Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,437 Times in 12,877 Posts

Dreamer's, so far, have not been immune to arrest and detention. Legitimate visa holders, employed in the U.S. have been turned away at the Canadian border.

‘Makes absolutely no sense’: Canadian nurses banned from their Detroit jobs under new Trump rules

New immigration policies put in place by President Donald Trump have already had consequences for some Canadian nurses with jobs in the United States.
According to CBC News, Canadian nurses returning to their jobs last week were shocked when they were turned away by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agents.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/mak...w-trump-rules/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-20-2017), sidewalker (03-21-2017), yourself (03-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,603 Times in 4,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
I agree. These kids had no choice in the matter and do deserve protection. They are completely innocent. It's the adults who make the choice to circumvent the immigration system I have a problem with.
This is one of the most common situation where I live.

We see it as punishing the adults, but it's a bigger issue than that. The families I know are hoping to place their teenagers with others so they can finish school. The children under 12 are most often going with the parents. These are working, middle-class families. They're losing their jobs so there is no money to send back to the families caring for their older kids, they have to focus on resettling in a country they may not have been inside of for 15-20 years. The younger children need to be enrolled in school but most often, they're ahead of their grade level (between US and Mexican public schools) so they're displaced in that area, as well.

Unless your native roots are incredibly deep, we're all immigrants here. My family showed up because my great, great grandfather was accused of being a horse thief in Ireland and it was flee or be strung up. I think Trump would call him a "bad hombre". Irish were not popular immigrants, either. My grandfather would have been a Dreamer. He was a shy, freckled, skinny kid who played basketball and joined the Navy after high school. He married my Ozark-born grandmother and they had a good life.

The kids I reference above are my grandpa. Would he have thrived having his dad ripped from his life because he was undocumented? I don't know. I'm extremely grateful I don't know. I am pro-pathway to citizenship.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-20-2017), sidewalker (03-21-2017), yourself (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM
attorney

Thanked 18,220 Times in 6,670 Posts

Trump is an anchor baby.

Those whose ancestors came over as slaves did not immigrate.

Ripping apart a family because somebody's not here legally is like arresting a speeder, taking him to jail, and either sticking the kids in the car in foster care or leaving them on the side of the road. It's just moronic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-20-2017), sidewalker (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,603 Times in 4,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Ripping apart a family because somebody's not here legally is like arresting a speeder, taking him to jail, and either sticking the kids in the car in foster care or leaving them on the side of the road. It's just moronic.
It's interesting how subjective "family values" are when we start speaking in practical terms.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:06 AM
Donation Award 

As someone who lives in an area where ICE raids are happening this sickens me. Whether the immigrants are doctors, students or farm workers it is not ok for this to be happening.

My ex-bf fled Vietnam during the aftermath of the Vietnam war when the north invaded the south. He was around 7yrs old running through the deep jungle with his mother and brother trying to escape the soldiers capturing anyone in the south. They were caught and were forced into the reeducation camps where they starved his mother, him and brother and treated them like prisoners in their own country. He watched them beat and torture his mother. They beat him too. He left out a lot of details because it was a very traumatic event and he can't remember all of it. They were eventually released when he was around 8/9yrs old and had family help them get to America.

Now, when anyone says they don't want anyone to come here illegally tell me would you like to tell a mother and 2 children they should not come and face torture and/or death in their home country instead? Of course not every immigrant is my ex's story. Though the story is common enough to say they simply want to escape their homeland for a better life or a life at all. If/when they do want to come the path to citizenship is not short. It takes over a decade at times. My friends cousin who was living in the Philippines applied for citizenship at 10yrs old because it takes that long. When she turned 17 she flew to stay with the family here. She's still not a citizen by the time she came here.

But sure in the meantime people should stay poor, face torture or death, bombings, lack of quality of life and wait the several years to get to the next process because coming here without citizenship is illegal.

This thread is great info and anyone who comes here should know their rights. Also, for how this will have a ripple effect on our economy. We are not a small country where dealing with immigration is simpler and would have a more immediate effect in the long or short term of enforcement. Rounding up immigrants like cattle and deporting them is not going to effect us positively in the short or long term. This will only hurt us as a whole.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silenus For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-21-2017), sidewalker (03-22-2017), yourself (03-21-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 01:38 PM

Here in Washington State most counties are solidly red. Here's what the state association of county sheriffs, most of them from red counties, think about ICE.

http://www.chronline.com/opinion/let...3c6c1efd3.html

Quote:
Washington’s sheriffs will work with federal partners to find effective, legal means to protect our local communities. But sheriffs will not ignore their oaths to uphold the Constitution as they work to protect lives and property. Sheriffs will not be deterred from their core mission by arbitrary federal mandates or threats. We hope that there will be open and honest consideration of our issues to find a cooperative and legal path forward.
The sheriff who wrote that is from a county that went solidly for Trump. He's not in a career famous for attracting liberals.

Over in the bright blue county that has Seattle in it, the sheriff is on board with most of the ACLU's 9 model principles.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,869 Times in 9,462 Posts

Here's the other part of what's wrong: Our hands are the ones who, often enough, started trouble in the countries whose people 'we' seek to deport. Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Syria, Afghanistan, Iran......and on and on. If you ever read history, you find our bloody fingerprints all over these countries. Check out the Dulles brothers, if you need a place to start.

We destabilize them and then tell them it's their own failings that toppled their countries, then we tell them they can't come here for redress of grievances or just to get back to a normal-ish life. It's pathetic, selfish, short-sighted and small-minded, not to mention immoral.