Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in Florida facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 04-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Anjewel's Avatar
Anjewel Anjewel is offline
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 4,165
Thanks: 1,504
Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,421 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp2012 View Post
Do you know how long it takes them to schedule the public hearing? I am out of the state until the beginning of May, which is why I was unable to attend this recent one. I would love to request to speak out against this change, if I am able to.

Thank you for your thorough update, I am very happy to hear that changes have not happened yet. I pray that they listen. Our babies need to see their father as often as possible.
No idea.

Repost from Florida Cares:

Amazing turnout yesterday for the public hearing in Tallahassee regarding visitation cuts. Everyone spoke so beautifully and passionately. FDC could not argue the facts. Visitors are only responsible for 2.5 percent of the contraband. Majority of visitors love and support, not hinder the rehabilitation process for their loved ones. Thank you to everyone who showed up.

To those who couldn't make it due to the short notice, you have a second chance as a second public hearing will be announced if the new visitation rule is implemented. We will have more notice than before so it should give everyone ample time to free up their schedule. The second public hearing will not be open for comments from those of us who attended the first public hearing. Although we can and will attend, the opportunity to speak will only be open to those who have not already done so. I will be providing rides and hotel rooms to those who need it. Please keep checking here for updates on the second hearing. You still have an opportunity to speak on the behalf of your incarcerated loved one. You are their only voice and together we can stop the DOC from replacing the much needed and beneficial in person visitation with video conferencing.

As you can see from the link below, FDC is no longer implementing the every other weekend visitation policy. At least not until they have reached a decision about rule 33-601.722 which would drastically reduce visitation without cause. Clearly the public hearing has had a tremendous impact on this decision which is why we urge everyone to please attend the next public hearing in the event that rule 33-691.723 for 2 days a month of minimum 2 hours visitation gets implemented.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64604953857892
__________________

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
  #77  
Old 04-05-2018, 10:36 PM
qp2012 qp2012 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Miami, Florida, US
Posts: 31
Thanks: 19
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjewel View Post
No idea.

Repost from Florida Cares:

Amazing turnout yesterday for the public hearing in Tallahassee regarding visitation cuts. Everyone spoke so beautifully and passionately. FDC could not argue the facts. Visitors are only responsible for 2.5 percent of the contraband. Majority of visitors love and support, not hinder the rehabilitation process for their loved ones. Thank you to everyone who showed up.

To those who couldn't make it due to the short notice, you have a second chance as a second public hearing will be announced if the new visitation rule is implemented. We will have more notice than before so it should give everyone ample time to free up their schedule. The second public hearing will not be open for comments from those of us who attended the first public hearing. Although we can and will attend, the opportunity to speak will only be open to those who have not already done so. I will be providing rides and hotel rooms to those who need it. Please keep checking here for updates on the second hearing. You still have an opportunity to speak on the behalf of your incarcerated loved one. You are their only voice and together we can stop the DOC from replacing the much needed and beneficial in person visitation with video conferencing.

As you can see from the link below, FDC is no longer implementing the every other weekend visitation policy. At least not until they have reached a decision about rule 33-601.722 which would drastically reduce visitation without cause. Clearly the public hearing has had a tremendous impact on this decision which is why we urge everyone to please attend the next public hearing in the event that rule 33-691.723 for 2 days a month of minimum 2 hours visitation gets implemented.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64604953857892
I am filling out the request for hearing form. It asks "Appearing on Behalf of:" is that for someone that cannot attend or if I am appearing on behalf of my incarcerated husband?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qp2012 For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018)
  #78  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:12 AM
Charlie's Mom Charlie's Mom is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Broward County, Florida
Posts: 688
Thanks: 235
Thanked 421 Times in 202 Posts
Default

A contact I have at FLDOC told me this yesterday. He has always been reliable in the past. The proposed changes in visitation have little to do with us (visitors) and are more aimed at placating the officers union. I'm not sure if he said that they have filed a lawsuit or are threatening further actions. The Union is obviously pretty strong, just look at how so few officers get fired (Gregory Haines) for really heinous acts, not to mention how they just get shifted around after being caught bringing in contraband. All stuff we would be arrested for.

He was unaware of the strip searches at Baker. According to the local news they found 1 $20.00 bill and some pills in someone's hair. During the same time period they also caught an officer bringing in contraband. Bet they didn't strip search him.

He confirmed the dogs searching the cars at OCI, and there were some arrests there before the cars reached the first checkpoint.

He did say the visitation changes are 2x a month for odds and evens so they will have visitations twice a month for each. I don't quite get that when I read it, but English is not my first language.

