Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Donation Award 

Default Medications in Prison

My son was incarcerated yesterday. He has a 15 month sentence to complete. I am new to this prison thing as he is the first person I know that has been incarcerated. My son has epilepsy, and we did everything possible to make the prison aware of the medications he has to take for his seizures. He called me, and said they will not give him one of them. His doctor says he can not be taken off this medicine abruptly. He will have withdrawals that can kill him. Also, without the medication he will have seizures which also can kill him. Does anyone know what I can do about this? Would contacting our state rep help? Please, I am desperate!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,909 Times in 10,215 Posts

Was a different medication substituted? I couldn't locate the actual PA DOC RX formulary on line, and having it would allow his doctor to tell you if there is an alternate formulary medication that can be safely substituted for the one they took away.

My first step would be to file an inmate grievance, in writing, requesting the resumption of that medication, and asking for a copy of the formulary. Then continue signing up for sick call to discuss it with the medical staff. If they refuse to help, then a contact with a politician might help.

Here's a link to the PA law regarding prison medical care.
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/03...93/s93.12.html

The Pennsylvania Prison Society in Philadelphia may have other suggestions too.
http://www.prisonsociety.org/

Last edited by fbopnomore; 05-11-2016 at 08:25 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-11-2016), sidewalker (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 08:31 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,066 Times in 12,915 Posts

I dont have any answers for you but just wanted to say Im so sorry.
Im sure you are worried sick over this.
I hope that for your son's sake, he can manage with the meds they are giving him, or the prison wises up and keeps him on his current meds.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Raspus32 (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,453 Times in 7,023 Posts

Make sure he signs a HIPPA release form so his doctor can talk with the prison.

Would have been good to have his medical records as part of his records before he went into prison.

If he's on any of your standard seizure meds, he shouldn't have a problem if he follows the procedure to get meds started. If he's on a benzo he's going to have a ton of trouble getting the drug.

He does need to follow the procedure - he needs to put in a request to see medical and talk about his medical needs with the clinic there. If he hasn't put in a request for medical, there's a good chance medical knows nothing about it and he's relying on a guard's medical knowledge balanced against the guard being pissed off that your son's not doing what he's supposed to do to see medical.

Encourage your son to read his inmate handbook and know the rules better than the guards - it can really help when it comes to dancing through the rules and regulations to get what he needs.

He should also sign a HIPPA at the clinic so the clinic can talk with his doctors about his care.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-11-2016), sidewalker (05-23-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Make sure he signs a HIPPA release form so his doctor can talk with the prison.

Would have been good to have his medical records as part of his records before he went into prison.

If he's on any of your standard seizure meds, he shouldn't have a problem if he follows the procedure to get meds started. If he's on a benzo he's going to have a ton of trouble getting the drug.

He does need to follow the procedure - he needs to put in a request to see medical and talk about his medical needs with the clinic there. If he hasn't put in a request for medical, there's a good chance medical knows nothing about it and he's relying on a guard's medical knowledge balanced against the guard being pissed off that your son's not doing what he's supposed to do to see medical.

Encourage your son to read his inmate handbook and know the rules better than the guards - it can really help when it comes to dancing through the rules and regulations to get what he needs.

He should also sign a HIPPA at the clinic so the clinic can talk with his doctors about his care.
Problem is I have no way of talking to him to tell him what you said. He is in a County Jail until they move him to State. I have a call into his attorney who's paralegal says she has a call into the warden, and is awaiting a call back. I heard nothing from her today, and this will be the second day without the meds. I will call his doctor tomorrow to see how long it takes for withdrawals to start. Hopefully, we have enough time. The warden was given a letter from the doctor stating he must have the meds, or he will have withdrawal, and seizures which will cause his death. I can't believe they are withholding his meds. Is the warden and idiot, or has he not read the letter!? Thank you for your response.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM

Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,439 Posts

Wardens have little, if any, control over medical personnel and decisions. The doctor needs to be communicating DIRECTLY with medical staff. The unit staff are not going to listen to you- you are not a doctor. Certainly you know what you have been told on this particular medication, but the reality is that unless an MD is talking to an MD, nothing is going to be accomplished in a timely manner.

The best thing to do is, first thing in the AM, have his free-world doctor getting on the phone to find out what the agency requires in the way of documents and where they should be sent.

The other thing that is confusing is that you say the Warden is denying medications yet you then say he is in a County Jail awaiting transfer. Sheriffs generally oversee County Jail operations, with some having in-house medical and others using third-party contract medical. Prisons are an entirely different entity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (05-12-2016), yourself (05-11-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 05:52 PM
Donation Award 

Smile I saw him. He's good!

I finally got to see my son, and he is getting a different medication, and was monitored while coming off the other one. He seems to be doing good. He said being in the room they kept him in while he was being watched was depressing, and he was finally taken from there last night. He was so excited when he called me saying he felt good, and was able to be out of his cell for a few hours. He will be at county for a few months before he goes to state. I feel so much better now, and thank all of you that responded to my original message. You all helped me more then you know!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raspus32 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-23-2016), sidewalker (05-23-2016), yourself (05-22-2016)