Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:41 PM

Hi I live about ten minutes away from Milton I recently lost my car I am ten minutes away from my son I can't go visit because I live in the country does anyone carpool I have not seen him in a month
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2015, 04:00 PM

Default Maplehurst

Hey Everyone,

My boyfriend has just been sentenced 12 months.

I've been told he will be proceed there... and then he will either be transferred to another facility - or there is a slight possibility he could remain there.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Please let me know.
I've heard he could go to penetanguishene..?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:41 PM

Default Maplehurst inmate separation

Hi all,
First time on the forum , my husband will land at maplehurst tomorrow just wondering if the pods are designated by convicted or remanded? Or by the duration of their stay? I won't be able to visit for a couple days and since he shouldn't be there long I'm worried something will happen inside to extend his stay. In other words hoping he is put with a chill group lol. Any info is appreciated.

Cheers
Old 03-19-2017, 01:14 PM
OnparoleinTO

hi BranRenee - I guess you had your visit by now... hope it went well. Maplehurst is supposed to be organized by remand, etc. but often that doesn't happen, as I understand it. When I was first there - remand - I was in a cell with 2 guys from the federal system waiting for court appearances. Like all provincial jails, Maplehurst is a pretty terrible place.

Not sure what you mean by 'extending his time'. Is your LO going on to the federal system? I may be able to help answer questions about that, as that's where I spent most of my time.

Hope all goes well for you; ask if you want to know more.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info, I have visited and put money on his account, he says he is lucky to be in a decent pod and has a good roommate, court date is Thursday so hopefully he is out on probation otherwise he will go back........my concern is he was arrested unexpectedly , at work and now has lost his job so he is angry and confused he still has no idea what his breach was to end up there. I am worried he will get in a fight and that will look bad on his court date.

Here's a question ....... If a letter arrives for him at the jail on tuesday morning will he receive it by Wed?

Thanks so much for responding ....
Old 03-19-2017, 06:18 PM
OnparoleinTO

Haven't they told him why he was rearrested? They are certainly supposed to have done that. Does he have a lawyer? If so the lawyer should know what the Crown is proposing. Was he on bail or probation or parole when arrested? It makes no sense that he doesn't know. Could there be more to the story than he's telling you?

As for a fight - that's up to him. Learning to control your temper is pretty key to making it through the jail experience. I'm sure you know this already.

Letter - normally yes he should get it the same day, but you can never be sure that will happen. It can depend on how the guard on duty feels. But the odds are he'll get it.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM

lawyer was on vacation, and the sub was useless........ hoping he finds out what is going on tomorrow (Monday), he seems to be keeping his cool which makes me feel better........thanks for responding to the mail question I really want him to receive my card by wed since court is Thursday......take care!!!

Cheers!!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadesgirls View Post
Hi There,

My husband is currently at Maplehurst. I have to agree, the guards are complete creeps there. And it does not matter how nice or polite you are to them. The female guards are some of the most ignorant people I have ever encountered!! Up until Nov 13, my husband had a 'No Contact Order' with me. I have been attending the prison on a weekly basis so that our children can see their father and put money in his canteen. Absolutely every single time I have been to the facility, the female guards that sign visitors in have been rude, disrespectful, unprofessional and even lowered themselves to verbally insult me in front of my children. My uncle is a retired Police Chief and I wanted to be a police officer when I was 22. I share this to hopefully help you understand that I have no reason to be bias against the guards at Maplehurst. Every time I call, they are very polite and courteous in answering my questions. But when I attend in person it is a completely different story. I am a well educated and accomplished woman. I am not white trash or an inmate, yet, that is how I am made to feel every time I go.

My latest experience with them went like this:
The no contact order was lifted on November 13. I went to visit my husband for the first time in 6 months on November 14. I was advised that they did not receive word that the order had been lifted. I thought to myself, okay, maybe it takes a couple days to go through the proper channels to have the information on their computers updated. I asked if I could at least put money in his canteen, again, I was refused. I left without incident. Then on Saturday, November 16, I went to the prison with my daughters, who are 10 and 7, along with my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law came with us because only two visitors are allowed at a time. The plan was for her to sit with one of my children, while I visited my husband with the other. We approached the glass, and before a word was even spoken, they looked at each other and exchanged snide remarks. The first guard asked for our ID, I gave her our 3 passports and told her that I would be going to visit my husband with one of my girls at a time for a 20 minute visit for each of them with their dad. She then says to me, 'you're not going in', I asked why and explained that the order had been lifted. Please remember, my two children are at the window with me. This guard went off on me saying, who did I think I was telling her how to do her job, and that I should be ashamed of myself for bringing my children there every week. Well, that was it, I had had enough!! I stood my ground and told her that she needed a lesson in manners and how to deal with the public. I said it is stressful enough having to come to this place, without her having to make it worse. I said you are a Civil Servant, I pay my taxes, which in turn pay your wages. Where do you get off thinking you can speak to me in this manner. I am not a criminal and not an inmate. I said, how much effort does it take to be such a miserable cow every single day that you come to work. She just gave me a smug look and laughed at me. I told my mother-in-law that she would have to take the girls to visit their dad again. I then went to the next window to put money in his canteen. Of course, I had to have my 10 year old put the money in because the second guard refused allowing me to put it in. I then went and sat in the waiting area with my 10 year old. About 15 minutes later, a Police Officer approached me and asked if he could speak with me outside. I asked if my daughter should come as well, he said no. I followed him out to the foyer of the prison where he proceeded to tell me that if my daughter had not been with me, I would be in hand cuffs. One of the female guards and I gather, her supervisor, along with myself and two officers now. I asked what he was talking about, had I committed a crime and he said no. He then proceeded to tell me that I was banned from the institution because I was rude to one of the female guards when trying to visit. I couldn't believe what I was hearing!! He said that I was a security risk and the guards did not want me on the property again. I went back inside and gathered my daughter and my belongings. The two officers were waiting for me outside and walked me to my vehicle. Funny how the one officer spoke to me had a change of attitude when he saw I was driving a BMW X6. He became more gentle in his tone and said, Ma'am, I'm sorry you had to leave, but you need to understand that the guards deal with all kinds of undesirable people and they just become conditioned to be brash. I said, I understand that, but I have never been the slightest bit rude to either of them. It is a if they were bullies on the playground and made it personal. I shared that my uncle was a retired Police Chief, the second officer finally says something lol, he asked my uncle's name. He had worked under my uncle when he first became an officer and he new many of my friends on the force. It amazed me the change in treatment when they realized that I am a respectful woman. The one that had done most of the talking actually gave me his card and wrote on the back of it. He gave me the name of who I should file a complaint with!!! Unbelievable!!

Trust me, I have been in touch with the Ontario Ombudsman, Andre Marin, a lawyer who specializes in inmate abuse and the CBC. The person at CBC that I spoke with said this is a concern they are fully aware of and their are 5 prisons across Ontario that are under investigation due to the behavior of their guards and Maplehurst is one of them. I am trying to plan a peace rally out front of the prison. Anyone who would like more information on joining other family members of inmates at Maplehurst for the rally, please message me on here.

In closing, I am only sharing my personal experiences. I hope that not everyone who visits Maplehurst is treated so poorly.
Hi Shadesgirls, thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed reading it and it was very informational. I hope your appeal is successful and you get to resume your visits.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweet_mieze For This Useful Post:
David (04-07-2017)