So basically we are pawns (my words not his) in their fight with the union. There is an officer shortage everywhere and particularly up north. Not our problem, a large enough portion of their budget is allocated to staff.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018), patchouli (04-06-2018), xolady (04-07-2018)
  #79  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Anjewel's Avatar
Anjewel Anjewel is offline
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 4,165
Thanks: 1,504
Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,421 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp2012 View Post
I am filling out the request for hearing form. It asks "Appearing on Behalf of:" is that for someone that cannot attend or if I am appearing on behalf of my incarcerated husband?

Thanks in advance!
I put on behalf of the 100,000 that have no say.
__________________

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018), Najeli (04-07-2018), patchouli (04-07-2018), qp2012 (04-10-2018), xolady (04-07-2018)
  #80  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Anjewel's Avatar
Anjewel Anjewel is offline
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 4,165
Thanks: 1,504
Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,421 Posts
Default

Charlieís, it has a lot to do with the jpay contract. I donít doubt the Union isnít in on it. But, itís all about a dollar and how many hey can get from us. But, this is like charging old folks $600 a month and they only get $400 retirement. It just isnt going to work.

And, they may very well force it, but the whole state for ions to come will pay dearly.
__________________

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-11-2018), xolady (04-07-2018)
  #81  
Old 04-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Charlie's Mom Charlie's Mom is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Broward County, Florida
Posts: 688
Thanks: 235
Thanked 421 Times in 202 Posts
Default

I too thought the extra JPay revenue was behind these changes. After my conversation I changed my mind. Here is my reasoning. There are approximately 1600 people at OCI. We are on rotating even and odds for visitation days. If 125 people get visit over a 2 day period that is a lot. When I go I see the same people I have known for years. The regulars who come consistently make up at least 35%. Another 15% are semi regulars. And since there are cuts and adds every week there are probably some people I don't recognize as regulars yet.

The majority of the population doesn't have visitors ever!! My son says in most of the dorms there is very little usage of the kiosks. For families with children video visitation will be a good thing, for those who cant travel due to finances, health, distance it may be helpful. But I don't think the number of users of the video visitation will dramatically increase based on the visitation changes. There will be an increase for sure but I don't think it will be that significant.

I would still drive 5 hours to see my son for 2. There are too many things I want to talk about that I won't discuss over the phone or e-mail. Not that they would be considered "contraband type conversations" but they are things I consider to be too private for anyone else's ears.

I think there will be an increase in video visitation due to visitor changes but don't think in the end it will be that significant. I think the bigger threat for us is the strength of the officers union and their shortages in staff. Nothing much happens to C.O.'s when they are caught, unlike us. I agree with the movement to stop the changes in policy but think we need to retool the approach to address the union problem.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-28-2018), icj357 (06-28-2018), xolady (04-09-2018)
  #82  
Old 04-08-2018, 06:54 PM
sunshinebabe90 sunshinebabe90 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2016
Location: florida
Posts: 149
Thanks: 28
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Guys whatís going on?? My bf told me about this so I guess I canít visit this weekend coming up? 4/14/18 he has a DOC # that ends with a 3
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Charlie's Mom Charlie's Mom is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Broward County, Florida
Posts: 688
Thanks: 235
Thanked 421 Times in 202 Posts
Default

Sunshine, as far as I know visitation is to be as it was for the time being. Just to be on the safe side call and check and check again before you leave to visit.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 PM
ljasso ljasso is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: mn
Posts: 118
Thanks: 23
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default Any update on Florida's visitation rule change?

Just wondering if anyone has any new information since the hearing on the 31st
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ljasso For This Useful Post:
Sunnielg (06-10-2018)
  #85  
Old 06-27-2018, 07:01 PM
ljasso ljasso is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: mn
Posts: 118
Thanks: 23
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Any updates on this rule change?

I am not in Florida and want to visit my LO but will need to book my trip weeks in advance, and afraid they will put a rule change in place between now and then! No bueno
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ljasso For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-28-2018)
  #86  
Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 PM
Sunnielg's Avatar
Sunnielg Sunnielg is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Gulf County, FL
Posts: 365
Thanks: 769
Thanked 293 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljasso View Post
Any updates on this rule change?

