Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:05 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,647 Times in 13,033 Posts

Here's all of the different ways to deposit money to a federal prisoner's phone/commissary/email account.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

US Postal money orders are the least expensive and they are the only MOs that aren't held for 15 days. Electronic deposits (WU) are posted quickly and are available to the inmate right away, but they are more expensive.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here are the ways to add money to a federal prisoner's phone/commissary/email account. US Postal money orders are the least expensive, and they are the only money orders that aren't held for 15 days.

Electronic deposits (WU) are available right away, but they are more expensive.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanked 1,621 Times in 817 Posts

My husband's lawyer said it is ok to bring cash (around $500) in with him to the camp to get started.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It is OK to bring money when you first enter federal prison. The problem I encountered was that the money wasn't posted to my inmate account for nearly a month. To be able to shop at the commissary, or to make prepaid phone calls, we had to send money to the Des Moines lockbox (where all account records are maintained) by western union. Otherwise I would have had to wait for the money I brought with me to finally become available.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:58 PM

Thanked 1,464 Times in 799 Posts

I believe you. But let's not get so used to the system that we forget it's bizarre to walk in with cash and then not have it credited for a month.
fbopnomore (10-28-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 10:47 PM

If you don’t walk in with cash, what’s the earliest you can send it to ensure it’s in your account when you get there and can have access to it right away for commissary items? My husband will be arriving no matter what camp he is assigned to in the dead of winter and will need to buy some warm items immediately. I guess I can have him take cash and send in money and what’s extra just rolls into the following months. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
If you donít walk in with cash, whatís the earliest you can send it to ensure itís in your account when you get there and can have access to it right away for commissary items? My husband will be arriving no matter what camp he is assigned to in the dead of winter and will need to buy some warm items immediately. I guess I can have him take cash and send in money and whatís extra just rolls into the following months. Better safe than sorry.

That is what we did... He went in with $200 and the day he surrendered I sent $300 via Western Union. 1st month costs the most.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:01 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I have read posts that say money can be deposited as soon as your name and bop ID number appear on the inmate locator.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I have read posts that say money can be deposited as soon as your name and bop ID number appear on the inmate locator.
So if he's on the BOP inmate locator now, even without knowing where he's going we can send in something?
Old 10-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes. You can mail a US Post Office money order, or deposit money electronically.

His inmate account will exist physically in Des Moines, Iowa, and will be available for his use in any bop owned prison and it will follow him if he is moved. If he is sent to a privately owned prison instead, he will need to get the account transferred to that private prison.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Mr & Mrs Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrhino View Post
seems their are many questions that continue to show up over and over. This is one of them. In an effort to help everyone figure out the answers i wll offer the following:

when surrendering , you can bring as much money as you feel comfortable with; however, if you have restitution or fines you may want to do a search on my name and investigate my information on the ifrp (inmate financial responsibility program).

if this is not an issue... You will be allowed to spend $290.00 /mnth for commissary. phones will be $69.00/mnth for 300 long distance minutes (does not count as part of the $290.00 commissary).
rates are .23 cents/min long distance and .06 cents/min for local calls.
stamps will be unlimited and do not count toward your $290.00/mnth commissary but will be limited to about 20 at a time).

As for items allowed at surrender, the only items you will be allowed to bring inside with you will be empty presription bottles of your current medications (resucue inhalers if applicable are the only medication that is an exception to the no meds rule), a soft cover religous text, a religious medallion valued under $50.00(no stones), a plain wedding band (no stones), 1 pair of ear rings (simple studs or small hoops and again no stones) valued under $50.00, 1 pair of glasses and/or any dental appliances, a limited amount of legal papers that pertain to your case, and either a money order or cash for the commissary. Keep in mind some institutions are refusing to accept funds directly. You may want to contact your destination for their particular policy. All other items will be collected and mailed home.

keep the faith

michael

at butner fci you can not bring any money in i had to take my boyfriend's money back home with me
Old 05-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Bringing money when self surrendering can become a problem at some bop prisons. The money I brought when I was remanded took over 3 weeks to eventually find its way into my inmate account. I guess I was lucky that it ever did.

