Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > NY DOC - What You Need to Know > New York Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss New York State prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the New York forum.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:27 AM

Default New York Discontinuing Packages from home to inmates effective June 2018

My son called me last week and told me that they were informed that packages from home was going to soon be discontinued. He said that there was no set date given, and that until it was posted officially, to keep sending them. Just wanted to know if anyone else has heard the same thing? He is in Gowanda.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2016, 12:12 PM

It's true. It's going to occur statewide. They are currently working with a vendor to make sure that the vendor can provide everything that they need; but they haven't given a date and the directive hasn't been updated as of yet. Also, no canned goods effective this month already at some facilities...for the rest, it's the beginning of next month. And no hoodies effective the end of May/beginning of June.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dez View Post
.....They are currently working with a vendor to make sure that the vendor can provide everything that they need.....
As far as you know, are they going to appoint just one single vendor?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:36 PM

I don't know any specifics other than what I posted here. I tried asking this past weekend; but the CO's that were at the package desk weren't the ones that I normally deal with and they really didn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combs View Post
As far as you know, are they going to appoint just one single vendor?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:20 PM

Yea I heard that too. Instead of cans now, they will only allow those pouches. I actually hope they get an approved vendor, cuz I'm tired of them sending everything back from Union supply and bust a move ������ it comes out his commissary.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Donation Award 

well, I used access securepak and he never got any of the package or was even told the package had arrived! It was my first time using that vendor and I will never use them again. I called the package room and they were no help. I was told to have him file a grievance. Now I'm out the $$$ of the package he is still without his goodies. package was supposedly delivered on july 28th per the vendor and today is August 8th.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:23 PM

I followed the rules to a T and still they took more than half that I sent him! The excuse was if they can buy it on commisary they cant get it in a package ! So he donated the items instead of the $25 it would have cost him to send them back !! I said well at least they donated it and he said yeah to the CO's !!! I smell a scam !!!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:34 PM

I went to Livingston for the time today and I am VERY familiar with the rules and restrictions and out of all things they wouldn't allow him polos! I said your kidding right? They were the same exact ones I sent him when in Gouverneur that magically came up missing when he went to the box.. Ah.. Oh and they "can't locate" at the moment the package that I mailed and arrived on Tuesday.. Someone isn't going to like hearing my mouth when Monday comes!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:09 AM

Seems like Governeur let A LOT of things slide that other facilities bounce. I had a LO there and when he moved to Gowanda they took his sneakers - ones that he had given to him twice without incident at Gov. and had for 2 years, and Gowanda found a problem with them.

I don't know if Livingston is the same as Groveland (across the street, so, same PO), but I will tell you that there is a HUGE delay in the mail there. I mean significant. It took upwards of 20 days for a letter I wrote to get received by my LO. When he sends letters, I don't get them for three weeks usually - and he puts them in the box, and they are not post marked by the Sonyea PO until the day before it reaches me... which means the facility is hanging on to that mail for WEEKS. He had also sent out mail - which happened to be his POA paperwork along with a letter - and a CO approached him and said he found it in the desk under some things along with a letter from me. Given, my LO job has him working during mail call, and it seems they hold it excessively. They also said his outgoing mail was "caught in the machine" - ironic for his legal mail to be held up like that.

Packages have not been terrible - I have found that mailing on a Monday morning, they arrive by Tuesday afternoon and then are given to them by Thursday's package call in the morning. I do it that way so it doesnt get held up in the package room over the weekend.

Anyway. good luck, and I share your frustration... but be careful with calling and causing too much attention - never know what the outcome will be to your LO.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:16 AM

I just wanted to know the reason for the polos really because in any facility he was allowed to have. And just didn't get clear answer but totally understand what you mean. I was going to ask for more of answers rather then tell them who I was and etc. And I gave up with sneakers after I have 4 pairs home new in boxes he wasn't able to have haha
Old 08-14-2016, 09:24 AM

LOL! I know. This sneaker thing kills me. I'd be ticked about the polos too... the directive only says tee-shirts, but then, it seems to say they are permitted...

"Includes turtleneck, mock turtleneck, and polo styles; manufacturer's logo (e.g. fox, alligator, etc.), not to exceed 2" x 2" permitted"

So, if they were NOT allowed, it would say "no" before it, like "No pockets".... I would call too, but give no identifying information. Just play dumb and see what they say. I have seen lots of inmates wearing the polos... it could have been the color?

"blue, black, gray or orange colors are not permitted. Any shades of colors such as melon, peach, aqua, etc. that are not readily distinguishable from blue, black, gray or orange are not permitted. Solid colors only, except where indicated."

I'd love to know how this works out
Old 11-22-2016, 09:04 PM

Have they discontinued packages from home yet? If not , has a date been given?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 PM

No discontinuation yet. Directive still applies.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM

My man got the memo a couple days ago. The directive was passed and goes into effect June 2018.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dez For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-20-2017)