I am not in Florida and want to visit my LO but will need to book my trip weeks in advance, and afraid they will put a rule change in place between now and then! No bueno
I would like an update on this too. As far as I know, visitation has remained the same...but I would call the facility before I made plans. My husband is in a Region 2 facility.
__________________


Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-28-2018)
  #87  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:02 AM
icj357's Avatar
icj357 icj357 is offline
icj357
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL USA
Posts: 519
Thanks: 1,788
Thanked 525 Times in 256 Posts
Default

I am only two hour from my son (one way), but before I leave my driveway I always call the prison and make sure that they are even having visitation. You never know when they won't have one for one reason or another. It does not hurt anyone to make a call first. Also, if I have a question, I call the prison and ask questions, my son told me that they are just now placing the kisoks in his prison (Bay CF), yesterday. We are both in favor of the video visits, but we both like the hugs and being able to have private conversations will immediately come to an end if they remove on site visitations.
__________________


Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icj357 For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-28-2018), Sunnielg (06-28-2018)
  #88  
Old 06-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Sunnielg's Avatar
Sunnielg Sunnielg is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Gulf County, FL
Posts: 365
Thanks: 769
Thanked 293 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icj357 View Post
I am only two hour from my son (one way), but before I leave my driveway I always call the prison and make sure that they are even having visitation. You never know when they won't have one for one reason or another. It does not hurt anyone to make a call first. Also, if I have a question, I call the prison and ask questions, my son told me that they are just now placing the kisoks in his prison (Bay CF), yesterday. We are both in favor of the video visits, but we both like the hugs and being able to have private conversations will immediately come to an end if they remove on site visitations.
I am 30 mins east of Panama City. Hubby is 3 1/2 hours east of me. So much for the state trying to keep families together.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Anjewel's Avatar
Anjewel Anjewel is offline
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 4,165
Thanks: 1,504
Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,421 Posts
Default

No news yet since the last hearing. Could be any day now, though.
__________________

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
icj357 (07-19-2018), Sunnielg (07-01-2018)
  #90  
Old 07-01-2018, 10:43 PM
ljasso ljasso is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: mn
Posts: 118
Thanks: 23
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Hopefully no changes before my planned visit in a few weeks!
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 07-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Sunnielg's Avatar
Sunnielg Sunnielg is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Gulf County, FL
Posts: 365
Thanks: 769
Thanked 293 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljasso View Post
Hopefully no changes before my planned visit in a few weeks!
I am hoping that it doesnt change....or at least not taking time away from us.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 07-09-2018, 08:32 PM
lakhawk2001 lakhawk2001 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljasso View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any new information since the hearing on the 31st
I would like to know also
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM
patchouli's Avatar
patchouli patchouli is online now
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 41,554
Thanks: 41,998
Thanked 35,072 Times in 16,180 Posts
Default

Whoooooo Hoooooooo!! Ya'll did it!! Everyone who participated, wrote letters and attended meeting deserves a pat on the back

Just got word on PTO's facebook page that FDC has to withdraw the proposed rule change because the deadline for a response passed without responding!!!
__________________
prisontalkhelp@gmail.com

patchouli, PTO Admin



Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-19-2018), icj357 (07-19-2018), ljasso (07-18-2018), Sunnielg (07-18-2018)
  #94  
Old 07-18-2018, 07:06 PM
ljasso ljasso is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: mn
Posts: 118
Thanks: 23
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Whoooooo Hoooooooo!! Ya'll did it!! Everyone who participated, wrote letters and attended meeting deserves a pat on the back

Just got word on PTO's facebook page that FDC has to withdraw the proposed rule change because the deadline for a response passed without responding!!!
What a relief! I was terrified at what the next few years would be like until my LO comes home
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ljasso For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-18-2018)
  #95  
Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Sunnielg's Avatar
Sunnielg Sunnielg is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Gulf County, FL
Posts: 365
Thanks: 769
Thanked 293 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Whoooooo Hoooooooo!! Ya'll did it!! Everyone who participated, wrote letters and attended meeting deserves a pat on the back

Just got word on PTO's facebook page that FDC has to withdraw the proposed rule change because the deadline for a response passed without responding!!!
I COULD KISS YOU RIGHT NOW!!! Just knowing that I can still go see him as much as I can means the world. I know he will be happy when I tell him too!
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-24-2018, 05:16 PM
Sunnielg's Avatar
Sunnielg Sunnielg is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Gulf County, FL
Posts: 365
Thanks: 769
Thanked 293 Times in 164 Posts
Default

There was just a news report on this tonight on my local station. FDOC says they will still be trying to change the visitation and that the comments from the families had NOTHING to do with them not getting the paperwork ready on time.

Hopefully Rick Scott will be replaced with someone who will be open to actually making changes for the better in this state.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proposed DOC Rule Change on Visitation Zelda50 Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail 0 12-27-2011 12:16 PM
BOP Proposed Rule Change Zelda50 Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues 2 10-22-2011 10:43 PM
Proposed Rule Change - Visitation Zelda50 Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail 2 08-03-2009 10:52 PM
Proposed Visiting Rule Change Zelda50 Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 1 02-17-2009 05:22 PM
Proposed change to visitation rule Zelda50 Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail 2 01-17-2007 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics