Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the South Carolina prison system.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM
AmyLynn

I seen a video that leaked out from someones cell phone in there. It was beyond horrible.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:34 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,305 Times in 2,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I just saw this story in my fb news feed as well.
Heartbreaking.
Im so sorry for everyone who's lost a loved one, and for everyone really.
How scary.
I wont repost the story I saw but it did have a blurb at the end that another inmate was killed in Feb. (maybe that had something to do with it?)
Yes, I believe I shared that incident when it happened but it's all unrelated, just occurring at the same location. Matter of fact, that's still under investigation by state law enforcement officials as with too many others to list.

If my count is correct, since 2016-17, roughly 20 men have lost their lives in SCDC. Some didn't make the news blurbs. Yet, they keep blaming cell phones and the need to install jammers.
gvalliant (04-17-2018), patchouli (04-17-2018), sidewalker (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,290 Times in 14,282 Posts

they keep saying that too here in CA. (about jammers, but I dont think the guards want that to happen.....)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
choclgs (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:20 AM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
If my count is correct, since 2016-17, roughly 20 men have lost their lives in SCDC. Some didn't make the news blurbs. Yet, they keep blaming cell phones and the need to install jammers.
Those numbers should make any decent human being sick. No matter the reason for being incarcerated, no one deserves to live in fear of their life.

To state in a news conference it's about cell phones etc. That is speculation. That is irresponsible. It is not possible to know reasons yet. They have not had time to properly investigate. Police in the outside world would never make conclusive statements like that to the press days after a riot / mass murder. They just do not do that.

Prison officials quick to put all blame on inmates and circumvent further investigation that would put some blame on them. And maybe getting away with it. Hope some neutral outside group, and not the prison system, looks into this. Meaningful reform is needed. They have to keep inmates safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-01-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:16 AM
AmyLynn

Just a question. If they proceed with this jammers idea wouldn't it affect peoples signal that live close to the prisons?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Those numbers should make any decent human being sick. No matter the reason for being incarcerated, no one deserves to live in fear of their life.

To state in a news conference it's about cell phones etc. That is speculation. That is irresponsible. It is not possible to know reasons yet. They have not had time to properly investigate. Police in the outside world would never make conclusive statements like that to the press days after a riot / mass murder. They just do not do that.

Prison officials quick to put all blame on inmates and circumvent further investigation that would put some blame on them. And maybe getting away with it. Hope some neutral outside group, and not the prison system, looks into this. Meaningful reform is needed. They have to keep inmates safe.
Sadly those who vote our leadership in office are the main ones who don't see those incarcerated as humans and feel the current conditions they endure in survival mode each day is what they are deserving up because "they're in prison". We all know the Jane and Joe Public beliefs that the incarcerated are living it up with their tax dollars and no amount of visual proof will give them a change of heart.

After these deaths, many believe the same sentiment as our governor state and that's shameful. Mind you he received that position by default, he was not elected and lost at many attempts to be so in the past. IF he doesn't believe in reform, why should the people he represents do so? That's what we fight in this little state whose prison population in comparison to the state population is mind boggling!
Krissi11 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Carolina traveler

Default The latest press conference

http://www.wistv.com/story/37975994/...w-prisons-work
gvalliant (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 PM
Krissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe81 View Post
Just a question. If they proceed with this jammers idea wouldn't it affect peoples signal that live close to the prisons?

I’m not sure about the signal of those who live close to the prison but I do know one reason they will not install the hammers or any other cell signal blocker is because it would interfere with signal for the entire prison staff having signal also which in cases like this awful event that happened at Lee county this past weekend, there would be a delay in contacting the rapid response team/sending messages out in emergencies etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Krissi11 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 04:30 AM
AmyLynn

I'm just saddened beyond means with the several videos that have leaked out from inside during the riot. By the time rapid response team got in there hours later inmates bled out.

