Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Default How much $$ inmates spend at commissary - Gurney Unit Texas Prison

You ladies should take a look at this website. I found it today and it's very interesting.

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-de...-commissaries/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lacey.Brianne For This Useful Post:
Hallwaywalker (06-30-2010), Lety_JDLO (07-31-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Waiting Patiently

wow that's crazy

Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Fascinating. I question the 30% markup - I think in some instances it's much higher, but hey.

This smacks of war profiteering, to me, to be honest...I mean, these guys don't have the opportunity to bargain shop, so they have a monopoly, and are ensured a profit. And I know without a doubt that the funds aren't poured back into the system. Oh HELL No. Give me a break. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday, thanks. Anyone who makes a profit off the misery of innocent people is morally bankrupt (and yes, I believe that some of the inmates are there wrongfully, and I know that many of the family members are innocent).

The mere fact that over 8 million dollars worth of ramen noodles are sold? Proof positive that there is a MASSIVE problem in TDCJ.

We are walking down the hall together, babe, one step at a time. I can see the door, and I can feel your hand in mine. I love you. You will always be my Firework.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hallwaywalker For This Useful Post:
artvandalay (07-28-2010), joybubby (07-12-2018)
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Waiting Patiently

i know right- i mean now we are able to send envelopes & paper probably cheaper for us than they pay in there- so they have $ to spend on snacks- which that isn't a good idea either- my husband tells me he got BIG- i can't wait to see him

Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnJRod06 View Post
i know right- i mean now we are able to send envelopes & paper probably cheaper for us than they pay in there- so they have $ to spend on snacks- which that isn't a good idea either- my husband tells me he got BIG- i can't wait to see him
It sounds like it's easy to get big in there - the food they serve is horrible, from what I hear, and then to replace the awful food (that frequently comes in containers that says "not fit for human consumption" I am not kidding) the only thing available is junk. Hubs has never been a big one for junk food, or sweets, fortunately, but he has always had a weight problem. Instead of getting bigger, he's lost what looks like 50 pounds. He went in with a big gut, and he's got no belly now. But he's living on 1/4 of a package of ramen noodles and tuna for a meal. Who wouldn't lose weight living in a sauna and eating crap like that?

Gah.

We are walking down the hall together, babe, one step at a time. I can see the door, and I can feel your hand in mine. I love you. You will always be my Firework.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Waiting Patiently

i know right- sux- but when they come back dat wat they want to eat noodles. weird- but yea i hear about the food- u in county at highland park they give them sonice- so i heard- dont know if it true but damn they get better food damn dallas county- are all inmates bald? my husband tells me he got bold once he got there. y?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
i know right- sux- but when they come back dat wat they want to eat noodles. weird- but yea i hear about the food- u in county at highland park they give them sonice- so i heard- dont know if it true but damn they get better food damn dallas county- are all inmates bald? my husband tells me he got bold once he got there. y?
It's part of the process of institutionalizing the prisoners. They make them cut off all their hair, all their facial hair, wear the same clothes, walk the same way, talk the same way - it's the process by which they are able to dehumanize and better control them.

Hubs showed me his id picture from when he first got there, and he looked like a serial axe murderer. SCARY. But now he's getting a little bit of hair back, and he looks a little more human. This is only the second time since I've known him that he has no facial hair, and omg he looks just like his mother. That is not a good look.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Waiting Patiently

Lol ur funny- i bet- this is also my 2nd time seen him bald as well since i've bein w/my husband- when i see will be my 3rd- i dont like it- he looks older.

Anywho i asked him to request the form for clm so we can have contact visits-

Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 PM
ILOVEMyINMATE.

When my dude toold me he has to be shaved bald i nearly freaked! Lol.i cant imagine him no other way then his fade w/ waves...bt hopefully by the time i see him he has hair, & wat does clm mean if u dont mind me askin
Quote:
Lol ur funny- i bet- this is also my 2nd time seen him bald as well since i've bein w/my husband- when i see will be my 3rd- i dont like it- he looks older.

Anywho i asked him to request the form for clm so we can have contact visits-