By the way, the details in the old post are no longer current. Long distance phone rates are now 21 cents/min and commissary monthly spending limits are higher too.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseandmischa View Post
What about shoes do they allow???And if I pay my huge fines will they reduce my restitution...I haven't been sentenced yet
Last year they changed the Court Fines from min $100 to min $5000. I have been directed to pay $5100. Which I did, imy lawyer advised ts best to pay up front if you can, otherwise they will take it from your Unicor work pay or commissary account.

Black & white sneakers under $100, I have gray & whit and have been told they won't allow them. Flip flops are normally allowed, or you can buy in Comsy.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Newly Sentenced, Self Surrender approved by Judge.

I was just sentenced to 60 months, (that was mandatory minimum) requested and received Self Surrender asked for either Forrest City, Ar Low or Ashland, Ky Low. Brother residence in Ky. My legal residence is Hawaii heard horror stories on FDC Honolulu so didn;t ask for it. Couple questions:

I have my inmate 8 digit number, but don't know where I will go yet, how long does this usually take to be classified??

I have been told I can only go to a Low Security or above, no Minimum. Can BOP override this and send me to a Camp??

First offender, non-violent, 69 yo. I think I will have a low number classification, PSR was very good, judge even said her hands were tied, otherwise she would have given me much less.

Judge ordered RDAP, 3 years Supervised release in Hawaii, my legal residence.

Thanx, good site, interesting conversations.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

You will receive a "public safety factor" which means you will never be housed in any prison with a lower security level then "Low". The bop does have a couple of satellite prisons for men that are classified as low security. the camp at Elkton, and a "satellite low security prison" at LaTuna. The chances to be designated to either one are extremely unlikely. The bop has begun sending high concentrations of sex offenders to the same low or medium security prisons, which is a very good thing for those prisoners.

You should receive your self surrender instructions within a month or so, after the designation center in Grand Prairie Texas decides where they will send you. It is a huge benefit that your judge allowed you to self surrender, most judges won't.

The judge's RDAP request, along with her preferred prison locations will be considered as a "recommendation" by the bop, not a requirement. RDAP placement will be decided by the staff at your prison so if you do want to participate, you will have to convince them that you had a substance abuse problem (any substance will do) during the 12 months before you committed your crime. If one is included in your presentence investigation report, you will automatically qualify. RDAP is not easy to successfully complete. Here is a link to the RDAP psychology program statement.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5330_011.pdf

At age 69, you may not even be the oldest prisoner in your housing unit. The most important thing in how you will be received by the other inmates and staff is how you act. Being old can be either a benefit, or the exact opposite. Inmate etiquette is extremely important, especially until you develop a circle of friends who will look out for each other. Here's a 2 page link to help you understand how to get through your sentence with minimum problems.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=592193
Old 09-16-2019, 02:06 AM

Just a quick note about what fpobnomore mentioned about Elkton. I have kept in contact with someone there at the satellite camp. He has told me that the satellite facility is really down in inmate numbers now due to many being released with the first step act. So much so, that in one of the units there are no longer people on the top bunks. So according to him, everyone there now has bottom bunk assignments (if they want a bottom bunk).
The Following User Says Thank You to Fockwulf For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-16-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 05:50 PM

[quote=fbopnomore;7793844]You will receive a "public safety factor" which means you will never be housed in any prison with a lower security level then "Low". The bop does have a couple of satellite prisons for men that are classified as low security. the camp at Elkton, and a "satellite low security prison" at LaTuna. The chances to be designated to either one are extremely unlikely. The bop has begun sending high concentrations of sex offenders to the same low or medium security prisons, which is a very good thing for those prisoners.

You should receive your self surrender instructions within a month or so, after the designation center in Grand Prairie Texas decides where they will send you. It is a huge benefit that your judge allowed you to self surrender, most judges won't.

The judge's RDAP request, along with her preferred prison locations will be considered as a "recommendation" by the bop, not a requirement. RDAP placement will be decided by the staff at your prison so if you do want to participate, you will have to convince them that you had a substance abuse problem (any substance will do) during the 12 months before you committed your crime. If one is included in your presentence investigation report, you will automatically qualify. RDAP is not easy to successfully complete. Here is a link to the RDAP psychology program statement.