Choc....I retract my statement about cell phones. SCDC has a bigger issue on their hands. I feel they failed these inmates.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:47 PM
Carolina traveler

Default Outside investigation

As of today, an outside investigation is being completed after the April 15 incident at Lee Correctional.
Krissi11 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 02:12 PM
AmyLynn

It will prolly be awhile. This was a huge tragedy.
Krissi11 (04-19-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,612 Times in 14,970 Posts

Quote:
I want to stress to everyone that this had NOTHING to do with cell phones. That's the same smokescreen used to not address the actual problems within the prison system here.

This particular situation has nothing to do with contraband.

We are a small family of many in the world of incarceration. Yesterday was emotionally draining, and many of us relied upon each other via text messages and social media for comfort and support, especially those who have loved ones at Lee.

What was shared in the press conference was shameful yet not surprising.

What hurt the most is many found out the status of their loved ones via social media, not from anyone at the prison.

It wasn't until this morning that I realized they are calling this the worst riot in the past 25 years

As expected, many are on modified lockdown until this passes.

Thank each of your for your concerns and support, it's appreciated and shared.
Found this opinion piece in my FB feed this morning....very enlightening, and so very sad

How a South Carolina Prison Riot Really Went Down

At a news conference on April 16, Bryan Stirling, the director of the South Carolina Department of Corrections, tried to explain why seven men had been stabbed to death and many more had been severely injured by their fellow prisoners at the Lee Correctional Institution. A fight had broken out the night before between rival gangs over “territory, contraband and cellphones,” Mr. Stirling said, and the priority now was to jam all illegal cellphones in the state’s prison system.

According to the many emails, calls and texts I have received this week from inside South Carolina’s prisons, however, this account is misleading, and to clamp down even harder on the men inside would be a terrible mistake.

Read entire article HERE.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-01-2018), Krissi11 (05-01-2018), miamac (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Owned

Thanked 3,981 Times in 1,825 Posts

“They argue that officials could eliminate the contraband problem simply by allowing cigarettes and cellphones to be sold in the canteen”

Sell cigarettes and cellphones?!?!?

With as bad as things are in prisons somebody actually thinks cigarettes might improve things?

That sort of comment does nothing to increase public empathy.
ItsMe81 (05-01-2018), miamac (05-01-2018), patchouli (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,011 Times in 6,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
“They argue that officials could eliminate the contraband problem simply by allowing cigarettes and cellphones to be sold in the canteen”

Sell cigarettes and cellphones?!?!?

With as bad as things are in prisons somebody actually thinks cigarettes might improve things?

That sort of comment does nothing to increase public empathy.
I agree. I flinched when I read that. There were good arguments to be made, that wasn't one of them.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Owned

Yes, that was my reaction too.

Better food, health care, education, sanitation, recreation - I’m all for those, but as long as somebody feels cigarettes are going to make prison less bad than I fear they’re dooming them self.

And who will pay for them? MANY inmates have families barely getting by as is and the added expense of supporting smoking, to me, is very selfish.
patchouli (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Krissi

At least someone had finally reported the TRUTH about what actually lead to the incident at lee county...who cares about their suggestions of adding cell phones and cigarettes to canteen. They are both smuggled in and people make large sums of money for helping get contraband of all kinds inside the prisons and what’s pathetic is that the higher ups at SCDC as well as state government officials have known for over 10 years that cell phones and contraband were getting inside to inmates and only increasing the amounts year by year AND THEY CHOSE TO DO NOTHING ABOUT IT...until now and I honestly believe the only reason they’ll do something is because it became national news and they can’t play dumb and blame inmate deaths on the inmates themselves
Old 05-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Owned

I care about their suggestion of cigarettes and cell phones!

I care because I feel as long as they’re making inane suggestions for prison improvements nobody is going to take them seriously. I care because suggesting those things trivializes real issues. I care because the suggestion of spending money on cigarettes, to me, is useless.

With as bad as SC prisons are, with as many improvements are need? Smoking counts as a plus? Not to me and I was an inmate.

