Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mississippi Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Mississippi prison & criminal justice systems. This includes legislation & laws!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 PM

UPDATE:
A meeting will be held tomorrow OCT 6, 2009 w/ Mr Willie Simmons of the Corrections committee, Jackson MS -- We are presenting the signed appeal letters and discussing ideas for upcoming 2010 legislation in regards to this appeal

This is the first step to getting reform of some of the current laws in Mississippi for those incarcerated.

Thanks for all who have spent time,effort, money and postage to assist!
The Following User Says Thank You to msearp99 For This Useful Post:
Ms.Magnolia (10-11-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Exclamation Appeal Letter For All Mississippi Presions

I am requesting a copy of the Appeal letter for all Mississippi presions
Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Still Totally in Love
Donation Award 

The letter is in post #23 for you to copy and paste to send.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM

This is the letter of appeal -

--

A FORMAL PLEA

TO: THE GOVERNOR AND LEGISLATORS OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI
Comes now the citizens of this State, the imprisoned within the Mississippi Department of Corrections, families and friends, before the Honorable Haley Barbour, Governor; and the MDOC Administration, Mr. Christopher Epps, Commissioner; the Mississippi Legislature, Congressmen and Lawmakers and submit their humble plea to request that you please reinstate the old 10 YEAR MANDATORY SENTENCING LAW, Mississippi Code Annotated 1972 that was part of the law prior to 1995.
This law allowed certain violent crime offenders,especially first time offenders, and offenders with life sentences, to enjoy and exercise the alternative sentencing prison reform programs. "Violent crimes" referring to charges of possession of controlled substances with intent to distribute, sex crimes, murder, manslaughter, armed robbery, and robbery and other violent crimes. The previous law also allowed parole and/or probation and the earned time credit 30 days earned for 30 days worked, along with educational and work programs.
The reinstatement of this TEN YEAR MANDATORY SENTENCING LAW would alleviate the present prison overcrowding situation, and reduce the tax burden on the citizens of Mississippi.
It is our opinion; the current laws (post 1995) create a double standard for violent crime offenders. To support this opinion, the current law 85% truth in sentencing creates a double standard between the sect of non-violent and violent offender, this all depending on the sentence. Currently a violent offender charged after 1995 with murder and sentenced to life has no opportunity for parole and will not be allowed a release under the 85% law. Thus the offender who has a charge of the 'violent crime' of manslaughter will be allowed a release under the 85 % law, and partake of prison reform programs. The offender with murder for life is not allowed to enjoy alternative parole, probation, house arrest or a work program with credit. This law also prohibits sex offenders and first time offenders of violent crimes or offenders with a life sentence from participating in any of the available prison reform programs. We must wonder if the purpose of the TIS laws enacted on or around 1994 was an attempt to REDUCE crime and recidivism. If so, surely you can see this has NOT happened. As judged by the 2008 PEER report, rehabilitation and other means should be tried, because the TIS laws are not helping. It remains one of the major factors in our current prison over-crowding!
Our appeal to you is wouldn't it make sense to allow all incarcerated to have the incentive to rehabilitate? It is our opinion, the savings in the budget and positive results would produce a lesser tax burden and reduceovercrowding currently in MDOC.
Certainly the lawmakers of Mississippi did not intend for these mandatory sentencing laws to prohibit a first time offender, a first time violent offender or a habitual offender a chance at parole or probation. Is it the belief of the lawmakers that an inmate not be allowed to prove themselves worthy of release? Participating in the earned time, good time credit program or educational programs (GED, for example) would surely allow the offender a positive direction to pursue the opportunity for regained freedom. Family, loved ones, church family, and advocates would certainly support rehabilitation that would reduce the tax burden on this state.
Most of the incarcerated know they did wrong and simply want and need the chance to prove not only to you but to themselves that they can change and become good citizens of our state. Wouldn't Mississippi rather have rehabilitated individuals prove their worth, stay out of trouble, participate in educational, work and earned good time programs successfully as opposed to having the release of those who just sat back, did their time, learned nothing and achieved nothing? The current law offers no incentive or opportunity to change, learn and become a responsible citizen, thus creating recidivism.
We humbly ask that you review this double standard and realize that as of now there is no incentive for rehabilitation with the current laws. Most offenders know they made a mistake and certainly deserve punishment but we must wonder when does this punishment end? When do they get a chance to be a productive citizen again? Please help pass a Bill to reinstate the 10 YEAR MANDATORY LAW that would also allow first time violent offenders the opportunity to participate in prison reform programs, as well as the opportunity to obtain parole (after the 10 year mandatory time) and earned time credit.
Respectfully submitted,

--
COPY and paste it to your NEW document, print , mail it to:
MS Senate- Willie Simmons
PO Box 1018, Room 213 A
Jackson, MS 39215-1018

NOTE: make as many copies as you need to have signed to fwd to Mr. Simmons
Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 PM

I must apologize for not letting you guys know how things went in our meeting with Senator Simmons. He was receptive to our request, listened and asked questions. He also seemed supportive and agreeable that there certainly needs to be something done regarding the current laws.

That said, now is a very important time for each of you to be contacting your local Senators and House Representatives to support this proposed legislation. Senator Simmons did say he would not be able to author or co-author a bill if he did not have the support of others (Senators and Representative). He also made mention of an upcoming election year and that this will be a very hard piece of legislation to get passed. Please call your local Senator and House Rep, e-mail, and fax them regarding this legislation.

This is a positive thing; it's a step in the right direction. Now we just have to keep moving forward with it!

Keep those letters coming; we are all voters!

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM

In case this REPLY from Sondra was missed, we are continuing to ask you for your calls, mail and emails to your Representatives in Mississippi
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 PM

MISSISSIPPI CURE needs your support on encouraging the MS lawmakers to propose new legislation!!

Please read this thread and the "appeal letter" -- IF you support this please write, call or fax your House of Rep and Senators in Mississippi
Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 PM
FAITH8

When is the deadline for submittal?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 PM

There is no date for a deadline at time time. We are still working on getting feedback from the House and Senate members in Mississippi to see if they will support this type legislation or a version of it.

Feel free to copy / paste the appeal letter from the thread here , let me know you have signed copies , i'll get you an address to mail it/them.

Please keep in mind this is not a petition, it's an appeal to the politicians to propose legislation as noted in the letter.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 03:15 AM

My brother is currently in SMCI and will soon be transferred to Leake County Regional Facility so he will be closer to my parents who are both disabled. He has heard that new legislation has passed and would go into effect January 2010, which would reduce mandatory sentences to 85%. Has this actually passed as of yet? Is there any new information concerning this legislation?

If this has not yet passed, is this the letter we need to sign and mail in to help get this legislation passed? Thank you in advance for all of your help!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM

Hello Nawie2:

The letter is posted in this thread,
Yes, you can print it on one page, duplexed or on 2 pages.

Please mail it either to Senator Willie Simmons of the Corrections Commission at the STate office in Jackson or to Me. I can provide my mailing address if needed.

I am not aware of any new legislation to reduce mandatory sentencing to 85%. But anything is possible with the economics we are experiencing. Commissioner Epps of MDOC is in a urgent mandate by the GOV and tasked w/ controlling and reducing the MDOC annual budget. So we will see.

about the Laws and bills --- The new 2010 Session starts next week in Jackson with the legislators. New bills proposed can be viewed and activity watched at this link: http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/ We will ONLY know of new bills proposed when this link updates.

TO VIEW: scroll down to " bill status " , then to either " all measures" or " view by House Committee" you are looking for measures proposed by Corrections commission.

The complete roster of the members of the Corrections Commission is here: http://www.votesmart.org/committee.php?comm_id=10688

Feel Free to contact any of these members to ask for support for any ideas you may have including the appeal letter.

Mr Simmons is aware of the letter, he has seen it--- I am not sure or certain he shared it with all the committee members as he stated he would.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawie2 View Post
My brother is currently in SMCI and will soon be transferred to Leake County Regional Facility so he will be closer to my parents who are both disabled. He has heard that new legislation has passed and would go into effect January 2010, which would reduce mandatory sentences to 85%. Has this actually passed as of yet? Is there any new information concerning this legislation?

If this has not yet passed, is this the letter we need to sign and mail in to help get this legislation passed? Thank you in advance for all of your help!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM

Default Petition and update on proposed legislation

Nawie2:

Lisa is right; some updates: we have met with Senator Simmons who is the chairman of the Corrections Committee for the Senate. He is supportive of this legislation but needs another Senator to sponsor or co-sponsor this with him. We have asked that people contact their Senators; let them know that we have these petitions and we have suggestions for helping to correct the prison overcrowding problem.

As of now, we do not have anything to go before the Legislature in January. I've spoken with Senator Chassaniol through e-mail; she indicates that she has some legislation that she is going to be trying to push through in January but wouldn't share it with me. She did say she would speak with Senator Simmons regarding our proposal. The most important thing that people need to be doing right now is contacting their Senators, pushing for this legislation. If they don't know what you are talking about, e-mail or mail them a copy of the petition. Any petitions that you send to the Senators, please keep a copy of the signed ones so we can keep a count of how many we have. Lisa has some and I have some but we need to have a number once we meet with Senator Simmons again and/or can get someone to author or co-author something with him.

I have also met with Congressman Harper's representative seeking his support for this effort. I am to meet with them again in January with some additional information. This is a state level effort so we are simply seeking support from Congressman Harper. It would carry a lot of weight if we could get him to back us on this.

That is what is going on with this proposed legislation/petition. As for any new law to go into effect, I've not seen anything and Lisa is very good at staying on top of any new laws passing so I don't think that has actually happened. I'm thinking they are probably referring to this petition but our loved ones have to understand that this is just the beginning of the process. Signing the petitions is the first step; we now have to continue to get them signed and push forward for support from our Senators and House members.

I hope this answers some of your questions and also anyone else who needs updated information. The most important thing for us to be doing as voters in this coming year is to let them know that we support this change. Please feel free to contact me with any questions and I urge you and other to please contact your Senators.

Thanks!
Sondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by msearp99 View Post
Hello Nawie2:

The letter is posted in this thread,
Yes, you can print it on one page, duplexed or on 2 pages.

Please mail it either to Senator Willie Simmons of the Corrections Commission at the STate office in Jackson or to Me. I can provide my mailing address if needed.

I am not aware of any new legislation to reduce mandatory sentencing to 85%. But anything is possible with the economics we are experiencing. Commissioner Epps of MDOC is in a urgent mandate by the GOV and tasked w/ controlling and reducing the MDOC annual budget. So we will see.

about the Laws and bills --- The new 2010 Session starts next week in Jackson with the legislators. New bills proposed can be viewed and activity watched at this link: http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/ We will ONLY know of new bills proposed when this link updates.

TO VIEW: scroll down to " bill status " , then to either " all measures" or " view by House Committee" you are looking for measures proposed by Corrections commission.

The complete roster of the members of the Corrections Commission is here: http://www.votesmart.org/committee.php?comm_id=10688

Feel Free to contact any of these members to ask for support for any ideas you may have including the appeal letter.

Mr Simmons is aware of the letter, he has seen it--- I am not sure or certain he shared it with all the committee members as he stated he would.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:35 AM

Thank you Lisa & Sondra for all the information! I am printing letters and getting them signed! Do I need to mail them to Willie Simmons only or all members of the Corrections Committee. Is there anyone else I should mail these letters to? Thanks again for all the information!

Melanie
Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM

welcome!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 PM

PTO members, The new Legislation session begins Tomorrow, Jan 5 in Jackson MS. A bill can not become a law if it does not have support from this COMMISSION !! The bills must be proposed by Mid February to even stay "alive" and have a chance to move forward.

Please take 15 minutes out of your day and PRINT the Appeal letter noted earlier in this post, sign and mail a copy to EACH member of this list!!

WE need your support and help to get the members of the Correction Commission on board to support CHANGE of the current prison laws!

Please help us help the inmates!!!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 PM

Hello PTO MISSISSIPPI members--
I am appealing to you again to please take a few minutes to call , fax or email all members of the Corrections Committee asking for their support in legislation for this matter. These are Senators who can propose a bill, whether they sponsor or co-sponsor one. They will not even consider this if they do not hear from you!

The previous posts in this thread give links to the commission names. This will help you get the contact info for the Committee personally!

Your loved ones and others need you help to push our representatives!!

Here are a few points to help you along, whether you call, write , email or mail

You want them to support and co author a bill which:

>> will support the Mississippi CURE and their efforts in the recent Appeal Letter presented to Senator Willie Simmons. The points of the Appeal Letter are:

>> Reinstates the " 10 Year Mandatory sentence"
>> Allows the ETC ( Earned Time Credit, parole and /or probation)
>>Allows and updates all Educational and Work Programs
>>The Post 1995 laws created a double standard for violent offenders.
>>ex: the 85% TIS law ( truth in sentencing law), and depending on an inmates sentence, will NOT allow a violent offender any parole or any early release under this 85% law.
>>Currently a violent offender is NOT able to participate in prison reform programs! this is WRONG!
>>This TIS law also prevents First time and Sex crime offenders from participating in Prison Reform Programs.
>> The TIS law has NOT reduced prison population as it was designed to do.
>> The 2008 PEER report proves in statistics the TIS law has not worked for MS and has contributed to the continued increased MS prison population.

