Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Prison discipline is usually administered in a kangaroo court, so fairness to the inmates is rarely a consideration. I think Jim Croce was singing about prisons "don't spit into the wind or tug on Superman's cape."

In federal prisons, the inmates are marked as "complainers" in their administrative files, which never changes. Tell him to choose his battles carefully.
Thank you for the information I really appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to lareinemoi_3 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareinemoi_3 View Post
Hey kind of new here. Wanted to know what can i do in order to help my husband out of SHU being that hes in there for no real reason

I dont know much about that, but I think your best option is to google a lawyer who specializes in "in-prison" criminal law. Most lawyers will offer one free consultation. They will likely have a better idea of your options. Also if the first one you contact is a jerk, call another. I had to do this in a different situation, it sucks, but eventually you will find a decent human who will do their best to advise you on your options.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
I dont know much about that, but I think your best option is to google a lawyer who specializes in "in-prison" criminal law. Most lawyers will offer one free consultation. They will likely have a better idea of your options. Also if the first one you contact is a jerk, call another. I had to do this in a different situation, it sucks, but eventually you will find a decent human who will do their best to advise you on your options.
Thank you I will try that and see if someone can help
Old 03-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Faith , Hope & Love

I have been dealing with my LO in Seg , he been in there since December , I am just going to continue to battle with the officials , especially as he has paper work to say he is out of seg but waiting on bed space , this has been since Jan , so now its just plain torture. I have been on the phone to the prison and their head quarters for 2 months , each time I do get a lil further but still.....
Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Alaska is investigating some reforms, keeping an eye on safety. One is to provide a room designed not to drive humans crazy.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/DOC...428538183.html

Here's an example of the kind of thing they might change:
Quote:
"How it is now," said Busby. "An inmate can request segregation, and rather than argue with them, we'll let them go and we won't talk to them again for 30 days. That's when they're due for their next hearing. So we're going to put more checks in the way during the 30 days to get them to come out."
Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 AM

North Carolina will try shorter sentences to SHU, limiting it to severe and moderate offenses, and requiring mental health to be considered.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...162331683.html

Quote:
Robert Webster, a former state prison captain, said that while he has not yet read the new disciplinary policy, it sounds like a “double-edged sword.”
He’s concerned that the policy may send inmates the message that they will face few consequence if they refuse to obey orders. But he’s pleased that prisoners who break the rules will spend less time in solitary.
“It’s a proven fact that the longer they spend in segregation, the worse they get,” Webster said.
fbopnomore (07-20-2017), His_Queen13 (07-21-2017), Tina (07-23-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:34 AM

Well, it sounded like a good idea to let people out for seven hours a day but chained to a desk to keep them from attacking anyone else.

https://www.propublica.org/article/o...causes-trouble

Quote:
Young adults began moving into the Enhanced Supervision Housing units in September 2016. Over the following six months, they were involved in six slashings in the units. Nearly 40 percent of all unit inmates suffered some form of injury. Rikers officials have long sought to bring down the number of slashings, fistfights and other violent episodes that plague the facility near daily. Neither the board nor the department provided specific details on how inmates smuggled weapons into the units or broke free of their shackles to harm one another.
I wonder why Colorado had better results.

One conclusion jumps out. Solitary should be reserved for dangerous people and not wasted on people who phone a call-in show, write books, or help other inmates with grievances. I can put a name to each of those.
fbopnomore (07-29-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 PM

https://www.vera.org/projects/reduci...ion/learn-more is an interesting read. It's from people who pass along lessons learned by prison administrators who've safely reduced the use of solitary confinement.

Another one that describes what different facilities have tried and what the results were is at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/us...nfinement.html.
Quote:
What was surprising was what happened next. Instead of tightening restrictions further, prison officials loosened them.
They allowed most inmates out of their cells for hours each day. They built a basketball court and a group dining area. They put rehabilitation programs in place and let prisoners work their way to greater privileges.
Continue reading the main story
In response, the inmates became better behaved. Violence went down.
There's more. What it adds up to is, God help the fool who lets a real-life Hannibal Lecter out of his cell without handcuffs, but for most cases prolonged solitary just makes people even harder to manage.