Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 12-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Default Phone information for Statesville

My friend will be transferred to Joliet on Monday after sentencing. He will be there for a few weeks while they observe him and determine where his permanent facility will be. A few questions:

1. While in Cook County, he didn't really have an approved phone list. We just set up an account through Securus. Is it different in Statesville? What does he need to do?

2. Does Statesville allow calls to cell phones? I read not all facilities do.

3. I read a post on here that they do not have access to the commissary when they first get to Statesville? Any info on that? I want to be able to tell him what to expect.

His lawyer is good in court but absolutely no help when it comes to finding out these things!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2016, 01:30 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,313 Times in 13,653 Posts

Illinois state prisons use Securus. The DOC webpage does state that you will have to be on the inmate's calling list, so your loved one will have to add you / your number to his list. Securus does allow calls to cell phones but that number will have to be on his list.

The DOC page also states:

Note: Securus is the only service provider for inmate phone services being used by the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC). There are reports of friends and family setting up accounts with companies other than Securus for phone service with IDOC inmates. Please ensure that you are setting up accounts with Securus Technologies as accounts with other companies could be blocked.​​​

https://www.illinois.gov/idoc/commun...eServices.aspx

EDIT: FYI: Attorney's, for the most part, know nothing about the prison system.
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
SDL999 (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 07:04 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDL999 View Post
My friend will be transferred to Joliet on Monday after sentencing. He will be there for a few weeks while they observe him and determine where his permanent facility will be. A few questions:

1. While in Cook County, he didn't really have an approved phone list. We just set up an account through Securus. Is it different in Statesville? What does he need to do?

2. Does Statesville allow calls to cell phones? I read not all facilities do.

3. I read a post on here that they do not have access to the commissary when they first get to Statesville? Any info on that? I want to be able to tell him what to expect.

His lawyer is good in court but absolutely no help when it comes to finding out these things!
In Stateville, he most likely won't be able to call you since he's in reception. They'll spend most of their time in a 2-person cell and not get calls/visits. I think they'll only get those if he's there over 60 days. It's good though that you got yourself set up with Securus though so that when he does get moved, you'll be ready to go. As soon as he gets to his "home prison", he can set up a phone list and hopefully that'll get approved ASAP. They say to expect up to 30 days, but for what it's worth, it's never taken that long for my fiance's phone list to get approved. (He's transferred twice.)

Illinois does allow calls to cell phones, thankfully, because I don't have a landline anymore lol. Both Taylorville and Robinson do for sure, but I'm almost certain all facilities in Illinois do...but I could be wrong.

That is definitely true about him not getting commisary in Stateville. Unless he spends a ton of time there, chances are he won't get commissary. If you write him anything or send him any books/magazines, chances are he won't get them until he's transferred to his home prison. Mail is very slow with Stateville, and it'll be the hardest part for you two. I really hate to say it, and I'm not saying it to scare you...just to warn you so you know what to expect. My fiance was there in 2012 for only 12 days, so luckily it wasn't too long, but I definitely didn't get to talk to him or see him until he got to his prison. What you can do though is sign up for VineLINK. This will send you a call or text (whichever you pick) as SOON as he is moved. It updates faster than the IDOC site, so you won't have to wait until midnight to find out if he's gone like you would if you relied solely on the IDOC website.

Good luck with everything and if you have more questions, please feel free to ask me!

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to blah8705 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-10-2016)