Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Marty's Wife

Thanked 9,534 Times in 3,740 Posts
Default Suffering! Is suffering in this life from God? Should you or me be exempt?

I read so many times people who get angry at God for something that happened in their life where they are placed in a position of suffering. I remember full well the grandmother of a girl kidnapped and killed in Sonoma County years ago. She renounced God and she said how dare God allow that to happen to her.

hmmmmmmm Who isn't suffering on this planet? We all suffer in different ways. True some suffering seems worst than anothers but still should anyone be exempt? Are they special that their family members or loved ones should never die, be hurt by others, get a disease, get on drugs, go to prison, commit a crime, be a victim of a crime...I mean c'mon it's life.

Is our suffering really God's fault? What are your thoughts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esteli For This Useful Post:
SpicaRigel (04-02-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2011, 01:53 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,598 Times in 5,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteli View Post
I read so many times people who get angry at God for something that happened in their life where they are placed in a position of suffering. I remember full well the grandmother of a girl kidnapped and killed in Sonoma County years ago. She renounced God and she said how dare God allow that to happen to her.

hmmmmmmm Who isn't suffering on this planet? We all suffer in different ways. True some suffering seems worst than anothers but still should anyone be exempt? Are they special that their family members or loved ones should never die, be hurt by others, get a disease, get on drugs, go to prison, commit a crime, be a victim of a crime...I mean c'mon it's life.

Is our suffering really God's fault? What are your thoughts?
Are you talking about Polly Klass? I know her father and grandfather, both are very spiritual men... Joe, her grandfather im amazed at his sense of humor and her dad is a VERY talented artist. He invited me to his studio just the other day.
I do not see God as a punishing God.
Like you, I was brought up Catholic. I dont know about you but I grew up fearful of God, that he was punishing and vengeful.
Not anymore.
Now that i got to experience His Presence I know there is nothing judgemental or angry about Him. He is nothing but LOVE.
I think we humans assign all these human traits to God...he ISNT human! He is GOD. He is the I AM.
I believe in our effort to explain our existance, how we got here, where we are going...how all of THIS came to be, we created God in our image, not the opposite...He created us in His image.
Like the ancient Greeks and Romans who had angry Gods that threw lightning bolts down from Mt.Vesuvius, I think early Christians develpoed a same sort of deity.
No, God absolutley does not inflict pain and suffering on us, that is not Him.
We are human and expereience the natural consequences of being that...we get sick, we die...
The Earth is in constant change, hence we are subjected to the natural laws of land changes, and weather. We have earthquakes and volcano's, people die. We have tornados and hurricanes and people die.
There is a steady stream of souls coming to earth and leaving earth all the time. If you get here you are subject to all the things that befall all people.
No one gets singled out for punishment.
People get disease, cars crash, airplanes fall out of the sky, people slip in the shower.
One method of checking out is no "worse" than another. You are going to move on one way or the other.
I loved when Elisabeth Edwards disclosed she had cancer. She said when she found the lump, she blessed it. She went on to educate alot of people about breast cancer before she died. She never felt like a victim.
When I look at my life and see the deck of cards I got dealt I guess I could feel sorry for myself. Alcoholism, addiction, Gender Dysphoria... hey, Im using it as vehicle for growth and educating people...
I Love God and Im grateful for everything He has given me.
Arent we all lucky to have such a Father?
And i want to add he manifests Himself through everyones religion, no matter which one you subscribe to.

Last edited by SpicaRigel; 04-02-2011 at 01:57 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SpicaRigel For This Useful Post:
esteli (04-03-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 07:07 PM

God does not 'put anything on us. But He does allow trials in our life for our betterment. He never said He would deliver us 'out of' the fire, but rather walk
with us through the fire. trials are a way for us to see our need of Him.
the enemy, satan, does inflict things on us. he wants us to fail as a child of God
and will do whatever he can to destroy us.
there will come a day of judgement when satan and all who follow him will be destroyed.
it is a matter of trusting that God will take what the enemy meant for evil, and He will turn it to good.
I could have become angry at God for allowing my son to go to prison after I prayed for Him to save my son. I did become somewhat depressed for a while but my Lord never left me. and now I see that prison (for now) is best for my son.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d'gal For This Useful Post:
esteli (04-03-2011), HesMyForever (04-02-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Marty's Wife

Thanked 9,534 Times in 3,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicaRigel View Post
Are you talking about Polly Klass? I know her father and grandfather, both are very spiritual men... Joe, her grandfather im amazed at his sense of humor and her dad is a VERY talented artist. He invited me to his studio just the other day.
I do not see God as a punishing God.
Like you, I was brought up Catholic. I dont know about you but I grew up fearful of God, that he was punishing and vengeful.
Not anymore.
Now that i got to experience His Presence I know there is nothing judgemental or angry about Him. He is nothing but LOVE.
I think we humans assign all these human traits to God...he ISNT human! He is GOD. He is the I AM.
I believe in our effort to explain our existance, how we got here, where we are going...how all of THIS came to be, we created God in our image, not the opposite...He created us in His image.
Like the ancient Greeks and Romans who had angry Gods that threw lightning bolts down from Mt.Vesuvius, I think early Christians develpoed a same sort of deity.
No, God absolutley does not inflict pain and suffering on us, that is not Him.
We are human and expereience the natural consequences of being that...we get sick, we die...
The Earth is in constant change, hence we are subjected to the natural laws of land changes, and weather. We have earthquakes and volcano's, people die. We have tornados and hurricanes and people die.
There is a steady stream of souls coming to earth and leaving earth all the time. If you get here you are subject to all the things that befall all people.
No one gets singled out for punishment.
People get disease, cars crash, airplanes fall out of the sky, people slip in the shower.
One method of checking out is no "worse" than another. You are going to move on one way or the other.
I loved when Elisabeth Edwards disclosed she had cancer. She said when she found the lump, she blessed it. She went on to educate alot of people about breast cancer before she died. She never felt like a victim.
When I look at my life and see the deck of cards I got dealt I guess I could feel sorry for myself. Alcoholism, addiction, Gender Dysphoria... hey, Im using it as vehicle for growth and educating people...
I Love God and Im grateful for everything He has given me.
Arent we all lucky to have such a Father?
And i want to add he manifests Himself through everyones religion, no matter which one you subscribe to.
No, I'm NOT talking about the Klass family. I'm talking about a kidnapping that happened before the Polly Klass murder.

Nice post Dana, very deep and spiritual. Yes, I grew up Catholic but unlike you and all the others who speak so poorly of the Catholic religion, I did not grow up fearful of God. I got another side of the Catholic religion. I got to see the lives of Saints and I came to truly admire and adore how they lived their entire lives for God, the sacrifices, the devotion, the giving, etc. Oh....and yes I did meet Mother Teresa. I saw that side of devotion and love.

During the time of suffering in my life, I never gave up prayer. I never gave up believing and when it was all said and done, I recovered, my record got expunged and I'm a whole new me on the other side.

For example, when I got the news that I had a grapefruit size cancer tumor in my leg. Everyone said I'd lose my leg, doctors and all, or that I'd lose my life because they it has spread by then. I remember praying and I just gave in and said, God if it's my time, ok, I'm ready, let's go...

I'm not sure but it was somehow the giving in to his Will that did it. Suddenly things changed, I didn't lose my leg, I completely recovered, I'm all right when I was so close to everything being so wrong.

So do you just instead of getting angry, keep on keeping on with God. For me, that's my secret to getting though it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esteli For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (04-03-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 AM

one other point in regards to the question...'should we be exempt'?

not once in the Old or New Testament did God ever take His children out of the fire. or trials.
He said we would have these in our life, and that He would walk with us through them.
in the Last Days, before Christs return, during the time of great tribulation, Christians
will have great persecution, even to death. yes it is a fearful thought, but by Gods Grace we can & will stand for Him to the end of days to His return.
The Following User Says Thank You to d'gal For This Useful Post:
esteli (04-07-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Always Us Never Them!

People kill me they always asking if there a god why do they have to suffer jesus suffer for us so why do we think we are special people looks at the suffering but they dont ask them why do god allow the suffering he wants us to seek him and only him so he can deliver us from our sufferring so we can give him the glory and tell others sinners how he brought us out so they can believe if god did it for us he will do it for them,our people lack knowledge and understanding we need to start asking god for understanding.
The Following User Says Thank You to chaney&jo For This Useful Post:
esteli (09-02-2011)