDC is no longer implementing the every other weekend visitation policy. At least not until they have reached a decision about rule 33-601.722 which would drastically reduce visitation without cause. Clearly the public hearing has had a tremendous impact on this decision which is why we urge everyone to please attend the next public hearing in the event that rule 33-691.723 for 2 days a month of minimum 2 hours visitation gets implemented.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64604953857892

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjewel View Post
No idea.

Repost from Florida Cares:

Amazing turnout yesterday for the public hearing in Tallahassee regarding visitation cuts. Everyone spoke so beautifully and passionately. FDC could not argue the facts. Visitors are only responsible for 2.5 percent of the contraband. Majority of visitors love and support, not hinder the rehabilitation process for their loved ones. Thank you to everyone who showed up.

To those who couldn't make it due to the short notice, you have a second chance as a second public hearing will be announced if the new visitation rule is implemented. We will have more notice than before so it should give everyone ample time to free up their schedule. The second public hearing will not be open for comments from those of us who attended the first public hearing. Although we can and will attend, the opportunity to speak will only be open to those who have not already done so. I will be providing rides and hotel rooms to those who need it. Please keep checking here for updates on the second hearing. You still have an opportunity to speak on the behalf of your incarcerated loved one. You are their only voice and together we can stop the DOC from replacing the much needed and beneficial in person visitation with video conferencing.

As you can see from the link below, FDC is no longer implementing the every other weekend visitation policy. At least not until they have reached a decision about rule 33-601.722 which would drastically reduce visitation without cause. Clearly the public hearing has had a tremendous impact on this decision which is why we urge everyone to please attend the next public hearing in the event that rule 33-691.723 for 2 days a month of minimum 2 hours visitation gets implemented.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64604953857892
I am filling out the request for hearing form. It asks "Appearing on Behalf of:" is that for someone that cannot attend or if I am appearing on behalf of my incarcerated husband?

Thanks in advance!
The Following User Says Thank You to qp2012 For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:12 AM

A contact I have at FLDOC told me this yesterday. He has always been reliable in the past. The proposed changes in visitation have little to do with us (visitors) and are more aimed at placating the officers union. I'm not sure if he said that they have filed a lawsuit or are threatening further actions. The Union is obviously pretty strong, just look at how so few officers get fired (Gregory Haines) for really heinous acts, not to mention how they just get shifted around after being caught bringing in contraband. All stuff we would be arrested for.

He was unaware of the strip searches at Baker. According to the local news they found 1 $20.00 bill and some pills in someone's hair. During the same time period they also caught an officer bringing in contraband. Bet they didn't strip search him.

He confirmed the dogs searching the cars at OCI, and there were some arrests there before the cars reached the first checkpoint.

He did say the visitation changes are 2x a month for odds and evens so they will have visitations twice a month for each. I don't quite get that when I read it, but English is not my first language.

So basically we are pawns (my words not his) in their fight with the union. There is an officer shortage everywhere and particularly up north. Not our problem, a large enough portion of their budget is allocated to staff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018), patchouli (04-06-2018), xolady (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp2012 View Post
I am filling out the request for hearing form. It asks "Appearing on Behalf of:" is that for someone that cannot attend or if I am appearing on behalf of my incarcerated husband?

Thanks in advance!
I put on behalf of the 100,000 that have no say.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018), Najeli (04-07-2018), patchouli (04-07-2018), qp2012 (04-10-2018), xolady (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Charlieís, it has a lot to do with the jpay contract. I donít doubt the Union isnít in on it. But, itís all about a dollar and how many hey can get from us. But, this is like charging old folks $600 a month and they only get $400 retirement. It just isnt going to work.

And, they may very well force it, but the whole state for ions to come will pay dearly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018), xolady (04-07-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:09 AM

I too thought the extra JPay revenue was behind these changes. After my conversation I changed my mind. Here is my reasoning. There are approximately 1600 people at OCI. We are on rotating even and odds for visitation days. If 125 people get visit over a 2 day period that is a lot. When I go I see the same people I have known for years. The regulars who come consistently make up at least 35%. Another 15% are semi regulars. And since there are cuts and adds every week there are probably some people I don't recognize as regulars yet.

The majority of the population doesn't have visitors ever!! My son says in most of the dorms there is very little usage of the kiosks. For families with children video visitation will be a good thing, for those who cant travel due to finances, health, distance it may be helpful. But I don't think the number of users of the video visitation will dramatically increase based on the visitation changes. There will be an increase for sure but I don't think it will be that significant.

I would still drive 5 hours to see my son for 2. There are too many things I want to talk about that I won't discuss over the phone or e-mail. Not that they would be considered "contraband type conversations" but they are things I consider to be too private for anyone else's ears.

I think there will be an increase in video visitation due to visitor changes but don't think in the end it will be that significant. I think the bigger threat for us is the strength of the officers union and their shortages in staff. Nothing much happens to C.O.'s when they are caught, unlike us. I agree with the movement to stop the changes in policy but think we need to retool the approach to address the union problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-28-2018), icj357 (06-28-2018), xolady (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:54 PM

Guys whatís going on?? My bf told me about this so I guess I canít visit this weekend coming up? 4/14/18 he has a DOC # that ends with a 3
Old 04-09-2018, 06:32 PM

Sunshine, as far as I know visitation is to be as it was for the time being. Just to be on the safe side call and check and check again before you leave to visit.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 PM

Default Any update on Florida's visitation rule change?

Just wondering if anyone has any new information since the hearing on the 31st
The Following User Says Thank You to ljasso For This Useful Post:
Sunnielg (06-10-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:01 PM

Any updates on this rule change?

I am not in Florida and want to visit my LO but will need to book my trip weeks in advance, and afraid they will put a rule change in place between now and then! No bueno
51littlemama (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljasso View Post
Any updates on this rule change?

I am not in Florida and want to visit my LO but will need to book my trip weeks in advance, and afraid they will put a rule change in place between now and then! No bueno
I would like an update on this too. As far as I know, visitation has remained the same...but I would call the facility before I made plans. My husband is in a Region 2 facility.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:02 AM
icj357
Donation Award 

I am only two hour from my son (one way), but before I leave my driveway I always call the prison and make sure that they are even having visitation. You never know when they won't have one for one reason or another. It does not hurt anyone to make a call first. Also, if I have a question, I call the prison and ask questions, my son told me that they are just now placing the kisoks in his prison (Bay CF), yesterday. We are both in favor of the video visits, but we both like the hugs and being able to have private conversations will immediately come to an end if they remove on site visitations.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icj357 For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-28-2018), Sunnielg (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icj357 View Post
I am only two hour from my son (one way), but before I leave my driveway I always call the prison and make sure that they are even having visitation. You never know when they won't have one for one reason or another. It does not hurt anyone to make a call first. Also, if I have a question, I call the prison and ask questions, my son told me that they are just now placing the kisoks in his prison (Bay CF), yesterday. We are both in favor of the video visits, but we both like the hugs and being able to have private conversations will immediately come to an end if they remove on site visitations.
I am 30 mins east of Panama City. Hubby is 3 1/2 hours east of me. So much for the state trying to keep families together.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

No news yet since the last hearing. Could be any day now, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
icj357 (07-19-2018), Sunnielg (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 10:43 PM

Hopefully no changes before my planned visit in a few weeks!
Old 07-02-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Hopefully no changes before my planned visit in a few weeks!
I am hoping that it doesnt change....or at least not taking time away from us.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has any new information since the hearing on the 31st
I would like to know also
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,072 Times in 16,180 Posts

Whoooooo Hoooooooo!! Ya'll did it!! Everyone who participated, wrote letters and attended meeting deserves a pat on the back

Just got word on PTO's facebook page that FDC has to withdraw the proposed rule change because the deadline for a response passed without responding!!!

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-19-2018), icj357 (07-19-2018), ljasso (07-18-2018), Sunnielg (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Whoooooo Hoooooooo!! Ya'll did it!! Everyone who participated, wrote letters and attended meeting deserves a pat on the back

Just got word on PTO's facebook page that FDC has to withdraw the proposed rule change because the deadline for a response passed without responding!!!
What a relief! I was terrified at what the next few years would be like until my LO comes home
patchouli (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post

I COULD KISS YOU RIGHT NOW!!! Just knowing that I can still go see him as much as I can means the world. I know he will be happy when I tell him too!

Old 07-24-2018, 05:16 PM

There was just a news report on this tonight on my local station. FDOC says they will still be trying to change the visitation and that the comments from the families had NOTHING to do with them not getting the paperwork ready on time.

Hopefully Rick Scott will be replaced with someone who will be open to actually making changes for the better in this state.