Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > Riker's Island Jail - New York
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Riker's Island Jail - New York Topics & Discussions relating to Riker's Island Jail.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:18 PM

Default Can inmates wear wrist watches?

Can inmates wear wrist watches in Rikers? I'll probably just be passing through on way to Downstate, but I wonder if they will confiscate my watch if I wear it in when I'm sentenced.

It will be a generic digital watch if that matters. I see it being allowed in the package list for New York State, but don't see it on the list for Rikers. I'd hate to have it confiscated before I make it to my destination facility.

I've searched everywhere and couldn't find this information. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2016, 05:31 PM

When you enter Downstate Reception, the only things you’re allowed to bring in with you are prescription eyeglasses (in a cloth or soft plastic case with no metal in it) and a Bible (or I presume a Koran or Torah/Talmud). If you have a watch at Rikers (which I don’t know any details about), you’ll have to throw it away or pay to have it shipped home when you arrive at Reception. NYS Prisons have very detailed and specific requirements about what watches they’ll allow in. You’d be best buying an approved watch from Commissary or an approved vendor after you get out of Reception and arrive at your first “real” prison. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (11-05-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combs View Post
When you enter Downstate Reception, the only things you’re allowed to bring in with you are prescription eyeglasses (in a cloth or soft plastic case with no metal in it) and a Bible (or I presume a Koran or Torah/Talmud). If you have a watch at Rikers (which I don’t know any details about), you’ll have to throw it away or pay to have it shipped home when you arrive at Reception. NYS Prisons have very detailed and specific requirements about what watches they’ll allow in. You’d be best buying an approved watch from Commissary or an approved vendor after you get out of Reception and arrive at your first “real” prison. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Thanks for the reply!

1) Here's a stupid question, but I just want to make sure - you said the "only things" allowed are eyeglasses and a Bible. Does Downstate make you throw out your personal clothes too? Specifically, I mean underwear, socks, sweater, jeans, fleece jacket that I plan to wear the day of sentencing?

2) I'd rather have a watch than not, because it really sucks not even knowing the time of day before finally ending up at the destination facility. It could be a month before I end up there.

I did read Directive 4911 on packages where it says you can have a watch that tells time-day-date-light-audible alarm, and I have a cheapo digital watch that has only those functions. The only sticking point is that it also has a stopwatch function (most of them do), and that is not specifically mentioned in the watch restrictions. Not sure if the COs are really sticklers on this?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestlesson View Post
Thanks for the reply!

1) Here's a stupid question, but I just want to make sure - you said the "only things" allowed are eyeglasses and a Bible. Does Downstate make you throw out your personal clothes too? Specifically, I mean underwear, socks, sweater, jeans, fleece jacket that I plan to wear the day of sentencing?

2) I'd rather have a watch than not, because it really sucks not even knowing the time of day before finally ending up at the destination facility. It could be a month before I end up there.

I did read Directive 4911 on packages where it says you can have a watch that tells time-day-date-light-audible alarm, and I have a cheapo digital watch that has only those functions. The only sticking point is that it also has a stopwatch function (most of them do), and that is not specifically mentioned in the watch restrictions. Not sure if the COs are really sticklers on this?
I think you've been told these answers in other posts you've started. County( rikers) and state( downstate) are 2 different corrections. You CANNOT bring things from county to state- period!!! You shouldn't wear layers of clothes to county you CANNOT bring them to state. Once you get to your "home" prison you can get things. Wait until you get there and have family/ friends send you clothes, blanket, underwear socks.. money on your books in county will transfer to state but it takes a long time also, money on your books in one state facility takes a while to catch up to you at your next prison as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs. Iimas For This Useful Post:
carolmach (11-06-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,765 Posts

Typically if you're being transported between facilities, it won't matter if there's a watch or not in your personal property...you can't wear it during movement anyway.

Edit: just reread, you meant to have it at the facility while you're awaiting transport. Well, then you might. But depending how long your "layover is" you might not see your personal property til you get to your home facility.

Last edited by miamac; 11-04-2016 at 09:39 PM..
Old 11-05-2016, 10:04 AM

I think I get it now. At some point at Rikers or Downstate, all possessions will be taken (except for a Bible, eyeglasses, wedding ring). Even the clothes, including underwear, will be taken/discarded and I will be issued State clothing.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestlesson View Post
I think I get it now. At some point at Rikers or Downstate, all possessions will be taken (except for a Bible, eyeglasses, wedding ring). Even the clothes, including underwear, will be taken/discarded and I will be issued State clothing.
Not necessarily discarded. You may choose to mail home your clothing, on your dime. If you have no money yet, it will be advanced to you. Go light, let go of the things that define you. Only possessions. You will find a new normal while you are inside. Take a deep breath, this is outside of your control.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Not necessarily discarded. You may choose to mail home your clothing, on your dime. If you have no money yet, it will be advanced to you. Go light, let go of the things that define you. Only possessions. You will find a new normal while you are inside. Take a deep breath, this is outside of your control.
Thank you for the kind words. It's my first time and I just wanted to help myself in being prepared as much as possible.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:29 AM

Like I, and some of the others have said, there is very little control over what you have and can do the first several weeks of your incarceration process. Sorry to say, but 4911 does not apply to Rikers and when you get there, you will have all of your possessions (except wedding band or glasses) removed from you and you will be issued your county attire. When you transfer to State, anything that you acquired in county (unless like mentioned above, glasses, bible, legal papers) will not be transferred.

Watches, clothing and other goodies will need to be acquired (as per 4911) after you arrive at your home facility AND most "permit" items will require a receipt claiming their value or they will be rejected. A watch is one of those items. This information is also in the 4911, so as long as you read that, this should make sense.

I know it is hard to hear, but in this case, you will need to go with the flow, and choose your battles there. No one likes it, but it is what it is. Listen to the advice that you are seeking, and take heed.
The Following User Says Thank You to carolmach For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (11-06-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 06:06 PM

I had a Rolex in rikers island back in 1989. I was in HDM and had everything i had on the night i got locked up, denied bail and sent to Rikers. I had the watch and a diamond ring. Up north in 1991 i had to send it home tho