I’ve given my thoughts on the article and will add nothing more.
ItsMe81 (05-01-2018), miamac (05-01-2018), patchouli (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:15 PM
AmyLynn

I agree. What about the idea of not housing rival gang members together like LEE was doing? Just one idea over adding cigs and cell phones to commisary. Doc's will get a kick back $$ from such items. Terrible idea and all its doing is attempting to throw a bandaid over the real issues.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissi11 View Post
...who cares about their suggestions of adding cell phones and cigarettes to canteen. They are both smuggled in and people make large sums of money for helping get contraband of all kinds inside the prisons and what’s pathetic is that the higher ups at SCDC as well as state government officials have known for over 10 years that cell phones and contraband were getting inside to inmates and only increasing the amounts year by year AND THEY CHOSE TO DO NOTHING ABOUT IT...
The reason it matters is because it shows where the focus of that person is and a lack of awareness. It also smacks of entitlement-- the thing that usually lands a person in prison to begin with. That hurts the message that needs to come out of this tragedy. Contraband is smuggled into every facility across the country and they're not seeing this kind of carnage over it. The infrastructure that allowed a 7 hour riot without an appropriate SRT-style response has zero to do with cigarettes. And frankly, if my husband or son died on a tier and what came of that was Marlboro's in the canteen instead of proper training, healthcare, dietary or education, that's a disgrace.

Last edited by miamac; 05-01-2018 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-01-2018), safran (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Carolina traveler

The underlying fact that continues to be ignored by everyone offering their opinion is more men died. Exactly a year before these men were killed at Lee, four others were killed at Kirkland and many more who didn't make front page news died between April 2017 and April 2018. For those of us who have loved ones at these institutions, it was another sleepless night waiting to hear if our families and friends were among the dead. With social media, the information that was being shared without regard to who may see it, makes it even longer.

The South Carolina Department of Corrections is very aware that this is not an issue of contraband. This is an issue of classification and housing, overcrowding, inadequate staff---be they unqualified and properly trained to manage a disturbance, the ratio of officers to offenders, and the response time it takes for the teams to arrive from Columbia, the removal of educational programs, volunteers being turned away, and discontinued job training at the Level 2 (medium) and Level 3 (maximum) institutions. But this is constantly disregarded by local news media who replay nightly the "contraband" tale to be shared by others across the nation.

My hope is when this season passes, what needs to take place to change what's happening in South Carolina state prison system isn't another "Breaking News" event as others in the past, and people are ready to make the corrective measures to prevent more names from being added to this tragic list.
miamac (05-01-2018), patchouli (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
The underlying fact that continues to be ignored by everyone offering their opinion is more men died.[...]

The South Carolina Department of Corrections is very aware that this is not an issue of contraband. This is an issue of classification and housing, overcrowding, inadequate staff---be they unqualified and properly trained to manage a disturbance, the ratio of officers to offenders, and the response time it takes for the teams to arrive from Columbia, the removal of educational programs, volunteers being turned away, and discontinued job training at the Level 2 (medium) and Level 3 (maximum) institutions. But this is constantly disregarded by local news media who replay nightly the "contraband" tale to be shared by others across the nation.
[...]
Quote:
We all know the Jane and Joe Public beliefs that the incarcerated are living it up with their tax dollars and no amount of visual proof will give them a change of heart.
I think that's why the author's choice to include an inmate quote regarding cell phones and cigarettes was so misguided. They had an opportunity to focus on loss of life, the grossly inadequate staffing, but it was undermined, and thereby feeding Jane and Joe Public's opinion regarding inmate welfare, with that small bit of narrative.

Choclgs, I have only known a handful of times where I can even pretend to know what it must be like to have a loved one living in these conditions. By a few years, I missed California's severe overcrowding era that allowed gladiator yards to flourish. They're still here, but not to the same degree and not with the fundamental failures that SC is working under. My heart goes out to you and the loved ones who wait and pray. This cannot be an easy thing to watch play out in a public space when the consequences are so deeply personal.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-02-2018)