Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Recidivism and Re-entry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Recidivism and Re-entry Share information, research, and personal experiences.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 PM

please why can't no one help me find out what a p code is and how to made it go away someone please help me.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks for sharing this - very interesting.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts

It's easy to blame "society", because society is nameless and faceless. But I am society, and I'm not punishing you. I've done nothing to you at all. As far as I can tell, no one here is punishing you, either. So it's not "society."

That said, though, it is true, that the things we do follow us through life... good and bad. If we get ripped off at a car repair center, we won't go back. It's human nature.

Make the best of it you can, and look for those the people and positions that can minimize the damage done to your reputation (deserved or otherwise), and keep on trying.

So many people blame the country and plan to leave it as soon as they can and go be law abiding, upstanding, perfect citizens of another country. Well, Ok, but if those people had done that here, they wouldn't be talking about leaving in the first place. And reading the posts about prisons abroad, if they do go to those countries, I hope they really are law abiding citizens, because the prisons may be just a bit worse overseas. The show "Locked Up Abroad" should be enough to convince people of that.

Best of luck no matter what you decide to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
eb2009 (10-17-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 AM

This is were I get confused about the word felon. Why does it mean the same thing for
Everyone.

Is there no believe in the meaning you paid your debt to society. We need to revamp all laws.
The Following User Says Thank You to lack10 For This Useful Post:
justinr11 (10-14-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts

I think you're right in that a felon is not a felon is not a felon. A point of confusion, based on my observation, is that it's not the "felony" that people care about, or more to the point, don't let you forget.

It's the action. It's the deed. It's the crime. It's not the "felony."

If someone had a felony conviction for spitting on the sidewalk (extreme example, but work with me), I'm sure many, if not most, would say 'so what." (I'll go along and say that some would still get their panties in a wad over it - can't fix everyone).

If you were at a job interview and they asked your hobbies (this is NOT directed at anyone in particular - please take no offense to the example), and you said "I like stealing cars at knife point and cruising around", I dare say you won't get the job. Even without a felony conviction for it.

It's the action.

I'm only making this distinction because I see so many people lament the "conviction" rather than saying "I can't wait until I don't have to tell people what I thought was Ok to do back in the day."

There really is a difference, and that means that yes, you did your time. That was what was owed. But people are people, and there is nothing that says that you do your penalty, and it's a requirement of all people to pay their debt by acting like it never happened.

This is a point I'd love to see people, like us, go to schools and explain to an auditorium full of kids. I'm so thankful for some of the shows on TV these days that show prisons and prison life and expose at-risk kids to some reality of consequences. Maybe it has changed some of their lives.

Best of luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
It's easy to blame "society", because society is nameless and faceless. But I am society, and I'm not punishing you. I've done nothing to you at all. As far as I can tell, no one here is punishing you, either. So it's not "society."

So many people blame the country and plan to leave it as soon as they can and go be law abiding, upstanding, perfect citizens of another country. Well, Ok, but if those people had done that here, they wouldn't be talking about leaving in the first place. And reading the posts about prisons abroad, if they do go to those countries, I hope they really are law abiding citizens, because the prisons may be just a bit worse overseas. The show "Locked Up Abroad" should be enough to convince people of that.
do.
Some basic professions might generally be off limits, preschools, maybe medical-just maybe, and police officers. But every job in America could be argued to be too dangerous for an ex-con. California tried to go after food service which would close down successful restauranteurs-scary and totalitarian. Even the population of non- offenders will have a percentage of future offenders. It is my contention that some in law enforcement have now deliberately been lobbying for marginalization rather than public safety.

Has anyone seen this Youtube video on Norway prisons? I am a realist. Don't get me wrong. It doesn't seem like it would totally work here.

Somewhere some talked about it, but the video is sort of funny. Still, they have a 20% recidiscism rate. Go figure.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Doomed for life for being labeled a Felon

Like I said before laws need to be changed. The label felon never leaves you.

Never understand the meaning of ex-felon. Maybe because I never went to jail.

Only probation but still a felon or ex-felon. Please god pass this second chance bill before I am too old to work.

Wait I am 47 with a BS, Military Vet, over 11 years in the IT field and many IT certifications.

To think again, maybe it's too late....the government can't save me.

Hmmmm what do I do for money.

Just some of my crazy thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to lack10 For This Useful Post:
justinr11 (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 PM

A lot of roadblocks are hidden. Often a day or two After starting a new job, they mysteriously know all about you. Or you will notice that they are abusing you to force you to leave without telling you they were tipped off. Best move is to stay quiet and endure it because it costs them unemployment insurance premiums to fire you.

I would tell you to start a computer sales store if your area isn't saturated. A guy in my area made lots doing it. Sleep with the lights off in the back of the store to save money starting out if you have to do it. The Thomas Register of American Manufacturers is a yellow pages online. You can google foreign computer companies. If you incorporate, your private belongings are protected if the business fails. Legalzoom.com will incorporate for $99. Of course you need to file a business license for maybe $60 at the county clerk. Talk to a tax person for filing your receipts every 3 months. Chinese computer companies will sell to anyone, but Hong Kong has better ethics. You could also look at one of the cell phone booths at the mall and contact the cell provider for a second product to sell as well as having a snack rack out front. Since Circuit City and Fry's are gone, it might be an idea if the economy doesn't kill it.

Last edited by justinr11; 10-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Grammar info
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 PM

I didnt put the little sad face on my posts, it just keeps showing up
:-)
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Computer sales stores is not proftable
Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM

You may no better than me, that was why I thought cell phones might be a little more recession proof. Best of luck sir
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 PM

When I was pretty desperate I even thought about opening a corner store. I had worked at a supermarket once and learned many of the local wholesalers. You would always have food, pretty recession proof, minimal investment in some groceries and some rent.

Last edited by justinr11; 10-18-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Makes a guy sick our country used to give free $900,000 loans for people who never paid taxes or lived here, from the other side of the world, to buy all our hotels and treat us like rats when we stay in them. They hate us and welcome terrorists en masse to come live here in free hotels.

Last edited by justinr11; 10-18-2011 at 01:20 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinr11 View Post
You may no better than me, that was why I thought cell phones might be a little more recession proof. Best of luck sir
I can't believe I used "no" instead of "know". Best regards