Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,321 Times in 2,251 Posts
Default Visitation: leaving and coming back

I'm in probably a rare situation in that I'm responsible for making sure my mom (who has dementia) gets where she needs to go.

So if we go to visitation, and I enter the room with her to make sure she's settled in okay, will they allow me to leave the visitation room to give them some time alone, then re-enter the room later as long as I stay in the waiting area? Or would I need to come back for the second visitation to be able to see my dad without my mom present?

I need to talk to him about their estate situation and I need to do it without my mom present. I'll go back for the second visitation if I need to, but my mom usually runs out of things to talk about in 30 min or so. It would be really nice if I could go back in and talk to him after she comes out.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Thanked 1,725 Times in 854 Posts

Out of the three prisons I have visited; OSP, OSCI and Powder River, they do not allow you to come out of any visit and go back in. Once you are in the visiting room, if you leave, your visit is over, until the next one. I may be way off base, but I have not heard of this happening.

I have seen people be turned away for improper clothing, but they were not yet in visitation. They were able to go and change and then come back.

I am not certain they will make an acception for you, so you can probably bank on going to the second visit to speak with you father.

Peace~
GingerM (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I'm in probably a rare situation in that I'm responsible for making sure my mom (who has dementia) gets where she needs to go.

So if we go to visitation, and I enter the room with her to make sure she's settled in okay, will they allow me to leave the visitation room to give them some time alone, then re-enter the room later as long as I stay in the waiting area? Or would I need to come back for the second visitation to be able to see my dad without my mom present?

I need to talk to him about their estate situation and I need to do it without my mom present. I'll go back for the second visitation if I need to, but my mom usually runs out of things to talk about in 30 min or so. It would be really nice if I could go back in and talk to him after she comes out.
Normally they do not allow you to go out and come back in. Once you are there, you are there. There are a range of security reasons for this (and whether or not those reasons are valid I'll choose not to comment on).

All of this depends on the facility you are at. If you have some special need, you should call in advance, talk to the OOD (Officer of the Day) and get permission or approval for some kind of special arrangement (such as what you are suggesting).

And, they may allow it once - but won't want to make a habit of it. There are too many attempts at shenanigans in the visiting area for them to tolerate much deviation from the established practices. Years ago it would have been no problem...

When you find out where he is finally sent, post a note - or PM me, and I'll track down the phone number (and possibly the person) you need to speak with.
GingerM (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,321 Times in 2,251 Posts

Thank you both. Sentencing is supposed to be Thursday or Friday of this week. I've chosen not to go. I'll find out through the DA or the various lawyers involved.

I probably won't bother with making any attempts to leave and re-enter the room. Most likely, I'll leave after she's settled in and feeling comfortable, then go back for the afternoon visit. If my guess is correct that he'll end up in Ontario, then the drive back would be a long one anyway, and my mom doesn't do well with staying up late or returning to a house with no dog (she keeps forgetting that she has a security system); we'd have to wait until the next day to make the drive home.

I'm hoping to re-arrange my work schedule so that we can go during the week, perhaps a Tuesday visit, when the crowds are low, as crowds make my mom edgy. I doubt that the COs will necessarily understand the idea of a visitor with dementia acting oddly due to fear of crowds, so I want her to go when there are the least number of stressors possible - the prison itself will be stressful enough.

Unfortunately, up until this point, my mom hadn't quite realized the enormity of the situation. We picked up his belongings from the county jail last Monday and mom had a complete nervous breakdown. Reality finally hit home. So while I would really like to visit my dad very soon (haven't seen him at all since before July of last year), I'm kind of glad for the break while he's in intake so I can help re-orient my mom and get her more settled.

While I've never visited anyone in prison before, I imagine "behaving oddly" is not considered a good thing by the COs.

Scott, I'll take you up on that offer - I know the prison system must have a way of putting notes on a visitor's file. I witnessed the difference in how my mom was treated by jail staff when they pulled up her file and read the note about her having dementia. At least it would explain the erratic behavior to someone. There's a Japanese saying: "There is no such thing as being overly prepared." I think that applies here.

Thank you all again for your input and guidance.