>> I want you to support and co-author a bill in 2010 that will :
  • include Reinstating the 10 year Mandatory sentence for offenders
  • including inmates in Rehabilitation, On site work and reform programs
  • include Halfway house programs( Federal funding is available!!)
  • reduce prison population that in turn will reduce the MS budget

NOTE: ask the person on the call to read your message back to you to be sure they took your message 100% accurately!

Thank you in advance! We only have a few more weeks for bills to be introduced!
Will you help!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 PM

PTO members:

Please take the time to review the appeal letter posted earlier in this thread-

MS CURE is planning a meeting w/ the MS CORRECTIONS COMMISSION this fall in Jackson MS- We would like your support in this appeal to our elected officials. We must show the Senators on this MS Commission that the public supports this change in the TIS sentencing laws.

Feel free to print this letter, send it to your loved one, asking them for their support also. Please ask them to make copies if they are able and share with other offenders. Please make your own copies and ask your family, and friends for support.

All signed appeal letters should be mailed to :

MS CURE
PO Box 97175
Pearl, MS 39288-7175

Thank you to those who have already mailed us many signed appeal letters! MS CURE will take these to the Senators and ask for their support in new legislation on your behalf.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Will pm you now! thanks for the reply
will this letter help my friend who is charged with a sex crime get out early
The Following User Says Thank You to DGgrl772 For This Useful Post:
smithdb2008 (11-06-2010)
Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Dgrl772 -- The appeal letter does not ask for a change in legislation regarding sex offenders crimes. It does ask for those offenders to be allowed to participate in the same rehabilitation programs as other offenders, for example: study programs, hold a job at a facility and such. let us know if you'd like a copy sent to you or you can print it from the list here. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to msearp99 For This Useful Post:
smithdb2008 (11-06-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Default Please send a would like to help with ms appeals

Quote:
If anyone here on forum wants a copy of the Current Prison Appeal Letter to sign or pass onto their loved one on the inside PLEASE PM me ----

Please state "appeal letter request " in subject of your PM

I will fax, email, or snail mail you the letter direct.
The letter is 2 pages, ( I duplex what I mail...)

How can you help???

You can help by either:
1) forwarding the letter into your loved one copied as many times as you can send per mailing guidelines or they can copy on the inside.
2) I can sent 15 -20 at a time to your loved one.
3) Sign and return your personal copy either to me or directly to the Representative in your area, preferably all representatives, ( there are appx 51 MS State Senators and at least double that in MS House of REPS)
4) OR All signed letters can come back to me direct. I will present them to the Legislators very soon on your behalf.

The appeal letter is worded as it's coming from prison advocates like me and you and from the inmate. It's not hard to understand nor worded fancy. It deals mostly with Violent offender matters. All offenders can benefit from several parts of the requested appeal, whether it be re-entry, parole or education provided while in prison.

THE MORE SIGNATURES WE HAVE TO PRESENT TO THE LEGISLATORS THE MORE POWERFUL THIS APPEAL WILL BE. Legislation began this week, so our leaders need to hear from us NOW!

PM me if you would like a copy and are willing to be an advocate for change and help us help our loved ones !!!

Please DO NOT post your personal information here on this thread!

Thank you for reading and your support!

MsEarp99
Madison MS
New Member of Mississippi CURE
Advocate for CMCF inmate
i would like to help
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 AM

Question Still accepting appeal letters?

Are they still accepting the appeal letters at this address? Is there a deadline date? I would like to send one and know of others I can ask too.
Thank you.

Quote:
PTO members:

Please take the time to review the appeal letter posted earlier in this thread-

MS CURE is planning a meeting w/ the MS CORRECTIONS COMMISSION this fall in Jackson MS- We would like your support in this appeal to our elected officials. We must show the Senators on this MS Commission that the public supports this change in the TIS sentencing laws.

Feel free to print this letter, send it to your loved one, asking them for their support also. Please ask them to make copies if they are able and share with other offenders. Please make your own copies and ask your family, and friends for support.

All signed appeal letters should be mailed to :
MS CURE
PO Box 97175
Pearl, MS 39288-7175

Thank you to those who have already mailed us many signed appeal letters! MS CURE will take these to the Senators and ask for their support in new legislation on your behalf.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 AM

tkk --
there is no deadline for the signed appeal letter to be forwarded to MS CURE or the Legislators of MS.

You can find the letter here on this thread at Post $23.,
just copy and paste it in to WORD and print. I will be 2 pages.
let me know if this does not work for you.

PM ME if you need too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkk View Post
Are they still accepting the appeal letters at this address? Is there a deadline date? I would like to send one and know of others I can ask too.
Thank you.