Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,271 Posts
Default Documents you should NOT send to an inmate in Pennsylvania

It was suggested I post this where everyone can find it.

Many times inmates will ask family to send them their Social Security card, birth certificate, driver's license, etc. They do not need them and you should not send them.

Identity theft has become a major problem for prisoners. They share personal data with someone who sends it out to others. Then they come home to a credit report filled with headaches.

There is a reason why the DOC doesn't put the inmate's SSN on any form an inmate might possess. There is no appeal in any court that requires an SSN on it. If an inmate is trying to file an SSI or SSD claim while in prison, he doesn't need the card and should safeguard his SSN.

A very small handful of inmates need their driver's license: those selected for community work details that require them to drive. This may be one or two per prison.

If the mail room finds these documents incoming, they generally confiscate them. They won't even risk returning them to you. They will be locked in the prison safe and handed to the inmate upon his release.

Should a prisoner ask you for any identifying documents, my advice is that you call the prison and confirm that they are asking for them. Then send them directly to the staff member who made the request.
airmiles (04-15-2012), jancy (02-09-2010), Kambonita (02-27-2010), KIMinPA (06-16-2010), kylee23 (03-15-2010), leeann2010 (02-20-2013), marylin (02-08-2010), Mom0f2 (07-01-2010), nicmiller (10-02-2011), sixthsense (11-28-2014), upagainstawall (04-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 12:36 AM

thanks for the info:0)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 AM

PTO Moderator 

As an update, a friend who was released from prison at the beginning of 2012 just tried to file his 2012 tax return. The IRS rejected the e-files. He called them. Seems someone has already filed one under his SSN and name. That "someone" filed from FL, and now my friend is going through about ten forms with the government plus all the hassle of the credit reporting agencies ... because someone got hold of his SSN while he was in prison.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
As an update, a friend who was released from prison at the beginning of 2012 just tried to file his 2012 tax return. The IRS rejected the e-files. He called them. Seems someone has already filed one under his SSN and name. That "someone" filed from FL, and now my friend is going through about ten forms with the government plus all the hassle of the credit reporting agencies ... because someone got hold of his SSN while he was in prison.
My fiance had me send in his birth certificate, drivers license and SS card. Before I did that,I called the prison and they put me through to records department that said yes they needed the originals, not copies, and that they would be confiscated and kept locked up. I was skeptical at first until I talked to records. Not sure why they need the originals instead of copies, but he needed them before he went before the parole board.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:23 AM

PTO Moderator 

This is highly unusual. They seem to be questioning either his identity (unlikely, since they have fingerprints) or his citizenship.