At age 69, you may not even be the oldest prisoner in your housing unit. The most important thing in how you will be received by the other inmates and staff is how you act. Being old can be either a benefit, or the exact opposite. Inmate etiquette is extremely important, especially until you develop a circle of friends who will look out for each other. Here's a 2 page link to help you understand how to get through your sentence with minimum problems.

2/10/19 Well, the waiting is over - 3 weeks after sentencing I have been 'designated' to Forrest City Low self surrender date of 25 October 2019. Anyone with up to date information on Forrest City Low, it will be appreciated, like if money order is allowed to bring with me for deposit - will also send WU to Iowa. My PSR and psych eval has a lot of alcohol abuse notations, including a stmt that it was contributing to my charge, hopefully I will qualify for RDAP attendance. It was one of the factors of selecting Forrest City as one of facilities we asked the Judge for. Hope I made a good choice. I was looking for a Forrest City Low page but nothing much in the way of any new information. Seems to be a lot about Forrest City Medium - if you can direct me to a link in PT I'd appreciate it. Thanx in advance
Old 10-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I have my BOP ID Number, my name pops up but for location it says "Unknown - Not in BOP Custody" I have been designated to Forrest City Low, but I haven't surrendered yet. Wonder if I can still send money in advance?? or do I just take a chance.

Been reading and believe the first month is the most expensive, and winter is right around the corner.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Once you have your bop inmate ID number, you can fund your commissary, phone, email account. The least expensive way is to mail a US Post Office money order to the lockbox in Des Moines, IA, about a week before your self surrender date. Any other MO will be held for 15 days, Western Union also makes the funds available immediately.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettim View Post
I have my BOP ID Number, my name pops up but for location it says "Unknown - Not in BOP Custody" I have been designated to Forrest City Low, but I haven't surrendered yet. Wonder if I can still send money in advance?? or do I just take a chance.

Been reading and believe the first month is the most expensive, and winter is right around the corner.
Are you going to have someone on the outside that will be sending you money? As fbopnomore stated the cheapest way is a money order. However, I send my husband money through Western Union... it's costs more but it's fast and easy. After he SS we went to a bank in Forrest City to send it and that lady didn't know what she was doing!! But we got it straightened out after we went to a grocery store in town. After that I put the WU app on my phone and I send $50 at a time.... I make like 3 clicks and it's on it's way. It gets there in 2-4 hours so I email him that I've sent it and he emails me that he got it. The money order is mailed to Iowa and when they get it it hits your account. I just feel safer sending it WU, but that's just me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
Are you going to have someone on the outside that will be sending you money? As fbopnomore stated the cheapest way is a money order. However, I send my husband money through Western Union... it's costs more but it's fast and easy. After he SS we went to a bank in Forrest City to send it and that lady didn't know what she was doing!! But we got it straightened out after we went to a grocery store in town. After that I put the WU app on my phone and I send $50 at a time.... I make like 3 clicks and it's on it's way. It gets there in 2-4 hours so I email him that I've sent it and he emails me that he got it. The money order is mailed to Iowa and when they get it it hits your account. I just feel safer sending it WU, but that's just me.
Yes, I will send a Money Order a few days before I SS, then a WU to tide me over. My brother thinks WU is expensive, whats the charge for WU if you don't mind me asking. The WU site wants you to actually send the money before you know what the charge is.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettim View Post
Yes, I will send a Money Order a few days before I SS, then a WU to tide me over. My brother thinks WU is expensive, whats the charge for WU if you don't mind me asking. The WU site wants you to actually send the money before you know what the charge is.
I think I pay like 6.75 when I send 50$. I think I paid 8 something when I sent 100.00 the first time. I just like knowing the speed it gets there.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

If you will be using Western Union frequently, they have a rewards program where you can earn credits towards future fees. Be sure to tell them you want to use your points at the beginning (not the end) of the transaction.
https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/mywu.htmlBasically
Old 10-09-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
If you will be using Western Union frequently, they have a rewards program where you can earn credits towards future fees. Be sure to tell them you want to use your points at the beginning (not the end) of the transaction.
https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/mywu.htmlBasically
Yes. I do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-10-2019)